[SR6] House Rules feedback

• 9 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« on: <09-06-19/0053:46> »
Figured I'd kick off a separate topic.

So, I see people are making houserules to restrict Anticipation. Just a minor note: This one is undergoing clarification of intent, nothing too drastic but with a significant impact nonetheless. You'd be surprised at how one of the biggest concerns will just poof.

Not that there's anything wrong with making a rule right now. =) We have to wait for it to release after all. =3=
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-06-19/1502:37> »
Contacts can start with Loyalty capped by Charisma but Connection Rating can go to Cha+2.  Max cap is still 6 on Connection and Loyalty...??
I like the buff, but it feels like a bit of a shame that the ratings are suddenly capped at 6, meaning a high-Charisma character cannot get that Connection 8/8 contact in chargen. More balancing Elves, I guess.

2 EDGE gain cap per combat turn: cap are only for storing EDGE, you still gain EDGE after that but must use it immediately.

Quickening Metamagic : Ban it for PC, make it dragon magic, immortal elf magic or anythings than PC can't get.

PC can't buy anything beyond Availability 9: Don't know it's already RAW or not (in the book, availability table cap at 9), anything beyond that must be given by DM.
With Edge, I would still restrict to 2 max per Action though, even if it's more than 2 per turn.

With Quickening, I think my houserules from SR5 are a bit more balancing, with being forced to buy hits. (In SR5 I also blocked overcasting.) It's a shame to completely cut it out, unless you really feel like it's not easily balancable at your table.

As for Availability >9, doesn't that harm Cyberlimbers? Means a Troll can never get a 13-Strength arm, unless you introduce another houserule to balance that out. I do think cutting out Seven-7 is a smart idea. :P

Ok, house rule tweak:
1.Grenades and explosives counts all armor as hardened.
2.Anti armor explosives ignore x points of armor, where x is their adjusted DV.

Effects:
-grenades are dangerous but not portable nukes anymore.
-armor is back to having a use
-anti vehicle rockets is actually usefull.
So 60ish% chance of not falling in a coma to a grenade if wearing a bomb squad suit.
Feels right. Toasty but alive if 5 m from a grenade with a military vest and helmet.
Chunky salsa if not wearing armor 3m from a grenade
Asides from the 'armor is back to having a use', which I find does not represent the reality of AR vs DR, I do believe grenades need a solid nerf. So it feels interesting. Though I utterly dislike bringing Chunky Salsa back.

Kirklins

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-19/1144:12> »
- 2 edge max gained per ACTION, including temporary Edge. So a Jumped-In Rigger with Thermographic vision at night and a massive Attack Rating still only gets 2 Edge. (This to keep the hard cap on.)

I think I prefer 2 edge max gained per TURN, including temporary edge. So the Jumped-In Rigger with Thermographic vision at night and a massive Attack Rating doesn't get 2 edge for the attack and 2 edge for the second attack, but can still get 2 edge on his turn and 2 while defending.
GM in training
for a long, long time now

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-08-19/1256:35> »
Good point, though maybe make it offensive turn and defensive action?

Kirklins

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-08-19/1354:11> »
So if I'm out of actions but under attack, should I get edge if my DR  is significantly better than their AR?

Note this is at root an action economy issue, which plays out in other situations as well. Like grunt groups.
GM in training

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <09-08-19/1411:22> »
At that point you're part of the enemy's action so yes. =P Once per Action I mean anyone's that involves you.

Kirklins

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-08-19/1447:05> »
Had my mind wrapped around player's action. Duh, and okay.
GM in training

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <09-08-19/1500:10> »
Aight, updated my post in the houserules topic. Thanks for the feedback!

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-11-19/2212:21> »
Dynamic Edge:
- 2 edge max gained per Player Turn or Enemy Action, including temporary Edge. So a Jumped-In Rigger with Thermographic vision at night and a massive Attack Rating attacking twice still only gets 2 Edge, but you can earn 2 Edge per action you are attacked. (This to keep the hard cap on while giving you a bonus if you're attacked a lot.)
- 2 edge KEPT max per combat round, this means any Edge kept past the Action it was received in. If you spend it, it doesn't count against the limit (makes it more dynamic)
- During encounters, max Edge is 9, meaning high-Edge peeps don't have to spend it at once but actually can save up a bit

I'd like to revisit this. Specifically, I'd like to look at temporary Edge. My caveat is that I haven't played 6th Edition yet so I don't know what's realistic and what's improbable.

+2 max per Player Turn or Enemy Action, check.

+2 max KEPT per Combat Round, check.

My concern is the temporary Edge and how it's stored up over the course of a Combat Round and eventually spent. Michael's example of the the jumped-in Rigger with huge advantages on both attack and defense will work well for our purposes.

My caution is around what the temporary Edge is allowed to do. Let's say the rigger attacks and in the process of that earns his or her 2 Edge and banks it, but then is attacked 3 times. Each time would potentially earn 2 points of (temporary) Edge, for up to 6 temporary Edge over the course of a Combat Round. At the present, there's nothing preventing a surge in Initiative (spending 1 temporary Edge), or donating Edge to allies (2 temporary Edge), or healing a box of Stun (3 temporary Edge), or healing a box of Physical damage (4 temporary Edge), or creating a special effect (5 temporary Edge), or a combination of several of these since 6 temporary Edge is a lot. All of that is possible over the course of one Combat Round, and the effects will repeat again in the following Combat Rounds until the opposition is whittled away.

To control for this, I am considering a modification that requires that the temporary Edge be spent on the roll in which it is earned, and only on the Edge Boosts or Edge Actions that are relevant to that roll. Given the +2 Edge cap per player turn or enemy action, this would largely limit the use of temporary Edge to rerolling one die (1 point), add 1 to a single roll (2 points), or the 1- and 2-point Edge Actions that would be relevant to the roll at hand (e.g. Fire from Cover, Knockout Blow, Hit the Dirt, etc.).

Perhaps this is personal preference, but I would rather have Edge be a slight advantage that accumulates over time (i.e. a small modifier on each roll) rather than a massive advantage that can pay off significantly every Combat Round (i.e storing up temporary Edge for a big splash).

Interested in thoughts and feedback.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <09-12-19/0219:13> »
That was my intent, yes. Similar to qualities that say 'get 1 Edge when doing x but spend it on that action or lose it'.