NEWS

Upgrading a laptop MXM-based GPU

• 4 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <05-11-11/1035:09> »
I figure a number of folks here are tech-heads, so here goes.

I have an Alienware m15x laptop that has a dying graphics card. (nVidia 8700m GT)

It's out of warranty, but fortunately the GPU is a MXM III type which means it's theoretically upgradeable.

Are all MXM 3 cards compatible? Or do i need to get specific ones?

Does anyone have any recommendations that won't turn my laptop into a furnace?

Thanks!

-k

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #1 on: <05-11-11/1137:47> »
i'd ask dell/alienware first, before you do any further research.
they build/sell these things, they ought to know this stuff.
probably no dice in replacing/upgrading the card though.
That's an about 10% chance with laptops, at the most i'm afraid.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <05-11-11/1208:00> »
Well, Dell states that it's not upgradable, but they said that about my optical drive too, and I was able to upgrade that just fine.

The MXM-type GPU was specifically developed to be swappable. It was created as a "universal socket" much like PCI was created for desktop cards.

I just don't know if there are additional requirements, like X graphics board requires Y mainboard feature.

-k

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #3 on: <05-11-11/1218:53> »
easiest way would be to get the exact same part.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-11-11/1714:37> »
Before nVidia started including laptops in their unified driver packages I used http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ for info. I'd suggest starting there.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015