NEWS

[OOC] A Street Legends for VU93 Posters?

• 175 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #150 on: <04-30-12/0113:04> »
It's already in there, I just need to put someone's name on it.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Keita

• Omae
  • Between darkness and light.
« Reply #151 on: <05-13-12/0501:35> »
I'd have let Madre comment on Wyrm, but she doesn't fit the profile of any of the ones you want. And besides... ;)...Madre would probably be a bit snippy with him.  :P

Smiley, did Ray give you Money's info? I'm due to write him up, but I haven't recieved anything as yet.
"There are always consequences to our actions. We all must face what we have done, and submit to the justice of the pack. It may be that you will have to run alone from now on, but you cannot begin to fix what you broke without admitting that you broke it." - Madrecita's animal twin.

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #152 on: <05-14-12/2135:00> »
Sorry for the late response but no. I haven't received anything from Ray concerning Money.
"Fun? Frag yeah! Always is when that involves a bucket full of drek!"
-Smiley

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #153 on: <05-14-12/2228:20> »
I'd have let Madre comment on Wyrm, but she doesn't fit the profile of any of the ones you want. And besides... ;)...Madre would probably be a bit snippy with him.  :P

"Sorry for sending you into hell, Madrecita.  Well, not really."  ;)

How would YOU best define Madrecita in two or three words?  I think she might fit as one of the younger sorts, one way or the other.

Pananagutan & End/Line

Keita

• Omae
« Reply #154 on: <05-15-12/0239:41> »
How would I define Madre in two or three words? Fearless, wise, decisive.

Hehe. Madre is 60 years old, with 20 of those spent in the shadows, 13 of which was her vendetta against Aztechnology, and 7 running the shadows in general. She's not young by any means, but her fearlessness and Spanish cultural influences sometimes makes her bold, even reckless at times. She never jumps without looking, mind, which is why her snippyness toward Wyrm is not because of that run. She took it on willingly and doesn't hold grudges about it. No...her dislike stems from his superior attitude and condescention toward other runners.  ;)
"There are always consequences to our actions. We all must face what we have done, and submit to the justice of the pack. It may be that you will have to run alone from now on, but you cannot begin to fix what you broke without admitting that you broke it." - Madrecita's animal twin.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #155 on: <05-15-12/0348:34> »
Not to ... well, let's just say that in no way does Madrecita come across as being 60.  30, maybe 35 at the oldest -- and a 35 trying to hold onto the illusion she's still in her 20's.  Sorry.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #156 on: <05-15-12/0542:17> »
Yes, because all old people act the same.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Keita

• Omae
« Reply #157 on: <05-15-12/0646:34> »
No, she doesn't come across as being old. But bear in mind that she is an elf. Elves probably don't age the same way other metahumans do. 60 is probably not even middle age for an elf. She doesn't act 60 because she doesn't feel 60. There's no reason for her to act like an old babushka, so she doesn't. You would have a point if she was human...but she's not. Part of the reason I selected the elven metatype for her was for me to play arond with that a bit. Say you had a ton of life experience, plus your youth? What would you do with it? Go sit in an old age home because you're chronologically old? Or would you just get on with life and enjoy it? Add to that her bad past experience, and that she really doesn't have anything holding her back from living - no responsible corp job to hold down, no family to support, enough raw wealth to fall back on when times get tough and work is scarce - how else is she going to act? Really, it's not in her personality to become passive and contemplative. But don't think just because she doesn't act her age she isn't wise. She's not "trying to hold on to her youth". She never lost it. In short...Madre grew up, but she didn't grow old. She doesn't feel old, and she certainly doesn't look old, so why should she act old? The experience in her life, the wisdom she's gained, is applied in her life, in how she views the world and the people in it. It's also expressed in her magical ability. Being 60 doesn't mean you've seen it all, doesn't mean you can't learn. Madre learned that lesson in a very harsh way when she hit 40 and was cast into the shadows. She's learned to keep an open mind, in other words.
« Last Edit: <05-15-12/0656:08> by Keita »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #158 on: <05-15-12/1848:25> »
I do not deny your thought process, but as one of the first set of elves growing up in a world essentially as a human -- not unlike the Wyrm, in fact -- Madrecita is not going to have the example of older elves to 'compare' herself against.  In 500 years of Shadowrun time, a 60-year-old elf is still going to be in their late adolescence, I agree, because the first elven generation is, or could have been, only their great-grandparent.  The impact of growing up in a human-dominated world without older elves means your starting psychological framework is that of a human.  You think in human-timeline-scale, you act and react in human-timeline terms.  Right now, I bet you the IEs are looking at the first generations and going 'holy crap, is it like this every time?!?'

Wisdom and experience express themselves in, well, maturity.  Maturity expresses itself in refined passions, in focus, in drive, and usually in risk-taking only as needed -- 'look before you leap' as well as 'think before you speak'.  As one grows older one can experience psychological 'regression' of sorts -- the mid-life crisis is the classic example -- and go out and do the same sorts of crazy stuff you used to be able to do, usually winding up with saying the morning after, 'I'm getting too old for this shit.'  Madrecita, the Wyrm, and all the other early-century elves are really only now going to be starting to come to terms with what it means to be an elf.  The people they grew up with, the people with whom they have a shared history, are the ones getting old, who are 'getting too old for this shit', while they themselves are bouncing back in the morning like a randy 23-year-old.

Think of these two situations:
  • Madrecita attends her High School reunion, talking to people with whom she shares background and history -- can crack a joke in some 2030's slang, refers to a 2030's movie -- and they GET IT.  But when she says 'let's go out drinking all night', they simply can't.  They've got wrinkles on their faces and arthritis is starting to kick in.
  • Madrecita goes out drinking all night with people who look like she looks -- 23, 27, whatever.  They roust the bar, drinking until dawn and do baseball-bat drive-bys on mailboxes in the dead of night.  But when she cracks a 2030's joke, they have no idea what she's talking about, and look at her if she's a little crazy.

Both M and W grew up in a human culture.  Their referents are human.  If they were U2Cs, they'd expect to be well-placed in their business, at least at the lower edge of upper management, expecting grand-children any day now, etc. etc.  This is how their parents lived, and their friends, and almost everyone they knew.  This, in fact, is part of the issue with elven groups like the Ancients -- socially and psychologically, they are still human.  Low-echelon people and lieutenants expect to move up, but there is no room at the top -- because even though Green Lucifer (or whomever) has been the leader for 20 years, he's still '23 years old' and going strong, and GOING to be going strong for another seven or eight decades.

Elven society, and elven psychology, is not yet set in the minds of the elves of the 6th World.  Long-term thinking and planning, where 20 years is like 5 for a human, is yet not part of the SR elven mindset.  SR elves still think and act essentially like humans.  And only the oldest -- Madrecita and the Wyrm -- are getting the chance to come to terms with what a 300-year lifespan is going to be all about.

We're going to be partying hard with the great-grandchildren of our human high-school sweethearts.  But the social structure for that has yet to be developed.

Having thought about it at work today, I did realize that there IS one character who Madrecita would fit -- Yellow Rose of Texas.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #159 on: <05-15-12/1859:14> »
I dont know who your refering to as W Wyrm, be it yourself or me, but your right, Its an interesting thought process that starts when you start watching the guys you ran with in your first youth die of old age in retirement when they aren't orks or trolls.
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #160 on: <05-15-12/2345:56> »
... sorry, Wolfboy, but I really don't know who you are.  Within the post, I mention W(yrm) and M(adrecita).  Also don't know  what you're meaning to suggest in regards to 50-year-lifespan orks...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Keita

• Omae
« Reply #161 on: <05-16-12/0256:26> »
Well yes. Of course their reference points are still human. I'm not sure if you saw in some of Madrecita's posts, but she's made several references to that, about how painful it was for her to see all her old friends growing old while she didn't. That's one of the main reasons she didn't go back to Spain after concluding her business with the Azzies. And also why she remains in the shadows when she could probably have gone back to Europe and restarted her original carreer as a surgeon. I get what you're saying. But I'm saying that Madre's already started experiencing the effects of her longer life span. In that situation, when you become aware of the problem, you have very few options availible.

1) You can start associating only with other elves who still get you. (Isolate herself)
2) You can live in the now, and deal with things as they come. (Denial)
3) You can combine the two. (Deal as best you can). Live in the moment and deal with what's in front of you, but keep contact with others like you. This is what Madre is doing. This is one of the things that draws her and Iceblade together. They're both acutely aware of the dilemma they face, and they both know they need something to hold on to, something "permanent" in a world where almost everything else is transient.

These elves have to make things up as they go along, because they don't have any reference points, like you said. They have no other option but to deal as best they can and hope for the best. Madre isn't the sort who would isolate herself. In her view, she's still part of the world. She knows who she is and what she's capable of. And she knows what's coming. So what does she do? Her body tells her she can still party and do dangerous things. Her long life experience tells her what she is and isn't capable of, and gives her a solid basis to rationalise what's coming. So she parties and lives dangerously, but she does so as a calculated risk.

Again, I'm not sure if you noticed some of her and Ysoni's posts, how she interacts with him. That should also tell you something about her. She doesn't go out with Ysoni (he's in his 20s) or any of the kids she trained. Many of them see her as a mother figure, or an aunt. She could conceivably go out and party on their level if she wanted to, but mentally, she feels older than them. I showed that in many of the posts I made. Perhaps it's not that clear in the posts because they don't show Madre in her personal, day to day life, only how she works as a runner. In her professional life, she's going to make use of her young-feeling body and extensive experience to take on some very challenging runs. It gives her an edge that younger runners don't really have, and she's doing to push that advantage, and push herself, challenge herself.

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #162 on: <08-22-13/0011:39> »
Well, one of the other factors to consider is that some people also have tastes that lean them towards older things.  Like when one char went hunting for old TV shows from before the Crash.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #163 on: <03-14-14/1018:38> »
Is this still going on or should I just shuffle over to somewhere else?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #164 on: <03-14-14/1034:42> »
Well, if you want a profile done, in the way we were doing it, it helps to have some sort of history in the group.  Walking in on your first day (as it were) and wanting everyone who's been here a while to contribute to your brag sheet can get kind of awkward - resulting in a lot of 'I have no idea who this hoser is' kind of contributions.  No history, you know?
Pananagutan & End/Line