NEWS

Limit to Amp Up/Increase Area?

• 36 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <08-16-19/1933:16> »
Horrible idea. Player should be able to make a sacrifice play to save team. Knows going to die, so does a 9P fireball to clear out enemies. He fails Drain and dies, but saved team.
Strongly agree, both thematically and because that’s how it’s always worked in the past (IIRC). The problem to be fixed here is how 6e apparently doesn't place any limits on Amp Up.

Agreed, I still think my suggestion earlier in thread would solve most of concerns. Magicx3 or Magicx2 if you want to be super conservative.

I’d go limit of magic per category it can be amped. So if you have a 6 magic and area and damage can be amped up to 6 in each. I don’t think anything is gained by spells with a amped damage of 21 or something. Yeah that’s just grenade range but that’s more a function of grenades being too high in damage.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <08-16-19/2143:50> »
Horrible idea. Player should be able to make a sacrifice play to save team. Knows going to die, so does a 9P fireball to clear out enemies. He fails Drain and dies, but saved team.
Strongly agree, both thematically and because that’s how it’s always worked in the past (IIRC). The problem to be fixed here is how 6e apparently doesn't place any limits on Amp Up.

Agreed, I still think my suggestion earlier in thread would solve most of concerns. Magicx3 or Magicx2 if you want to be super conservative.

I’d go limit of magic per category it can be amped. So if you have a 6 magic and area and damage can be amped up to 6 in each. I don’t think anything is gained by spells with a amped damage of 21 or something. Yeah that’s just grenade range but that’s more a function of grenades being too high in damage.

Also reasonable. General consensus seems to be, "Tie the limit to the Magic Rating in some way." I still like the Magicx2 or Magicx3 for the "Go out with a bang!" effect. If you're ramping up that high, you're guaranteed to off yourself.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <08-17-19/0346:54> »
Less bookkeeping if each 'amp up category' is limited to your magic rating.

If your magic rating is 3 then you can amp up area up to 3 times and you can amp up damage up to 3 times. Simple. This is also already +9 Drain and will likely kill you. Is more really needed?

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-17-19/1617:28> »

If your magic rating is 3 then you can amp up area up to 3 times and you can amp up damage up to 3 times. Simple. This is also already +9 Drain and will likely kill you. Is more really needed?

If the goal is a sacrifice play to save your team, knowing that you're all dead if you don't, yes.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <08-17-19/1638:19> »

If the goal is a sacrifice play to save your team, knowing that you're all dead if you don't, yes.

Just because you decide you are making a sacrifice play doesn't mean you should get narrative omnipotence. Assuming a fairly standard 6 magic 6 damage amps brings it to 9 base damage for indirect spells which is more than assault cannon round, and a 8 meter radius if you also amp the area 6, and that would be +18drain for a total of 23 drain. That's one hell of a sacrifice play that will total almost all enemy opposition in its area.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <08-17-19/1836:45> »
This is why you take that 5 edge action
....or burn an edge for smackdown

Or both.

Besides adding both 12 meter to the AoE and 6 to the damage will probably get you killed anyway ;-)

...and a 8 meter radius if you also amp the area 6...
6 amp on area will increase radius from 2 meters to 14 meters (or a total of 28 meters across) - which is pretty huge.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <08-17-19/2134:02> »
This is why you take that 5 edge action
....or burn an edge for smackdown

Or both.

Besides adding both 12 meter to the AoE and 6 to the damage will probably get you killed anyway ;-)

...and a 8 meter radius if you also amp the area 6...
6 amp on area will increase radius from 2 meters to 14 meters (or a total of 28 meters across) - which is pretty huge.

Still 2 Meters shy of the mage duel circle from No Future :-p