Shadowrun General > Gear

Favorite Pistol in 5th.

<< < (2/11) > >>

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:

--- Quote from: Jack_Spade on ---@SSDR
I fail to see the advantage of a dart pistol compared to capsule rounds. Even with the added cost of DMSO you are still ahead thanks to the rule that you can fill 5 capsules with just one dose.

--- End quote ---

It's got advantages that are narrow, to be sure. At least 9 times out of 10 the capsule rounds are probably superior from a rules mechanic point of view.  But there are at least a couple niche reasons to go with a dart pistol:

1) you don't need to do an Armorer skill check to fill a dart like you do with capsule ammo
2) if you're playing in Neo-Tokyo (granted, most aren't) the fact that anything that can shoot a capsule round has an "F" availability code means that the Dart Pistol's "R" code allows you to at least have a fake license for it.

Weighed against the necessity of an Exotic Weapons skill (and therefore is ineligible for the additional +2 dice bonus from a specialization)... you're right in that it does tend to come out on the weaker side.  I'd never even consider using it prior to the current SRM campaign being in Neo-Tokyo... but since I did give it a try... I am having fun with it :) 

Jack_Spade:
Fair enough  :)

Crey57:
Ah I don't have Street Lethal yet. But sounds rather fun. *Feels face warp into the troll face meme*

Interesting take on the mechanics on the capsule vs the dart though.

Now In the corebook. As stated Two of the holy trinity is in it (warhawk and the predator) are in it.

So what are peoples thoughts on the Ultra Power?

kyoto kid:
...well, having played my namesake for quite a while now, hands down it's the Ruger Super Warhawk.  When loaded with EXEX handload (+1 DV) it becomes the most powerful handgun around (12DV - 3AP).  Yeah only one shot at a time but with a decent pool it can still put big holes in what it hits.

The other is my character Leela's favourite, The FN AAL Gyrojet (she just loves things that go "whooosh-*boom*!)

After these two the Savalette Guardian is my next choice. The option for burst fire can come in real handy.

Beta:
It really depends on the character.  Your weapons say something about you, you know?

I have one character that uses the Ares Predator because it is so common and so widely available, he can always dispose of one if needed and get another, and seeing someone with a Predator isn't memorable.

On the other hand we have a recurring NPC who is all about stealth and anonymity (the latter to the stage that nobody is quite sure of their gender), but when the barghest drek hits the industrial fan pulls out a Ruger Super Warhawk loaded like Kyoto Kid described.  It is great because it seems so out of character (the NPC themself just likes to phrase it: "I always prefer the subtle option ... until it isn't an option.  Then I want to finish things as quickly as possible."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version