NEWS

More questions from a new DM don't you love us?

• 134 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #60 on: <08-11-11/0955:37> »
Those are for soldiers, Joe.  Shadowrunners can't carry their assault rifles on their shoulders openly.

But, yes.  Pistols are the tool you use to get to the rifle you shouldn't have been away from in the first place.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #61 on: <08-11-11/1208:25> »
amen,
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #62 on: <08-11-11/1324:46> »
Was reading more of the book today, and I found Initiatives for Mages. Does this have to be done after the Mage is created and thus have to spend Karma or can this be made during the building process. O.o' either way i see that it raises your Magic stat as above 6 sort of.

Does that mean it is possible to cast over 12 Force spells? Which I assumed were the maximum and that's dangerous enough as is because 12 damage coming at you is daunting. XD
Some GM's allow BP to be spent on Initiation at CharGen, but it's not an official rule.

Normally Initiation has to wait until in-Game Karma can be spent, and it's expensive.

Yes, it allows Magic to be raised above 6 (well, well above 6). There are Legendary runners out there with Magic 10, allowing them to Overcast at F20 should they choose.

I have a Magician PC currently with Magic 8, and casting F15 is the highest spell cast to date.... Even with Centering and Absorption metamagics, it still hurt.... next thing on the Agenda is saving 45 karma to raise Magic to 9, but it's a long journey to do so....

45?

I thought the cost was 10+(grade of initiation X3).

So me with six magic and no initiation would be 10 + (1 initiation grade x3) which would be 10+3 = 13 karma. I'll have that probably by next game session I thinks. Anyways it looks like it would be 13, 16, 19, 21, 24, and then 28 would the Karma points. Not sure where 45 Karma came from however! I will say even that is a lot. XD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <08-11-11/1410:43> »
So me with six magic and no initiation would be 10 + (1 initiation grade x3) which would be 10+3 = 13 karma.
thats right.
Now You have to raise your MAG from 6 --->7 which is another 35 Karma
an initiation is no automatic Raise of Your magic Attribute

the 45 is to raise Your MAG from 8--->9 ;)

with an expensive Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #64 on: <08-11-11/1416:17> »
So me with six magic and no initiation would be 10 + (1 initiation grade x3) which would be 10+3 = 13 karma.
thats right.
Now You have to raise your MAG from 6 --->7 which is another 35 Karma
an initiation is no automatic Raise of Your magic Attribute

the 45 is to raise Your MAG from 8--->9 ;)

with an expensive Dance
Medicineman

Oh that's where I'm misunderstading. Holy cow that's a lot of Karma.

I was under the impression that you could use your grade of initiation in your Magic pool and it was basically considered magic. Kinda like Augmentations you write on your sheet. 6 ( 8 ). <.< That's how the examples of using it seemed at least. Thanks for the correction, i'll take a closer look next time i'm home.
« Last Edit: <08-11-11/1418:16> by Zilfer »
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #65 on: <08-11-11/1455:13> »
Those are for soldiers, Joe.  Shadowrunners can't carry their assault rifles on their shoulders openly.

But, yes.  Pistols are the tool you use to get to the rifle you shouldn't have been away from in the first place.

My Merc carries a custom M-22 SBR with the same Concealment rating as a Hold-Out Pistol.  ;)

I didn't spend all those Knowledge Skill points on Firearms Design for nothin'!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #66 on: <08-11-11/1545:39> »
I thought everyone used the Battle Rifle modded for Full Auto now. Assault rifles... yesterday's news :p

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #67 on: <08-11-11/1603:56> »

My Merc carries a custom M-22 SBR with the same Concealment rating as a Hold-Out Pistol.  ;)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Kinda like that pistol that folds up into a small cube?

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #68 on: <08-11-11/1631:02> »

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Kinda like that pistol that folds up into a small cube?

Nah, more like ruthemium polymer and a hacksaw.  ;D

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

darcdante

• Newb
« Reply #69 on: <08-11-11/2124:46> »
As another new GM, I have a question! I'm trying to understand the Matrix rules (thankfully, none of my players made a hacker or technomancer, but I'm preparing for the future) and I'm wondering....why would a person play a hacker over a technomancer?

Using an analogy from The Matrix, my friend said that a technomancer is Neo and a hacker is Tank, and let's face it: we all wanna be Neo. Is there something I'm missing rules-wise that makes your basic hacker more appealing than a technomancer?
darc

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <08-11-11/2133:26> »
the lack of twitchiness when outside of wifi areas?
 the fact that anyone can buy the gear for being a hacker and learn the skills later?
the fact that a mage can do the mage decker thing if they want? (dear god why?)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

darcdante

• Newb
« Reply #71 on: <08-11-11/2152:17> »
lol, thanks, beo! That's kinda what I told my friend. I said that hackers can buy programs with nuyen, whereas technomancers have to use bp/karma for complex forms. That seems to give a big advantage to hackers since they can then use those bps/karma in other skills. In general (imo) bp/karam  are more valuable than  nuyen. Being able to be a better hacker by spending nuyen rather than karma is a big advantage, but I didn't see anything else. Though the versatility you mentioned is interesting lol. Have you seen the mage/hacker thing done?
darc

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #72 on: <08-11-11/2159:07> »
Using an analogy from The Matrix, my friend said that a technomancer is Neo and a hacker is Tank, and let's face it: we all wanna be Neo. Is there something I'm missing rules-wise that makes your basic hacker more appealing than a technomancer?
That's a pretty good analogy, but like neo:
- The authorities will scan you and hunt you down
- Those that aren't impressed with you are worried you can read their minds and rewrite their code.
-  TM's have to spend Karma to upgrade... Hackers can upgrade with Nuyen as well...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #73 on: <08-11-11/2205:42> »
very painfully

one of those jack of too many trades and good at zero things

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #74 on: <08-11-11/2213:26> »
Have you seen the mage/hacker thing done?
Not well.

Magic requires as little Cyberware as possible.
Magic is not comopatible with Resonance, so can't be a Mage/Technomancer
Hacking is very easy to improve with Cyberware....

So while you can easily be a mage who is a good computer user (moderate skills and equipment), having the high skills and resources to be a proper hacker really isn't conducive for a mage PC :(
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law