NEWS

Keeping Track of Time....

• 19 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-03-11/1810:32> »
Hello was curious how people kept track of their games? I mean ingame not out of game of course.

I know Rent is due every month, and there needs to be downtime inbetween missions. So how do you guys do it? Do you guys use like a calender or something?  (that's an idea just use my non existant calender on my phone for that... o.O')

Tips tricks suggestions? All welcome. Thanks!
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #1 on: <11-03-11/1830:36> »
I set every date of the missions i run on a specific day or just decide on the fly. Then I tell the players there will be some downtime, let them run for awhile, then yank on the leash where appropriate or where planned with a job, interrupting what they were doing.

Missions has a minimum of 1 week between missions, but no maximum. 3-r runs a month is a good estimate, with the really BIG runs taking more time as they hide out from the law. So, my advice is to inform them their lifestyle costs are due every 2-3 missions or 3-4 missions (pick one), and fudge things from there.

Question: Do you already keep track of time well? If you don't, are you and the group having fun? If you said yes to the second question, then don't worry about it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #3 on: <11-03-11/2331:03> »
We like to keep it simple. One run per month (in game) with a rolled event for each week (in game). This way we can easily keep track of rent dues and it lets things hum along at a nice steady pace. Of course, sometimes those event rolls lead to action that the runners aren't really prepared for, but that's life in the shadows, eh?
Running the shadows since 1989.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <11-03-11/2337:31> »
I tried getting my group involved, doing things downtime...  But, well, I never got replies.  :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #5 on: <11-04-11/0109:40> »
I set my campaign in the 2050s, so that I can slowly introduce the cool events of Shadowrun, like the Bugs and Renraku shutdown etc.  At first I tracked time, starting in the Winter of 2050s, but then realised that with downtime etc, the team was quickly moving into the future. 

Now I fudge time.  Its still "2050"ish, but when? is a question we never explore.  Its always raining in Seattle, though every now and then is snows.  But actual calendar time never really moves forward until it suits the story for it to move forward.  One day, one day sooon, it wil be 2051.  But only when we're ready.

From a mechanics point of view, the team still pays for lifestyle etc during downtime between missions. 

Hope this helps.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #6 on: <11-04-11/0631:55> »
I use the calandar and keep fairly close track of time for the solo game that I run.  In the larger table games I find that minute tracking of time is a little bit unwieldly.  I have had larger tables where I could run with a calandar and did, but it just does not work for the current one.

My corp game though, lives and dies by the calandar.   :o

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #7 on: <11-04-11/0714:24> »
I used to just use a calendar (based on the year I was using) and would let players know at the beginning of each session what date it was, and at the end of the session how much time it would take to heal, get gear, train, and so forth - if they needed/wanted more time to do something (and the other players/characters agreed, I'd factor that into when I should schedule the next run. Sometimes if one character was doing something that they others weren't, or for a myriad of other reasons, I'd allow "mini-runs" to happen between the major runs. 

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-04-11/0717:24> »
Here the gm simply keeps track of the date. It's not that hard to add "It's Monday, th 7th of april 2070" to "ok, you all got a good dose of sleep and...".
« Last Edit: <11-04-11/0732:46> by Irian »
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-04-11/0718:34> »
I think that is whan everybody does
Living the Electronic Dream

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <11-04-11/0752:08> »
I tried to using a calender of the year, but things fall apart.  :(
You do realize that the 2073 calendar is the same as the 2011 calendar?

My bad... the link you're using goes Monday through Sunday and I misread it as Sunday through Saturday. 2011 is reused in 2050, 2061, 2067, and 2078.

Phylos Fett

• Omae

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <11-04-11/0759:29> »

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-04-11/1347:23> »
I set every date of the missions i run on a specific day or just decide on the fly. Then I tell the players there will be some downtime, let them run for awhile, then yank on the leash where appropriate or where planned with a job, interrupting what they were doing.

Missions has a minimum of 1 week between missions, but no maximum. 3-r runs a month is a good estimate, with the really BIG runs taking more time as they hide out from the law. So, my advice is to inform them their lifestyle costs are due every 2-3 missions or 3-4 missions (pick one), and fudge things from there.

Question: Do you already keep track of time well? If you don't, are you and the group having fun? If you said yes to the second question, then don't worry about it.

Only Vaguely currently i believe i fall into the category of a run almost every week if not more. (I think my sense of time of doing things is a bit off. Most of the runs in mine are simple and they take only a couple of days....)

I think total it's been maybe a month after like.... o.O' 7 sessions? Maybe more? Regardless I've wanted to start keeping track a bit better it would also serve to remind me of missions they have done in the past and how it may affect the future is what i was thinking. Monthly Rent really hasn't come up and your right if we are having fun it doesn't necessarily matter.

I know I play with house rules introduced to me in DnD that almost everyone fears....

18 19 20 always hits, 1, 2, 3 always misses. 20's are the only "crits" and you don't need to confirm. On a 1 you roll a 1d6. 1 + 2 your weapon breaks. (yes... any weapon makes you respect what you got more no?) 3 or 4 you drop your weapon, and 5 + 6 you "chink" nothing happens. :P Anyways we have fun so we don't worry about what other people do or think about our DnD Games. So Thanks for reminding me of that Mason. :D And thank you for everyone's comments!
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man