NEWS

Can Metasapients SURGE?

• 4 Replies

忍

« on: <11-11-16/2320:06> »
Run Faster states, "SURGE can happen to anyone and anything." While this is more likely fluff and not crunch, I can't find any indication of what can actually be a changeling.

Runner's Companion describes changelings as such: "Changeling is the common use term for metahumans afflicted by SURGE (Sudden Recessive Genetic Expression). Per definitionem, changelings are metahumans that have inherited one or more aberrant metagenetic traits from their genetic lineage. No
matter how strange and different their appearance might be at first glance, genetically they are very close to normal metahumans." Granted that's fourth edition, ought fifth be played that the likes of naga and such be incapable of SURGE-ing?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-11-16/2355:58> »
Year Of The Comet (3e) gave metahumans, metavariants, infected, otaku, and shapeshifters the opportunity to SURGE.

I don't see any reason to put a limit on which organic, living entities can SURGE, even if it seems metasapients weren't on the list originally.
« Last Edit: <11-12-16/0002:09> by Novocrane »

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-11-16/2359:33> »
Well, metasapients are going to have recessive genes.
So SURGE-ing is possible.
Maybe 1 in a million rare, but possible.

Currently, Hero Lab allows it.
Take that as you will.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <11-12-16/0156:00> »
Yes, metasapients can SURGE. Remember, though, that you'll need to pay the karma costs for both the Metasapient metatype as well as SURGE. This can lead to some very weird setups, but much coolness to be found.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #4 on: <11-13-16/0842:13> »
"Ayone and anything" seems pretty clear to me. When it originally appeared back in the day, examples of plants and paracritters with SURGE were provided. Metasapients are just paracritters you can play.

Put another way: It's a genetic condition. If it has genes, it can SURGE.
« Last Edit: <11-13-16/0844:22> by Patrick Goodman »
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator