NEWS

Renegotiation of the treaty of Denver

• 78 Replies

Backfire

• Newb
« on: <12-27-10/1031:17> »
Does anyone have any information on the renegotiation of the Treaty of Denver?  It was mentioned in the sixth world almanac but their wasn't much detail about it.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-27-10/1051:49> »
Basically, Ghostwalker flew in and dictated terms.  There was a small amount of negotiation between him and the CSA representative regarding the disposition of the Aztlan sector, but otherwise it was "Big dragon said so."
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-27-10/1108:10> »
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #3 on: <12-27-10/1258:25> »
Sounds like that's at a minimum part of what Spy Games will be about.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Semerkhet

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-28-10/1318:03> »
Sounds like I won't be purchasing Spy Games, since I chose, in my game, to take out Ghostwalker by having the Treaty nations stage a Thor strike backed by a joint conventional military operation.  All this while the team was in Denver as part of DotA2. 

Out of curiosity, what's the stated reason as to why the Treaty needs to be re-negotiated.  I'm AFB right now.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #5 on: <12-28-10/1320:51> »
Out of curiosity, what's the stated reason as to why the Treaty needs to be re-negotiated.  I'm AFB right now.
Ghostwalker didn't have it exactly the way he wanted things?

Semerkhet

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-28-10/1333:10> »
Ghostwalker didn't have it exactly the way he wanted things?

/sigh

Frankly, that's exactly why I excised Ghostwalker from my version of the setting.  I am fine with Great Dragons subtly working themselves into positions of power via corporations, cults, or what-have-you.  However, the idea of a GD showing up in the diplomatic flash-point city for all of North America, claiming it as his own personal fiefdom and just crapping all over several powerful nations' sovereignty just never struck me as a situation that would be accepted by the treaty nations.

I never gave my players any sort of definitive proof that GW was killed in the Thor strike.  All they know is that he/it has been definitively removed from power in Denver.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #7 on: <12-28-10/1346:37> »
However, the idea of a GD showing up in the diplomatic flash-point city for all of North America, claiming it as his own personal fiefdom and just crapping all over several powerful nations' sovereignty just never struck me as a situation that would be accepted by the treaty nations.
Definitely.  Such a ballsy, dick move would piss off a lot of powerful people and, Great Dragon or no, nobody can get away with such a thing unscathed.

For the most part, I just ignore or gloss over dragons in my games.  I don't really care for dragons.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #8 on: <12-28-10/1432:41> »
Sounds like I won't be purchasing Spy Games, since I chose, in my game, to take out Ghostwalker by having the Treaty nations stage a Thor strike backed by a joint conventional military operation.  All this while the team was in Denver as part of DotA2. 

Hey, nuking the dragon that shat on the treaty in the first place sounds like a great reason to renegotiate the treaty.  ;D

However, the idea of a GD showing up in the diplomatic flash-point city for all of North America, claiming it as his own personal fiefdom and just crapping all over several powerful nations' sovereignty just never struck me as a situation that would be accepted by the treaty nations.
Definitely.  Such a ballsy, dick move would piss off a lot of powerful people and, Great Dragon or no, nobody can get away with such a thing unscathed.

For the most part, I just ignore or gloss over dragons in my games.  I don't really care for dragons.

Yeah, I'm not terribly anti-dragon, they've got there places and uses, but, while blatant power-plays are to be expected, you do need to be able to back it up with something when you piss off a continent. Then again, maybe by kicking the Azzie's out, he didn't piss everyone off TOO much... Kind of a "yeah, you killed a bunch of folk on my part of Denver, but you also slaughtered them Azzies..."

Heck, the CAS at a minimum has a reason to support Ghostwalker's vision of Denver and take a look at where most modern day military bases are (hint, Southeast US and Texas), which kind of gives them an edge in supporting Ghostwalker... I could see it going both ways.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #9 on: <12-28-10/1603:36> »
Frankly, that's exactly why I excised Ghostwalker from my version of the setting.  I am fine with Great Dragons subtly working themselves into positions of power via corporations, cults, or what-have-you.  However, the idea of a GD showing up in the diplomatic flash-point city for all of North America, claiming it as his own personal fiefdom and just crapping all over several powerful nations' sovereignty just never struck me as a situation that would be accepted by the treaty nations.
It makes a lot more sense if you know Earthdawn. Ghostwalker played with Thera, and pretty much won, and after that, he was wings deep in the plot that ignited the war between Barsaive and Thera. Anyway, he was a Mover-and-Shaker back then, so i don't see why he shouldn't be now. They're quite conservative, those dragons.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #10 on: <12-28-10/1609:00> »
They're arrogant, condescending, and manipulative dick bags if you ask me.
« Last Edit: <12-28-10/1610:32> by Dead Monky »

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #11 on: <12-28-10/1635:00> »
They're arrogant, condescending, and manipulative dick bags if you ask me.

So are the Immortal Elves. 

And hell, so are most politicians.

You know what?  Lets just amend that to "So are most people, if given the opportunity".

Bull

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #12 on: <12-28-10/1649:25> »
Yeah, but they won't have you for dinner, if you cross them...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #13 on: <12-28-10/1708:39> »
You have a point there Bull.

Dread Moores

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <12-28-10/1731:49> »
Yeah, but they won't have you for dinner, if you cross them...

You must not know the right kind of people. ;)