NEWS

HMHVV - The Romero strain?

• 16 Replies

Pure Mongrel

• Newb
« on: <10-23-10/0619:00> »
(First off sorry in advance if this topic has been discussed already)

I was wondering if anyone had done a Zombie adventure / campaign / setting in the Shadowrun universe?

A HMHVV strain that effected dead tissue perhaps? (Either by mutation of the disease or manipulation of the disease.)
A Universal Soldier themed adversary? (Either science based reanimation of the dead or automated cyber that uses a corpse merely as a vessel to house the tech.) 
Necromancy?

If so ...

How did your Zombies differ from Ghouls (aside from being the living dead) and why?
How did you deal with reanimated metahumans that had cyberware installed and why?
How did you use these undead in your games and how did it "work out"? (For instance, mindless brain seeking zombies epidemic, a necromancers minions or "Dead" special forces controlled by a corp or other organization).

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-23-10/0740:07> »
With the number of house games out there, you'd never be able to find out.  Sorry.

My thoughts:

"A HMHVV strain that effected dead tissue perhaps? (Either by mutation of the disease or manipulation of the disease.) "  This niche has been filled, more or less, by the shedim - although there's no HMHVV element.  If you want to have a shedim-possessed Infected, that's up to you.  Pretty nasty though.  And FABIII works on Infected.

"A Universal Soldier themed adversary? (Either science based reanimation of the dead or automated cyber that uses a corpse merely as a vessel to house the tech.) 
Necromancy?"  Basically, this is cybermancy, as defined in SR.  I've never played any of the published adventures, so I have no idea if a cyberzombie pops up in any of them.  And they're pretty tricky to build too, from a GM viewpoint.  I've tried a few times.

Zombies don't eat.  ghouls do.
Reanimated metahumans with cyberware generally aren't PCs.  Either the cyberware is deactivated, in which case it's dead weight, or it's not.  Either way the zombie isn't going to be able to use it.  It's dead - no cognitive function.
Attack by massed zombies?  Airdropped incendaries seem to work.  FAE bombs, maybe, with a couple of 'normal' bombs in the mix for blast effects.  Maybe including a drop on the apparent source.  Depends how complicated you want to get.

But old HERO-system GM saying = when in doubt, complicate . . .

Eisenbeiß

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-23-10/0919:10> »
*cough* Shedim *cough*

No seriously, I've been pondering about an infection/zombie campaign for some time. HMHVV has the problem that the infected retain some if not all of their mental capabilites. So my best guess are the shedim. Throw lots of low powered Shedims  (F1-3) at your group and you should have a very fine zombie apocalypse. ;-)

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #3 on: <10-23-10/0924:21> »
1. How did your Zombies differ from Ghouls (aside from being the living dead) and why?
2. How did you deal with reanimated metahumans that had cyberware installed and why?
3. How did you use these undead in your games and how did it "work out"? (For instance, mindless brain seeking zombies epidemic, a necromancers minions or "Dead" special forces controlled by a corp or other organization).

1. Zombies (as of SR3) are animated corpses usually created by a corrupted Voodoo Priest.  Take any metahuman host and add in a loa spirit (with associated powers).  Check Street Magic to see if they updated the rules from SR3 as I'm not as good with magic in SR4.  Ghouls are infected metahumans with HMHVV (Krueger Strain).

2. Treat the cyberware as part of their body as normal (unless as the GM you want to say certain cyberware was turned off at death (like datajack)).  The possessing loa won't be able to use all types of cyberware (especially netware) so use your better judgment.

3. I've only incorporated Zombies a couple of times and they can be VERY evil (picture a cyber-Troll Zombie of the Warrior loa).  Lucky for PCs, these types of Zombies can't turn you into a Zombie (usually they just take your body back to the priest to do that).  If you want a Zombie apocalypse though I would have a Voodoo priest turn a pre-turned ghoul into a zombie and then have the loa go free (ie an uncontrolled zombie that can spread HMHVV).  You can even say that any turned character will instantly become an astral beacon for free loa spirits that will possess the body and thus giving you the Zombie horde you want.
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.

Coldbringer

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-23-10/2117:57> »
Hmmm how about nanites gone horribly horribly awry?  I ran a Cyberpunk 2020 game were I had a zombie plague caused by some medical nano-tech that went crazy. It was fun.  Alternately it could be an HMVV strain that causes ghouls that is unusually virulent.  I have pondered a number of appropriate ways to do a Romero type zombie scenario for Shadowrun myself.
http://veggeek.wordpress.com
Gaming, pop culture and what not.

Pure Mongrel

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-24-10/0246:40> »
@ tbrminsanity: I have no background in SR3  :-[  Can you give me some more info on this please? I just received my copy of Street Magic  and there is no mention of Zombies. There is a brief on the Vodoo tradition, but Zombies are not mentioned. (Unless I missed it, it was a quick skim so I could respond here).

@ Those who mentioned the Shedim: Again had a quick skim of that and the impression I got was that they are indeed evil so and so's that use bodies as means of interacting with the physical world; but they are not Zombies. I got more of an "Evil Dead"  style possession vibe. While this has taken my thoughts of future encounters in a new direction (Can't wait to see the players face when they are confronted with someone they "knew" spouting that their souls are going to be eaten and that they will all be "Dead by Dawn! ;))

I also got the impression that the Shedim were tougher to take down than the stereotypical Zombie . A "standard" Zombie is easy to take down by an average person (relatively speaking). The threat of being overwhelmed by a Zombie horde is the greatest problem as victims multiply exponentially. 

I guess the "mindless" ghouls best fits the "Romero" category. If a virulent strain that creates them mutates slightly ... say "Destroys the victims personality / intelligence completely", coupled with "instead of destroying the victims immune system, it actually puts it into super overdrive as it attempts to fight the virus" and add in a sprinkle or "Which ramps up the victims need to add energy to their body". Mix well and you have an hurting, mindless, conscious free being that is driven by an instinctual need to constantly feed to keep itself alive ... hey presto, one Shadowrun Zombie!

Now drop said Zombie in the poorest, most densely populated urban slum next to your favorite mega city and ... Watch a Zombie Apocalypse take shape and listen for the screaming to begin.  ;D

@ Coldbringer: Nanites might be good for a "Universal Soldier" type of Zombie maybe?

« Last Edit: <10-24-10/0250:32> by Pure Mongrel »

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #6 on: <10-24-10/1637:08> »
I just went through Street Magic and while it doesn't directly say how to create Zombies, there is a way within the room (Note that PCs should never be allowed to create Zombies as it is a pure evil act and any Voodoo Priest that creates Zombies should be considered corrupted).  To create a Zombie a body must be prepared (ie it must be a corpse but must be fully functional (ie 10 fingers and 10 toes type of thing)).  Then you summon a corrupted Loa spirit (as a non-corrupted one would never enter a dead body) to possess (pg 101 Street Magic) the corpse and create the Zombie.  Note that once all the services for the Zombie are finished that the spirit will leave the body and it will become a corpse again.  If the spirit goes free then it will remain in the body indefinitely (until banished).  If a free spirit becomes skilled enough you could say that it can turn the recently dead into Zombies by calling other corrupted Loa spirits (or even Shedim).
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.

The Cat

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <10-24-10/2337:20> »
-SNIP-

I was wondering if anyone had done a Zombie adventure / campaign / setting in the Shadowrun universe?

-SNIP-

How did your Zombies differ from Ghouls (aside from being the living dead) and why?
How did you deal with reanimated metahumans that had cyberware installed and why?
How did you use these undead in your games and how did it "work out"? (For instance, mindless brain seeking zombies epidemic, a necromancers minions or "Dead" special forces controlled by a corp or other organization).

While I wasn't the GM, I was playing a FACE in a "zombie run" in a game some years back (3rd Edition).  In that particular case it was a Romero Movie in game form.  The zombies were the classic shambling Romero ghouls out to eat people.  They were, for the most part, mindless killing and eating machines driven only by the desire to eat metahuman flesh (well, really anything living or recently living).  And yes, the only way to dispatch them was destroying the brain or brain stem.

I think the GM had 9 basic "classes" of zombie and pretty much all of them fell into those classes.  There were (for the sake of comparison) Minion, Lieutenant and Boss zombies, then the same three basic types for ones with passive cyber and then the same three basic types for those who originally had active cyber (and were pushovers for the most part because they had to drag around all that useless metal).  The "bosses" basically acted like "named NPCs" usually would in a regular run and had a modicum of intelligence, tool use and tactical skill, but not much (think the lead zombie in "Land of the Dead").

As we would find out late in the adventure, they were created by the accidental release of a military bio weapon that reanimated the dead intended as a "early release" weapon of terror in large scale conflicts.

From what I recall, passive cyberware worked, active cyberware did not.  So, for example, armored plating and boosted reflexes worked just fine but cyberarms and wired reflexes didn't thanks to their actively communicating with a brain and body that wasn't working within software specs.  Bioware, for the most part worked in the sense that they suffered no real ill effect from it.  For example, tailored pheromones really wouldn't hinder the ghoul, but he's not going to be making any social skill checks either.

In that game it was mostly just "survival horror" in table-top form.  The mission was blown by virtue of there being ghouls eating everyone, so out "mission" was to live long enough to get extracted (a few days as I recall).  Since this was a isolated island out in the Pacific, once the series of games containing the scenario were over, they were never mentioned by the GM again (I was kinda disappointed by that) and the only mentions were token ones from characters who had been there.

As an amusing side point, my character and a friend's character had the "We're not using the Zed word" conversation, almost word for word two full years before "Shaun of the Dead" and when that conversation happened in the movie, we disrupted the whole theatre laughing WAY to much.

Pure Mongrel

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-24-10/2348:30> »
Nice one Cat. You know a gaming session is good when it keeps coming up in conversation at random intervals  ;D +1

FoxBoy

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <10-26-10/1825:31> »
If a free spirit becomes skilled enough you could say that it can turn the recently dead into Zombies by calling other corrupted Loa spirits (or even Shedim).

Good gods.. that really would be the end of it all.

Can't wait to see the players face when they are confronted with someone they "knew" spouting that their souls are going to be eaten and that they will all be "Dead by Dawn! ;)
You know what's uglier? Said loved one looks alright, acts the same as before... but if you look in the astral, it looks like a dark jellyfish looking thing that's manipulating said loved one like a marionette.

Then the ugly truth sets in. She's been dead all this time, perhaps even months, or years... and when that look of horror sets in, the shedrim just smiles back, with that smile that belongs only on monsters.

That, is a shedim.

Pure Mongrel

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-27-10/0107:35> »

You know what's uglier? Said loved one looks alright, acts the same as before... but if you look in the astral, it looks like a dark jellyfish looking thing that's manipulating said loved one like a marionette.

Then the ugly truth sets in. She's been dead all this time, perhaps even months, or years... and when that look of horror sets in, the shedrim just smiles back, with that smile that belongs only on monsters.

That, is a shedim.

Now that is creepy! Nice one!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-01-10/0519:21> »
Back in the day, they were called vykanogen.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Pure Mongrel

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <11-01-10/0647:28> »
Whats on of those?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-01-10/1422:37> »
The Fourth World's name for the Shedim.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."