NEWS

Platelet Factories and trauma damper

• 9 Replies

Jeeves

• Chummer
« on: <11-30-10/1154:02> »
So, I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the trauma damper and platelt factories combo. Say someone takes 4 physical damage. one goes over to sun from the trauma damper and then one is negated by the platelet factories, right?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <11-30-10/1225:57> »
Platelet Factories subtract one box of damage anytime you take two or more boxes of Physical damage. It subtracts it before it get's applied, really, so the it's almost damage reduction, except that you have to take two or more boxed before it kicks in.

Trauma Damper will switch one box of Physical to the Stun track and subtracts one box of Stun from each Stun damage received.

If you're taking 4 Physical Damage, then Trauma Damper would kick in, moving one to Stun. Then Platelets kick in and subtract one from the Physical damage, so you'd wind up with 2 Physical boxes and 1 Stun box filled in.

If you take 4 Stun Damage, then the Trauma Damper kicks in, making it 3 Stun. The Platelets wouldn't affect it.

If you take 2 Physical Damage, then Trauma Damper would move one to the Stun track and the Platelets would NOT kick in, since you have only 1 Physical left. You'd take 1 Physical and 1 Stun.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #2 on: <11-30-10/1339:07> »
If you take 2 Physical Damage, then Trauma Damper would move one to the Stun track and the Platelets would NOT kick in, since you have only 1 Physical left. You'd take 1 Physical and 1 Stun.
I think Jeeves meant which of them are the first in action. Switch places and the 2 Physical Damage will completely disappear, or changed in 1 Stun.
So why does Trauma Damper takes first place?  

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-30-10/1416:52> »
Not sure whether you mean "where do the rules say that?" or "why do the rules say that?" For the first question, it's right in the description of the trauma damper. As for the latter question, I don't know whether there's a compelling game reason for it, or whether they just chose one arbitrarily so that it wouldn't be ambiguous.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <11-30-10/1421:52> »
I think Jeeves meant which of them are the first in action. Switch places and the 2 Physical Damage will completely disappear, or changed in 1 Stun.
So why does Trauma Damper takes first place? 
RAW(r)
Quote from: Augmentation, p. 70
When combined with a platelet factory, the trauma damper is applied first, then the platelet factory effect is applied (i.e., the platelet factory is only beneficial if 3 or more boxes of damage are suffered).

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #5 on: <11-30-10/1429:33> »
OK, thank you, Bradd and FastJack!
Now we established clarity. :-*
« Last Edit: <11-30-10/1433:18> by Ultra Violet »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-30-10/1502:55> »
Anything which reduces damage taken in SR is golden.

This latest edition has downplayed the downsides of platelet factories a little bit.  When first introduced, it had a pretty good chance of causing strokes unless you took special meds (an increase in the cost of lifestyle).

Although, honestly, the reduction in side effects is likely due to refinements in technology.  It has, after all, been nearly 20 years since factories came out.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Jeeves

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <12-01-10/1214:08> »
Is there any way for a magical equivalent of this tech to be made? like a healing spell with a conditional trigger of 3 boxes of physical damage?

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-01-10/1234:22> »
Is there any way for a magical equivalent of this tech to be made? like a healing spell with a conditional trigger of 3 boxes of physical damage?
Rules for anchoring meta magic can be found in page 59 of street magic.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-01-10/1336:55> »
Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."