NEWS

Blasts and Knockdown

• 18 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #15 on: <12-01-10/1452:32> »
Well, i have Dust Devil, Juggler's Touch and Aura Strike for that. If they can't see me, they can't hit me. If they do, they need to go through the Juggler's Touch affected area. If they do, they get Aura Strike.
Well, if that doesn't help, there's still Razor Orb. ;P

And to be on topic, i always found the notion, that a simple bullet has enough energy to knock someone down a bit silly. Shotgun shell, yes, especially if it was absorbed by armor, but a bullet, or even two? Any attack that would knock your character down probably breaks a few ribs, and hurts a lot...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-01-10/1513:45> »
I can see the actual damage causing a knockdown, as the human body reacts to the injury and not necessarily the physical force involved.  In that case, the lighter weapons (light pistols, pistols, typical rifle shots) would be more dependant on damage done.  For other, heavier weapons, or those specificly designed to KD, the transfer of energy involved should be sufficient to cause a knockdown.

Adjucating this has always been a bit of a pain, honestly.  The quick, streamlined rules currently in SR4A may be the best to use in those cases.  As for extra KD chance from blasts, why not increase the effective damage of the blast by +2 to model the all over body spray a target gets?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #17 on: <12-01-10/1521:54> »
Yes, that's a lot better. Especially if you treat 'knocked down' as a more abstract state, not just lying on the ground. It's a lot more interesting, if you describe someone's character as falling on his knees, clenching his wounded side. And it does make the character look more bad-ass by not falling down and writhing in pain.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #18 on: <12-01-10/1628:01> »
Yes, that's a lot better. Especially if you treat 'knocked down' as a more abstract state, not just lying on the ground. It's a lot more interesting, if you describe someone's character as falling on his knees, clenching his wounded side. And it does make the character look more bad-ass by not falling down and writhing in pain.

this is true. I very rarely describe knowck-down effects as "lying on the ground" with or without the "writhing in pain" bit. I've seen far too many real-life knock-down attacks from martial arts to flatly describe them as such. Often, at least for more agile characters, I describe the process of knock-down & get-up as something similar to when someone plants their foot behind yours and then pushes your shoulders. You fall backwards (knocked down), but if you know your stuff, you can roll with it and use the momentum to roll backwards and land more or less on your feet or knees, or all 4's. It may not be battle ready , but you are a bit more prone (-3 for being prone) in this process and regaining your footing takes a second (spend an action to "get up").
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP