NEWS

Non-magical attacks against spirits

• 87 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #75 on: <12-02-10/0752:42> »
I just finished testing that one. You're right. A rating 3 six-person ganger group got mauled by a force 3 beast spirit in eight rounds. With only one ganger surviving the attack, and the spirit taking a whooping 1 damage from a lucky shotgun shell from a Remington Roomsweeper. So, scrapping that one. Though my players probably will use S'n'S in their first run, and will have the leftovers for later, in case of spirits...
And i think i'll do this on a hunch, whenever spirits come into play. So, two corp security guards need at least 5-10 rounds to get rid of a spirit. That's enough time bought. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #76 on: <12-02-10/0809:29> »
The way I read the FAQ its even worse, successes don't count either. Its unmodified base DV of the weapon VS spirits hardened armor. So according to that FAQ ruling you can't harm a Force 4 spirit with a heavy machinegun. Ever.

For purposes of whether or not a shot gets through hardened armor, its modified DV (which I take to include both net hits and modifiers for Called Shots, bursts etc) vs modified armor rating (modified by AP). SR4a 295. Exactly what constitutes modified DV is my own interpretation. The rest is explicit. So as I see it, any single attack that does damage>armor will make it through ITNW.

Edit: Except that narrow bursts explicitly do not apply to armor comparisons. SR4A 153.
So net hits add to effective DV. Called shots add to effective DV. AP reduces armor accordingly. Bursts add to damage but won't help you get through the spirit's hardened armor. As a mundane your options are basically SNS or APDS in an assault rifle.

Moral of the story: Spend a few thousand nuyen on a clip of naga venom.
« Last Edit: <12-02-10/0828:10> by Nomad Zophiel »

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #77 on: <12-02-10/0842:21> »
Its modified DV by book RAW, yes, but not by FAQ RAW, which contradicts the book RAW in saying that its unmodified DV. Which is one of the many reasons I do not even bother to look at the FAQ anymore, whoever wrote it had no idea of the game, the rules, or basic common sense.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #78 on: <12-02-10/1029:11> »
Moral of the story: Spend a few thousand nuyen on a clip of naga venom.
What, no enchanted anti-(spirit type) bullets yet?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #79 on: <12-02-10/1041:59> »
Not possible by RAW (neither book or FAQ ;))

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #80 on: <12-02-10/1108:58> »
Technically, it can be done, but it is karma intensive.

Anchoring meta-magic loads a "spirit killer" spell onto a bullet, with a trigger of "contact with spirit."

Shoot bullet.

Spirit goes poof.

Mage then spends the next two or three sessions building up the karma he just spent on anchoring that spell.

Like I said, technically possible, but really impractical.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #81 on: <12-02-10/1156:54> »
True, forgot about that, sorry.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #82 on: <12-02-10/1750:21> »
Well, aside from paracritter venom I guess you could have Hire-A-Spirit. Pay you local Street Shaman well enough and he'll summon a spirit and say "this guy gets all your services". If there's already a spirit on your tail you have to survive that long, though.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #83 on: <12-03-10/0514:22> »
Yeah, that's that. :)
Or you could devise a spell to re-create the 'Elemental Strike' Adept power, to cast on others.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #84 on: <12-03-10/0528:09> »
Interesting idea, but probably won't do much good, since not many non-melee-adepts have the dicepool to even hit a spirit in melee.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #85 on: <12-03-10/0535:09> »
But Elemental Strike is not a 'normal weapon', and counts as a magic effect, as far as i remember.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #86 on: <12-03-10/0552:14> »
Yes, but that only affects if the spirit has armor. It doesn't affect the tons of dice spirits can roll to dodge skywards to get out of melee reach.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <12-03-10/0817:24> »
But Elemental Strike is not a 'normal weapon', and counts as a magic effect, as far as i remember.
Yes, but you still have to actually hit the spirit in melee(that the spirit doesn't really have a reason to even be)

Oh, by the way that spell is called elemental aura and can be found in page 173 of street magic. ;)
« Last Edit: <12-03-10/0820:13> by Mäx »
"An it harm none, do what you will"