NEWS

House rules explicitly for streamlining the game

• 17 Replies

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #15 on: <11-30-10/0355:10> »
would you mind sharing some (or all) of your house rules with the class? I'm interested to hear how people run their games non-RAW, hence the thread. ;)

I wouldn't mind, except there are basically none. We (I and the player I trade the GM job with) go with our gut. A decision I make for one scene would allmost never be applicable to another scene. If the rules don't fit how I want the scene to go, they go out the window. As I said, handwavium. I wouldn't actually recommend this, unless you have a lot of experience with a) the world of the game you are playing and b) the group you are playing with. A lot of people don't agree with this style of playing, so make sure to let them know what they are getting into and if they are ok with it.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #16 on: <11-30-10/1644:23> »
would you mind sharing some (or all) of your house rules with the class? I'm interested to hear how people run their games non-RAW, hence the thread. ;)

I wouldn't mind, except there are basically none. We (I and the player I trade the GM job with) go with our gut. A decision I make for one scene would allmost never be applicable to another scene. If the rules don't fit how I want the scene to go, they go out the window. As I said, handwavium. I wouldn't actually recommend this, unless you have a lot of experience with a) the world of the game you are playing and b) the group you are playing with. A lot of people don't agree with this style of playing, so make sure to let them know what they are getting into and if they are ok with it.

Ahh, yea, I can fully appreciate that play style, it can be fun, but for my games, at least the ones that aren't a horror campaign, I tend to prefer a little more consistency. I do tend to use a bit of handwavium in my horror games though.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #17 on: <12-01-10/0601:02> »
Thats what I meant when I said it needs experience with the game world, otherwise you end up with dozens of versions of the same situations where the same procedure resulted in very different outcomes.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100