NEWS

Smartlink confusion

• 27 Replies

robo the dino

• Newb
« on: <11-06-10/0015:43> »
So what the hell are these things, anyway? I'm talking about the smartlink here (listed as a Vision Enhancement) not the smartgun system (the firearm accessory). The text never makes it quite clear what (in game) these things do- if they're receivers for the signal from the smartgun, or processors for it, why can't you just use your commlink? If they're purely a display/interface function, why doesn't a simple image link suffice?
Furthermore, the fact that they are listed only as a Vision Enhancement is a little weird. If I have a smartlink system built into my glasses, how does it let me mentally control the gun? Shouldn't I need a DNI? And what if I don't want every single character with a smartgun system to wear shades all the time? Can't I put the smartlink in my commlink and use a DNI interface to display its info directly to my brain?
Thanks in advance for relieving me of my noobishness.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <11-06-10/0047:20> »
It's coordination software to more accurately aim your gun. When using smartlink, you see a target reticule over what exactly your gun is point at, making it easier to aim and hit your target. Image link just displays the AR around you.

You're not controlling the gun with the interface, merely linking up the gun's Smartlink system to display a target reticule of where it's pointing.

In the old days, you did need a DNI for the system, but in the wireless world, they've been able to remove this requirement replace this with a wireless DNI.

If you don't want to wear shades/goggles/contacts, you have to the cyber implanted into you eyes to project the reticule right onto your retina.

robo the dino

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-06-10/0058:49> »
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it didn't really address my question beyond restating the core book. If all the smartlink does is display a targeting reticule  (and ammo count, etc.) on your vision enhancement, how is that really different from an image link, which displays the same kind of images from other sources?
And it doesn't explain how a smartlink allows for mental control of the gun- for instance, ejecting the clip as a Free Action (p.135)- without some kind of interface. I could see voice command being an alternative, or AR gloves, but it seems like you should still need trodes or a datajack to do it at the speed of thought.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-10/0133:20> »
Okay... Here's my explanation:

Image link is nothing more than displaying the Augmented Reality of the world around you onto your retina. The software behind it is a simple display interface and is as smart as your monitor's hardware on your computer.

Smartlink on goggles/glasses/contacts is an UPGRADE to an image link (you can't have Smartlink without it) and has a interface with your gun's Smartgun software to display a target reticule and the gun's information onto the lenses of the item. It uses Eye-Tracking software for you to interact with the gun's operation, making it so you look at and highlight the command "eject clip" to do things like that.

Smartlink cyberware is, as it is with the glasses, an upgraded image link. It goes a little beyond that. It also comes with a wireless DNI (Augmentation, p. 31) as part of the system so you can mentally control the gun's systems directly.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #4 on: <11-06-10/0158:06> »
Image link can display a crosshair in kind of a generic sense.

Smartlink displays a crosshair where your gun is aiming, accounting for windspeed, enemy movement, avoiding cover and so forth. Basically it does a good bit of the aiming for you.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-10/0235:02> »
If all the smartlink does is display a targeting reticule  (and ammo count, etc.) on your vision enhancement, how is that really different from an image link, which displays the same kind of images from other sources?
I think of it as a comparison between, say, MS Paint (image link) and a top of the line graphic art/image manipulation/whatever program (full on smartlink).  In theory and in broad concept, both do the same thing.  In practice, one is light years ahead of the other.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-06-10/0238:51> »
Maybe you're missing the Fact that you need both the Smartlink  as Vision enhancement (and the Imagelink as a base too) AND the Smartlink in/at your Weapon  for the Smartsystem to work ?

HeyaHeyaHeya
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #7 on: <11-06-10/0249:31> »
Say, speaking of which, does Image Link or Enhanced Vision count as a "sense" for Tacnet? I would imagine the former doesn't but the latter seems like it could go either way.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-06-10/1558:21> »
Enhanced vision would, but image link would not.  Image link doesn't provide an extra external "sense," while enhanced vision would provide enough extra visual information to qualify (depending on the GM).
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FoxBoy

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <11-07-10/1517:53> »
If I remember right, smartlink also counts as a 'sense' as far as tacnets are concerned.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-08-10/0120:03> »
Right, because it provides additional information due to its ability to calculate trajectories and distances.  It is an "information source."
There is no overkill.

shadowpavement

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <11-08-10/0618:20> »
For some reason I'm reminded of of a guy, a long long time ago on the dumpshock boards, who was complaining about how his players were putting smart links on their swords, grenades, and spurs and wanted to know what to do about it  ;)

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-08-10/1856:29> »
Um, nothing?  They don't help with those devices.
There is no overkill.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #13 on: <11-09-10/1040:30> »
To be fair, while they don't help with melee weapons, there has been previous fluff about "smartball" technology used in sports.

There's no actual game rules for it, but I could see houseruling a "throw ball" 'ware to work with thrown grenades.

-k

robo the dino

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <11-13-10/1529:03> »
Okay... Here's my explanation:

Image link is nothing more than displaying the Augmented Reality of the world around you onto your retina. The software behind it is a simple display interface and is as smart as your monitor's hardware on your computer.

Smartlink on goggles/glasses/contacts is an UPGRADE to an image link (you can't have Smartlink without it) and has a interface with your gun's Smartgun software to display a target reticule and the gun's information onto the lenses of the item. It uses Eye-Tracking software for you to interact with the gun's operation, making it so you look at and highlight the command "eject clip" to do things like that.

This is probably about as good of an explanation as I can hope for. The eye-tracking thing is a good way to go, although I wish they would have stated it directly somewhere. Thanks.

I think of it as a comparison between, say, MS Paint (image link) and a top of the line graphic art/image manipulation/whatever program (full on smartlink).  In theory and in broad concept, both do the same thing.  In practice, one is light years ahead of the other.

I might find this convincing if your smartlink provided a three-dimensional battle map with a ton of predictive information and AI-enhanced advice on what to do, like a TacNet. But it doesn't- it displays a targeting reticule, shows range and ammo count, and shows the expected trajectory for a target in motion. Not only is that not anything special in the year 2070, it's not anything special now, IRL. Your image link is probably accustomed to displaying lots more complicated data than your smartlink, with fully-animated ads and the like abounding in spam zones.

Final question: How do Smartlinks interact with riggers? If a rigger has a smartgun system on a vehicle he's jumped into, does he get the bonus automatically, not at all, or does he still need a smartlink (which would be weird, given that he's not using his own eyes...)?

Thanks for the replies, and happy hunting.