NEWS

can a pair of gloves be twin weapon foci

• 15 Replies

vallen

• Newb
« on: <09-08-15/0337:43> »
I am making a combat character for a new group and the gm said to make something unique. so im making a troll adept brawler adept. the bigest question I have is can you make gloves with a harden striking surface into a twin weapon foci. the troll has killing hands so does that make a hit from his gloves cuase actaul damage. the adept also has eleamental weapon so how does that work.
thanks for your help

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-15/0351:18> »
Twin no, but you could get a pair of knucks and turn them into a weapon focus. knucks are described as being either traditional brass knuckles or plasteel lined gloves.

That said, knucks don't really add to damage really. it would be just as easy to get Killing Fist (which will also allow you to attack spirits and bypass their Normal Weapon Immunity, combine that with Astral Perception and you can attack them before they even materialize), from that you can then get Elemental Strike which acts the same as Elemental Weapon.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-15/0519:13> »
Well, knucks provide you with +1 to damage which is nothing to sneeze at.
And by raw you could combine penetrating strike with elemental weapon (not that you need that - AP 6 from fire is usually enough)

If you want to up your damage you could invest into prototype transhuman
Two pairs of striking callus (Alpha) + Bone density 3 gives you +4 to damage. It doesn't stack with the +1 from knucks but it's cheap and 100% street legal
« Last Edit: <09-08-15/0529:04> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-15/0007:18> »
Knucks real strength isn't there damage add, though +1 ain't bad, its that they can be made into a weapon focus, and so add to the ever important To hit roll.
Given how high you can get P-limit, it makes unarmed very dangerous in 5th.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #4 on: <09-09-15/1729:11> »
you can make a glove into a weapon focus, so i guess you could make a pair of gloves into two weapon foci.

Wakshani had a great optional rule for dual wielding any melee weapons, you get +1 reach.
So two cyberspurs = +1 reach compared to fighter who only had one cyber spur.
I like it and it's easy.
So if you enchanted two gloves to be two weapon foci you'd get the normal weapon foci bonus +1 reach.
Sorry no double damage or twin attacks, this ain't D&D ;-)

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-15/1737:14> »
Not a bad idea. Decent way to represent pressing the attack with two weapons and driving your opponent back or off balance due to strikes coming from multiple vectors.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #6 on: <09-10-15/0337:51> »
The only issue with that is there is a literal MA Technique that covers dual wielding in that manner.  It's a great house rule, though, just cheapens that particular Technique if you go with it.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-10-15/0339:04> »
Not really if you add the effects of the technique it gets even stronger.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

IronRoy

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-10-15/1031:49> »
Also remember that Killing hands is not compatible with a Weapon Focus. One at a Time Chummer.

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #9 on: <09-10-15/1614:15> »
The only issue with that is there is a literal MA Technique that covers dual wielding in that manner.  It's a great house rule, though, just cheapens that particular Technique if you go with it.

What technique is that?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #10 on: <09-10-15/1928:35> »
I think he may be referring to Kick Attack.  It adds +1 reach to unarmed attacks.  Otherwise, the normal Two-Weapon Attack martial arts technique adds +1 Accuracy and +1 Damage, but if your weapons are different sizes, you use the Reach of the smaller one, and the bonuses technically only apply to the longer of the two in that case.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <09-16-15/1927:15> »
You want to try something unusual. 
Instead of Weapon Focus on 2 gloves (twice the cost).  Have your gloves as ki foci - that improve your unarmed dicepool...which is what you are looking for.  And you already have the killing hands.  I'm away from books, this may be more expensive, but still pretty cool. 

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #12 on: <09-16-15/1956:07> »
It's likely an Unarmed Adept already has the whole 3 levels of Improved Ability they can have at character creation.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-17-15/1848:34> »
It's likely an Unarmed Adept already has the whole 3 levels of Improved Ability they can have at character creation.

Good point.  There are a host of powers that the unarmed adept might want, in excess of their power point allowance.  Improved attribute: Strength, Attribute boost Agility, etc,

adzling

« Reply #14 on: <09-17-15/2054:22> »
Qi foci are a great idea.

I wonder if a case can be made for dual glove weapon foci to grant the full power level of the weapon foci to each attack?
So for example 2 x power 3 weapon focis gloves = +6 die instead of +3.
Add another +1 die for Wak's nice "home rule"  on +1 reach for using paired weapons.
Granting a total of +7 die.

That sounds pretty o.p.
but then again you gotta spend the karma to bind the things and it only adds on average one extra hit so not really that o.p.....
oops but then you'd get the exploiters running one of those 6 armed freak metavariants stacking multiple wepaon foci gloves or daggers or someshit and ending up with like + 6 x 3 = 18 weapon foci die....

i guess it's really not even an issue as you could just bind a single high level power foci rather than having a bunch of lower ratings ones.
The costs dont increase exponentially with power level so it doesn't make any difference in the end.
it's just flavor...
haha
« Last Edit: <09-17-15/2100:28> by adzling »