NEWS

melee weapons and holsters

• 26 Replies

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« on: <05-02-13/0330:53> »
can melee weapons be put in a holster(concealable/quick-draw)?
Onward all you crystal soldiers.
Touch tomorrow, energize.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #1 on: <05-02-13/0359:29> »
to answer this: accessories are for firearms only. i think.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-02-13/1350:52> »
I think you are right, although it would be a good house rule to allow those for some melee weapons as well.
A concealable holster doesn't really make sense for a claymore, for example, though you can buy one for a LMG so I guess there is precedent. 

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-02-13/1409:01> »
While it doesn't actually say holsters are really only for pistol sized weapons, common sense should tell you they are really only for pistol sized weapons. A sheath or scabbard for knives or perhaps small axes are certainly possible to be concealed. Such exist now. Perhaps say that you can get such things for reach 0 weapons and use the same rules as holsters use for pistol sized weapons (quick draw, concealment).

lumiragdas

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-02-13/1519:01> »
Is there rules for sheaths and scabbards? I was playing a street Sam for awhile and couldn't find them anywhere.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-02-13/1550:31> »
I think the assumption is nothing beyond "a weapon has a holster/scabbard" and that's it. I think that common sense should say that a White Knight can't be brought along in a concealable holster - if you want to conceal a sniper rifle or LMG, you probably want to break it down instead of sticking it in your sock holster.

As for things like concealblility, it makes perfect sense to me for smaller items like knives, maybe tomahawks and shorter swords to be masked with a proper sheathe, or potentially worn with quick-draw sheathes.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-02-13/1616:10> »
Given that a concealable holster doesn't do anything but add +1 to concealment, I could see a "holster" for a machine gun (or great sword) that makes it easier to hide in some way or another, maybe by breaking up the profile, or allowing it to be strapped to your back.  Sure, it's still not really concealable, but it's slightly less visible than if it was slung over your shoulder for example.

Same goes for a quick-draw holster.  For something like a LMG, it would probably take the form of a harness or the like that makes it easier to unsling and ready quickly.  For an axe or sword, some sort of breakaway or quick release sheath would make sense. 
I've seen tool belt hammer holsters for construction that use spring clips to allow quick drawing and holstering, and the same technology would work beautifully for a battleaxe.  In fact, I think if I ever bought one for a character I would probably get a Craftsman brand, because they have a lifetime warranty.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #7 on: <05-02-13/1616:30> »
Don't forget, concealable holsters only add a bonus to concealability. The weapon can still be detected. If it were up to me, I'd say most one handed melee weapons could be concealed in this fashion. Example: a sword with a concealability of 3 sounds reasonable, the sword is hidden but due to it's size is still fairly detectable.

What he said.
« Last Edit: <05-02-13/1627:43> by viaRailGun »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <05-02-13/1618:35> »
Eh, for larger-than-pistol weapons you got those nice lengthy coats that give a -2 to everything underneath.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <05-02-13/1638:50> »
Given that a concealable holster doesn't do anything but add +1 to concealment, I could see a "holster" for a machine gun (or great sword) that makes it easier to hide in some way or another, maybe by breaking up the profile, or allowing it to be strapped to your back.  Sure, it's still not really concealable, but it's slightly less visible than if it was slung over your shoulder for example.

Same goes for a quick-draw holster.  For something like a LMG, it would probably take the form of a harness or the like that makes it easier to unsling and ready quickly.  For an axe or sword, some sort of breakaway or quick release sheath would make sense. 
I've seen tool belt hammer holsters for construction that use spring clips to allow quick drawing and holstering, and the same technology would work beautifully for a battleaxe.  In fact, I think if I ever bought one for a character I would probably get a Craftsman brand, because they have a lifetime warranty.

Doesn't the sling already do this for longarms and heavy weapons?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <05-02-13/1640:17> »
Ready at a -1 or Not-Ready at a -2 right?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #11 on: <05-02-13/1706:51> »
Ready at a -1 or Not-Ready at a -2 right?

In terms of concealability.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #12 on: <05-02-13/1717:11> »
Not to be pedantic, but it would be sheath or scabbard.

Holsters are for guns.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <05-02-13/1719:36> by JoeNapalm »

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #13 on: <05-02-13/1733:40> »
I'm rather fond of a quiver of hand grenades, and a scabbard of rifles, or perhaps a basket.

But if you're concealing an anything, you're going to put it somewhere less obvious, like on the inside of the fauld on a duster, or within the skirt of a dress. The concealable holster is helping it jostle around, but from there it's up to you to not betray it. Then we get into palming rolls.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

SpatulaODoom

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <05-02-13/1938:12> »
+1 Mantis

I'm pretty sure that anything larger than an assault rifle falls under the category of "non-concealable" right in the book. As far as sheaths/holsters go I'd totally allow someone to buy a sheath that offers the same bonuses as concealed/quickdraw holsters for small hand weapons like knives.

Trying to conceal a machine gun or other heavy weapon is work for a smuggling compartment on a vehicle.