NEWS

Advice on running a PbP?

• 3 Replies

Islington

• Newb
« on: <10-29-13/1333:18> »
Hullo, forums. I'm new here, but play-by-post gaming is one of my favorite things. As there don't seem to be games recruiting at the moment, I was considering jumping in and starting one myself! Before I did, though, I wanted to see if any of the more experienced GMs could answer a couple of questions.

First, on etiquette: on my previous board it was common to sort of audition people, where anyone who was interested in the game would post a character write-up and the GM would then pick characters. Is that the culture here, or is it more first-come-first-served? I don't want to come off as a snob if it's unusual to pick your players here.

Second, on plot: my first game would probably be an extremely standard milk run or one of the pre-gen adventures, as I've never run SR before. Do people ever run Missions or other such things here? Do you think there would be interest?

Third, on general advice: if you've got any tips for GMing Shadowrun in general or running thread games in particular, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for your time!

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-29-13/2102:25> »
Hi Islington
Welcome to the boards first off, and in answer to your questions
1) Nothing unusual about the way your suggesting on picking whose playing, I've seen both methods used on here.
2) I know of at least on PbP game in the forum that is being run from one of the release missions (fist full of Credsticks if i remember correctly)
3) If ya using a prepared run just make sure ya read it twice and make sure ya know the rules need for it, i got completely stuffed one time running a home game where i forgot to read the rules for running vehicle combat and got it completely wrong.
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

Islington

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-29-13/2112:57> »
Awesome, that's what I was looking for. Cheers!

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-29-13/2141:03> »
The only other thing i would suggest if ya planning on running a game is that when ya looking for players is mention if your using 4th (Some people also limit what books they use when running 4th ed) or 5th ed, BP or karma to create the characters, and if there are any particular skills that will be needed.

I'm happy to have a go at anything ya want to run (better with 4th, just recently got 5th ed book so still getting my head around it), just send me a PM on what your looking for in the way of a character or needed skills and I'm happy to make one up or use on of the ones i already have ready.

« Last Edit: <10-29-13/2220:45> by Hellion »
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors