NEWS

Upcoming Releases, Vol. 1

• 38 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #15 on: <04-12-19/0603:08> »
I bought my 12 before I knew the dice were metal. And no, they can keep the can to themselves.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <04-12-19/0730:56> »
I'm not going to roll these much so I'm fine with the can. =) They're rather cheap for metal dice anyway, Norse Foundry's cheapest d6 is $6, coloured pairs are $20 while a set of 4 Fate Dice is at $35 (and not listed as Aircraft grade). Their relatively-fancy Aircraft grade D&D sets are at $100 or more, +$40 for a container. So these puppies aren't that expensive compared to NF standards.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-13-19/1114:26> »
They look a lot like the offerings from Gravity Dice...and pricing is pretty much in line with those and other vendors. Not suggesting they aren't expensive, but they seem pretty fairly priced, especially given the etching.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <04-13-19/1611:59> »
That reminds me, I got a massive octagon dicetray which is a bit loud, so I put a tiny circular table-cover in. Really decreases the nice, better than a normal dicetray. These dice would probably roll fine in that without risk of scratching.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <06-22-19/1630:52> »
I got my dice in!

Upside: They are absolutely gorgeous! The box is real slick too! Perfect for showing off.

Downside: They don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical, because in one way they easily slip in and out of the box, and under another face I'll have to bash them out. Differs per die even. And when using a dice tray they don't really roll, so I'd have to consider either a cup or a tower.

Incidentally, the opening post here mentions Limited Editions in the store. I should note that currently there's a sale on the various 9 Limited Editions, where they go for $50. If I had a bit more money, I'd consider it (though I already own Howling Shadows Limited). https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/shadowrun/products/shadowrun-limited-editions-sale

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <06-22-19/1652:19> »
Downside: They don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical, because in one way they easily slip in and out of the box, and under another face I'll have to bash them out. Differs per die even. And when using a dice tray they don't really roll, so I'd have to consider either a cup or a tower.

Thanks for the heads up on this...need to check that out with mine.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #21 on: <06-22-19/1758:00> »
Mine landed yesterday as well here in Japan. Excited!
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

adzling

« Reply #22 on: <06-22-19/1814:41> »
Downside: They don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical, because in one way they easily slip in and out of the box, and under another face I'll have to bash them out. Differs per die even.

this guy can't even get his out of the box:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/c3fmh0/a_small_warning_for_those_thinking_about_getting/

I'd say dice with uneven sides are a pretty huge downside.
Dice only need to do one thing; deliver random numbers by rolling them.
A core requirement of a D6 to do that is: be symmetrical.
This is what you get with zero quality control.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #23 on: <06-22-19/2220:54> »
Is it definitely the dice, or a problem with the box not being cut correctly?

I only ask because dice are made from a mold, so it's unlikely that the dice would be of differing measurements, and more likely that the box was cut incorrectly.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <06-22-19/2239:00> »

If the claim that dice fit in one pattern, but not another is correct (I'm not claiming it isn't, I simply can't verify), then it is impossible for the box to be cut wrong.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #25 on: <06-22-19/2245:48> »

If the claim that dice fit in one pattern, but not another is correct (I'm not claiming it isn't, I simply can't verify), then it is impossible for the box to be cut wrong.
I agree, just looking for confirmation. Is a specific facing, or specific die placement?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <06-23-19/0541:06> »
(Incidentally, my mother was a tiiiiny bit upset when I initially dropped them out, because she had spent effort making sure all were in smoothly. I'm sure she got some glee out of my efforts to then get everything back in properly.)

Replacement post: Experiment-time!

First box:

First die: Didn't go in properly with 6/1 or 4/3. Went in smoothly with 5/2, no matter what rotation. Results were identical for each slot in the box.

I tried a lot of orientations for the first die for each slot, so I can confirm the box is fine, each slot appears identical.

Second die: 4/3 smoothly, other sides go bad, for each slot.

I did find 1 die that goes in smoothly no matter what, so at least 1 die is perfect. And with the other dice, some get stuck quicker so it appears there's a significant difference between the dice after all the sanding.

Second box: Some dice go in through 2 axes, but if I try them in the first box, only 1 works! In other words, the first box is a bit tighter than the second one. With the second set and second box, there were multiple axes for several dice, so I switched the sets and will now continue experimenting with the first box only...

Final testing results:
First set: Perfect/6/5/5/4/4
Second set: Perfect/6&5/6/5/5/5

So all in all I have 2 perfect dice, 1 near-perfect (in the second box it just takes a tiiiiny bit of force on the 4-3 axis, but in the first box it needs significant force), and a whole bunch that in the first box only have 1 good axis. I made my second box first set 6-5-4-3-2-1 and the first box second set 6-6-6-5-5-5 for display purposes. :P

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #27 on: <06-23-19/0936:05> »
(Incidentally, my mother was a tiiiiny bit upset when I initially dropped them out, because she had spent effort making sure all were in smoothly. I'm sure she got some glee out of my efforts to then get everything back in properly.)

Replacement post: Experiment-time!

First box:

First die: Didn't go in properly with 6/1 or 4/3. Went in smoothly with 5/2, no matter what rotation. Results were identical for each slot in the box.

I tried a lot of orientations for the first die for each slot, so I can confirm the box is fine, each slot appears identical.

Second die: 4/3 smoothly, other sides go bad, for each slot.

I did find 1 die that goes in smoothly no matter what, so at least 1 die is perfect. And with the other dice, some get stuck quicker so it appears there's a significant difference between the dice after all the sanding.

Second box: Some dice go in through 2 axes, but if I try them in the first box, only 1 works! In other words, the first box is a bit tighter than the second one. With the second set and second box, there were multiple axes for several dice, so I switched the sets and will now continue experimenting with the first box only...

Final testing results:
First set: Perfect/6/5/5/4/4
Second set: Perfect/6&5/6/5/5/5

So all in all I have 2 perfect dice, 1 near-perfect (in the second box it just takes a tiiiiny bit of force on the 4-3 axis, but in the first box it needs significant force), and a whole bunch that in the first box only have 1 good axis. I made my second box first set 6-5-4-3-2-1 and the first box second set 6-6-6-5-5-5 for display purposes. :P
Thanks for the detail!

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #28 on: <06-23-19/2037:52> »

I only ask because dice are made from a mold, so it's unlikely that the dice would be of differing measurements, and more likely that the box was cut incorrectly.

Aluminum dice would probably not be made in a mold, but milled to size, which would explain why they only fit in certain orientations. The cost of machined parts is driven size, complexity, and tolerance. Since these are small and have simple geometry, its clear they tried to save money by relaxing the tolerancing, if they even specified any at all.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #29 on: <06-23-19/2112:17> »

Aluminum dice would probably not be made in a mold, but milled to size, which would explain why they only fit in certain orientations. The cost of machined parts is driven size, complexity, and tolerance. Since these are small and have simple geometry, its clear they tried to save money by relaxing the tolerancing, if they even specified any at all.
Unfortunately, the more that's coming out, the more I have to agree with that assessment.