NEWS

Favorite Pistol in 5th.

• 50 Replies

Crey57

• Newb
« on: <12-29-18/1138:37> »
As the title states? what is everybody's favorite pistol?  Now me and my buddy agreed that the Silvette Guardian is really sweet but looking at the Ontario Violator it is looking to be my new favorite.  I'm also partial to the Colt 2066 and the Cavalier Deputy.  But again it may come down to character build or concept or rule of cool/ crunch or afford ability.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-18/1308:56> »
Depending on situation, character build and aim there are four weapons my gunslingers usually carry:

1) Defiance-Ex Shocker: Legal, powerful and easily concealed. The perfect weapon to carry around in everyday situations. Short range makes it an ambush and indoors weapon.
2) Ruger Super Warhawk: High damage, high AP with decent ammo capacity, great in combination with ammo select. Works incredibly well in combination with a shield
3) Savalette Guardian: Burstfire, smartgun system included allow you to hit and damage opponents with high defense. Works well with increased size magazines
4) Cavalier Champion: Even stronger than the Warhawk, but needs a special build to work well (either get a few of them or be an adept with nimble fingers and a GM that allows you to have that power also work for quick reloading of single bullets)

Honorable mention:
Streetline Special modded with ceramics and loaded with capsule rounds
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-29-18/1409:23> »
It's hard to surpass the heavy pistol holy trinity: Ruger Super Warhawk, Ares Predator V, Savalette Guardian.

However sometimes what you want isn't necessarily a heavy pistol.  A Fichetti Security 600 brings fairly impressive stats to a more concealable platform than a heavy pistol.  A Beretta 201T is a more concealable alternative to the Savalette Guardian.  Etc.

It's not governed by the same Pistols Skill, but a toy I've been enjoying immensely of late is the Dart Pistol.  You don't need to score lots of net hits to be effective... heck you even still hit on ties (touch attacks!).   Pretty much noone remains awake thru 15 stun narcojet toxin... even those armored tanks who can shrug off assault cannon fire! Blight toxin (from Better than Bad) is amazing as well for pesky magical threats that standard gunfire might be challenged to neutralize.
« Last Edit: <12-29-18/1412:04> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Crey57

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-29-18/1459:57> »
Huh, never considered the humble street line, my little go to guy is actually the Taurus Omni...oh only Light ammo available cool? only heavy? ok.

oh def agree the Fichetti 600 is a slick little fella.

Like I said give the Onatari a look might not have the same frills a the other heavy weights but does get the job done and comes in at a touch cheaper price as well.

Hmmm never heard of the champion, but its a warhawk on roids? lol that sounds great. source so I can giggle like an idiot when I do this? an unsuspecting gm?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-29-18/1639:53> »
The Cavalier is in Street Lethal. In essence it's a sport pistol with a single bullet magazine.

@SSDR
I fail to see the advantage of a dart pistol compared to capsule rounds. Even with the added cost of DMSO you are still ahead thanks to the rule that you can fill 5 capsules with just one dose.
talk think matrix

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-29-18/2143:44> »
@SSDR
I fail to see the advantage of a dart pistol compared to capsule rounds. Even with the added cost of DMSO you are still ahead thanks to the rule that you can fill 5 capsules with just one dose.

It's got advantages that are narrow, to be sure. At least 9 times out of 10 the capsule rounds are probably superior from a rules mechanic point of view.  But there are at least a couple niche reasons to go with a dart pistol:

1) you don't need to do an Armorer skill check to fill a dart like you do with capsule ammo
2) if you're playing in Neo-Tokyo (granted, most aren't) the fact that anything that can shoot a capsule round has an "F" availability code means that the Dart Pistol's "R" code allows you to at least have a fake license for it.

Weighed against the necessity of an Exotic Weapons skill (and therefore is ineligible for the additional +2 dice bonus from a specialization)... you're right in that it does tend to come out on the weaker side.  I'd never even consider using it prior to the current SRM campaign being in Neo-Tokyo... but since I did give it a try... I am having fun with it :) 
« Last Edit: <12-30-18/1006:43> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-30-18/0647:52> »
Fair enough  :)

talk think matrix

Crey57

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-30-18/0740:27> »
Ah I don't have Street Lethal yet. But sounds rather fun. *Feels face warp into the troll face meme*

Interesting take on the mechanics on the capsule vs the dart though.

Now In the corebook. As stated Two of the holy trinity is in it (warhawk and the predator) are in it.

So what are peoples thoughts on the Ultra Power?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #8 on: <01-09-19/1819:49> »
...well, having played my namesake for quite a while now, hands down it's the Ruger Super Warhawk.  When loaded with EXEX handload (+1 DV) it becomes the most powerful handgun around (12DV - 3AP).  Yeah only one shot at a time but with a decent pool it can still put big holes in what it hits.

The other is my character Leela's favourite, The FN AAL Gyrojet (she just loves things that go "whooosh-*boom*!)

After these two the Savalette Guardian is my next choice. The option for burst fire can come in real handy.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #9 on: <01-10-19/1109:33> »
It really depends on the character.  Your weapons say something about you, you know?

I have one character that uses the Ares Predator because it is so common and so widely available, he can always dispose of one if needed and get another, and seeing someone with a Predator isn't memorable.

On the other hand we have a recurring NPC who is all about stealth and anonymity (the latter to the stage that nobody is quite sure of their gender), but when the barghest drek hits the industrial fan pulls out a Ruger Super Warhawk loaded like Kyoto Kid described.  It is great because it seems so out of character (the NPC themself just likes to phrase it: "I always prefer the subtle option ... until it isn't an option.  Then I want to finish things as quickly as possible."

adzling

« Reply #10 on: <01-10-19/1204:53> »
PSK-3 with ceramic mod in skin pocket for ultimate security penetration.
-heavy pistol in an inobvious package (doesn't look like a weapon when folded)

twin Fichetti executive actions in hidden arm slides for daily use.
-easily concealable, burst fire, high ammo capacity

Savalette Guardian as a distraction weapon when searched.
-meant to be found/ handed over at security

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #11 on: <01-11-19/0200:54> »
It really depends on the character.  Your weapons say something about you, you know?

I have one character that uses the Ares Predator because it is so common and so widely available, he can always dispose of one if needed and get another, and seeing someone with a Predator isn't memorable.

On the other hand we have a recurring NPC who is all about stealth and anonymity (the latter to the stage that nobody is quite sure of their gender), but when the barghest drek hits the industrial fan pulls out a Ruger Super Warhawk loaded like Kyoto Kid described.  It is great because it seems so out of character (the NPC themself just likes to phrase it: "I always prefer the subtle option ... until it isn't an option.  Then I want to finish things as quickly as possible."
...yeah the Chicago Missions version of KK was the basic gunslinger adept.  She had a love of the old Wild West so she packed a pair of Ruger Super Warhawks (she had the Ambidexterity quality) and a Remington 950 (her "huntn'" rifle) along with a Weapon Focus Katana (she was trained in Kenjutsu at a Dojo in Kyoto Japan where she took her name from).  She later picked up a Krime Boss shotgun for those difficult targets.  With the Warhawks she alternated fire each action so she didn't have to reload so quickly .  Through her career and skill/power improvement she eventually could split then her pool and fire at two targets often hitting both (and with EXEX handload usually could take two mooks down).

All her firearms were named in old western style.  The Warhawks were 'Butch" & "Sundance", the Remington was named "Annie" (after the historic sharpshooter Annie Oakely) and the shotgun was named "Pink Cloud" for what it usually did.  Later she picked up an Ares  Desert Strike which she called "Blondie". 
« Last Edit: <01-11-19/0219:37> by kyoto kid »

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <02-13-19/2107:57> »
Walther PB-120: Excellent concealment with its standard ten-rounds (and an optional fifteen-round extended magazine for when things get really hairy). Sure, it’s only a light pistol, but with quality ammo and called shots will alleviate that issue. It’s not a primary weapon in anything but those rare Black Tie affairs, but it’s a fantastic ankle gunz

It was Matador’s back-up gun of choice. That’s a quality endorsement.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #13 on: <02-14-19/0249:02> »
...other than the Super Warhawk, I like the Savalette Guardian. Lets you fire a 6 found burst, and with full RC comp gives you one action phase to do a 6 round burst. That can be a deal maker.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #14 on: <02-14-19/1422:28> »
Walther PB-120: Excellent concealment with its standard ten-rounds (and an optional fifteen-round extended magazine for when things get really hairy). Sure, it’s only a light pistol, but with quality ammo and called shots will alleviate that issue. It’s not a primary weapon in anything but those rare Black Tie affairs, but it’s a fantastic ankle gunz

It was Matador’s back-up gun of choice. That’s a quality endorsement.
Matador was a Merc.  You use the pistol to get to the rifle that you shouldn't have been away from in the first place.

That said, that's beyond the scope of this topic, but still, yeah.  Ten-rounds to start with and 15-round followups are nothing to sneeze at.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11