NEWS

Using Chinas rating system for SINs?

• 5 Replies

Ixal

• Chummer
« on: <12-07-18/1334:45> »
So for those that haven't heard of it, China implements a rating system for all its system which includes internet surveillance etc.
Depending on how good of a model citizen someone is he gets preferential treatment, better loans, access to better schools while someone with a low score faces travel bans and other nastiness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

Do you think that would be a good system to use in SR instead of a binary SIN/SINless system and would it add anything to the game or just be a hassle with no positive effect?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-07-18/1339:58> »
It's pretty compatible with the SIN concept used in Shadowrun.

And SINs are anything but binary... it's literally a tiered quality in the rules crunch.  A Criminal SIN impacts a person differently than does a "standard" National SIN. And in the pendulum's other direction, the Corp and Corp Limited SINs give benefits that a National SIN wouldn't. (and of course, bigger drawbacks that'd be particular to a member of the shadow community, as reflected by their higher Karma rebate...)
« Last Edit: <12-07-18/1344:14> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <12-07-18/1349:46> »
The systems both have the same principles involved, for the same reasons: Control.

The SIN system is about income and expense control for both governments and Corps. You need a SIN to get any services at all, without a SIN you can't claim anything.

The Chinese system is about social and political control, requiring the cotizens to act a certain way to gain usage of the system....

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-07-18/1357:49> »
You could also argue that the SIN system is also about political control as well as socio-economic control.  In fact, I'm pretty sure you can already find exactly that in the form of neo-anarchists' shadowland posts across the corpus of sourcebooks.

But absolutely, Big Brother Surveillance is a key tenet of the cyberpunk genre.  Anything the Social Credit System is doing/will do can very easily be envisioned to be going on with SINs, too.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <12-07-18/1656:40> »
The biggest difference is that in SR, national governments don't generally have this level of control.  They have sold off or downsized so much that they struggle to do basics, and mostly would not manage something like this.

Companies, however, are a whole different question.  We already see that there are tiers of corporate citizens in the two levels of corporate SIN negative quality.  Depending on the company, how this works may vary.  Shiawase may do it very much by the job you have, while Horizon may do it by how well you have contributed to and obeyed the consensus, and EVO .... frag, I have no idea how EVO would do it. 

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-15-18/0747:02> »
Companies, however, are a whole different question.  We already see that there are tiers of corporate citizens in the two levels of corporate SIN negative quality.  Depending on the company, how this works may vary.  Shiawase may do it very much by the job you have, while Horizon may do it by how well you have contributed to and obeyed the consensus, and EVO .... frag, I have no idea how EVO would do it.

If you restrict it to corps I certainly can see them having a different rating system for SINs depending on culture.
Horizon already has something like this with its social score. Ares would likely have a army inspired medal system where employees who go above and beyond their normal work get medals/titles attached to their SIN. Renraku probably would have something like the Chinese system I mentioned considering they are all about database access and harmony now.
Evo, maybe some sort of reverse deviation score which ranks people higher the farther away they are from unaugumented, unawakened human. Although that depends if you want Evo to go into this direction.
SK probably also has some scoring system coming out of the Innenrevision they set up during CFD, but those scores would not be open.