NEWS

Invisibility clarifications

• 6 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <05-02-19/0715:25> »
I'm reading over the invisibility spell and it strikes me as a tad vague.

Am I completely invisible, does anyone who gets LoS on me get a resistance roll to spot me or do they have to suspect im there for some reason in order to roll?

If I perform an attack of some sort do i remain invisible?

I'm thinking of making a character that spends most of its time invisible.
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <05-02-19/0925:00> »
There's no Attempt To Disbelieve here: You get 1 resistance roll against a Sustained Illusion, if you pass it you simply look straight through, if not you never realise. You remain invisible even when attacking (but hi, sustaining penalty!), but astrally you and your Invisibility spell are visible (so Spirits and other dual-natured critters got no problem finding you, unless you hide in bushes).

It's my personal rule-stance that vehicles do not resist Illusions with their own OR, using their sensor OR instead, but even then 1 in every 50~200 cars will pierce your invisibility so don't run into traffic. GridGuide will hate you and make sure that heavy truck accidentally splats you. Watchers and patrolling Spirits will see you and might realise you're invisible, which sets off alarm bells. Who knows, maybe a Guardian Spirit will decide to dispel your Invisibility because it's not interested in you becoming a threat.
« Last Edit: <05-02-19/0927:05> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-02-19/1134:51> »
When you cast Invisibility (p.291), you roll Spellcasting + Magic [Force] and record the number of hits. The first time you enter anyone's line of sight, they get one chance to resist the spell with Willpower + Logic (see "Mana Illusions," p.290). If they equal or exceed the number of hits you got on the spellcasting test, they can see you. If not, you're invisible to them, and will remain invisible for as long as you continue to sustain the spell.

The basic (Mana) version of Invisibility only affects living beings. Vehicles, drones, and security cameras see you normally. And you're only invisible in the material world; dual-natured critters and spirits will be able to spot you with their astral senses.

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <05-02-19/1220:13> »
You want improved invisibility which is a physical spell and effects Drones and Cameras ETC. It also is resisted by Intuition + Logic or Object Resistance for drones and such.

And as mentioned when you enter some things LOS they make a resistance roll, based on that it/them either see your or do not for as long as you sustain the spell. Keep in mind as mentioned neither version of the spell does anything to hide your presence on the astral plane so Astral beings and Dual natured will know your there with no problems, and you have a giant neon spell aura announcing your not just another mundane to them. Also the spell does nothing to conceal any sounds you make, it only makes you invisible to regular light and Infrared. Ultra Sound and Radar will pick you up just fine, as well as if your shooting a gun and what not all normal sounds a company that. It means do stuff loud enough or close enough and they can attack you with the -6 blind fire penalty.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-02-19/1224:29> »
There's no Attempt To Disbelieve here: You get 1 resistance roll against a Sustained Illusion, if you pass it you simply look straight through, if not you never realise. You remain invisible even when attacking (but hi, sustaining penalty!), but astrally you and your Invisibility spell are visible (so Spirits and other dual-natured critters got no problem finding you, unless you hide in bushes).
Note that with Enhanced Masking, they have to beat your Masking to see the spell.  Normal Masking allows you to appear as a mundane, or as a different type of entity...a Watcher spirit is a good choice.  So, even if they see you, they may not categorize you as a threat.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <05-02-19/1231:11> »
Note that with Enhanced Masking, they have to beat your Masking to see the spell.  Normal Masking allows you to appear as a mundane, or as a different type of entity...a Watcher spirit is a good choice.  So, even if they see you, they may not categorize you as a threat.
Won't help if you're sneaking through forbidden territory and depending on being invisible, though. Then you need Manascape as well.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-02-19/1239:05> »
Won't help if you're sneaking through forbidden territory and depending on being invisible, though. Then you need Manascape as well.
Well, I can’t solve every problem... :)

P.S.  Spellcasting with the Illusion specialization and the Illusionist positive quality will take care of the sustaining issue.