NEWS

Fake SINs and names

• 107 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <09-11-10/1344:23> »
Something I do for my characters when I buy fake SINs, is to pick a name appropriate to the rating.  For example, rating 1's might have names like 'Jenny Horse,' 'Janet Doe,' 'Misty Lake' while rating 5 or 6 would have names such as 'Jennifer Merin,' 'Bernice Meyers,' or 'Marion T. Benning.'

It just seems to make for better RP, in my mind.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-11-10/1356:34> »
Personally, I would always prefer Names like "Jane Smith" - simply because a cop will more likely remember hearing the name "Letita van Hammelbach" than "Jane Smith" and searches will be slowlier if there are dozens of people with similar or equal names... :-) Of course, this also depends on the character (and, as a related question, I think it's harder to order a SIN with a given name instead of a generic one which fits your description).
« Last Edit: <09-11-10/1358:26> by Irian »
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-10/1421:05> »
Personally, I would always prefer Names like "Jane Smith" - simply because a cop will more likely remember hearing the name "Letita van Hammelbach" than "Jane Smith" and searches will be slowlier if there are dozens of people with similar or equal names... :-) Of course, this also depends on the character (and, as a related question, I think it's harder to order a SIN with a given name instead of a generic one which fits your description).

A good approach there, too, with the same underlying reasons I used-- the name is more likely to make the one examining the SIN to go 'hey, wait a minute...' when the rating is low.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

rockstar

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-11-10/1607:53> »
tbh my team just splash out on rating 6 anyway. we tend to use celebrity/tv character names for them anyways. theres something kinda amusing about micheal jackson and paris hilton sharing a hotel room together

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-11-10/1714:18> »
I always like to use Remington Steele.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #5 on: <09-12-10/0201:15> »
heh, it's usually Jack Burton for my Riggers, Ashley Campbell (Ash) or Snake Plisken for my sams, and Ed Greenwood for my mages.

But other popular choices are jack o'neil, jane cobb, Fox mulder, Micheal meyers, Kai allard-liao, Morgan Kell..... etc etc etc.
But thats just when I want to be lazy, i actually come up with names "off the cuff" that sound like real people rather easily.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-10/0312:37> »
In my group we ruled that SINs come with a randomly picked name (picked by the GM that is) and if we want that name change, it costs extra (since most fake SINs arent created, just changed so they fit the buyer better).
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-12-10/0318:21> »
And if they are created, they are probably not created "on the fly" but in a longer process. So you surely can't go into a forger's shop and say "Two Hannibal Lectors and one Peter Meiers, please."
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Tex Muldoon

• Newb
  • Just squeeezzee the trigger?
« Reply #8 on: <09-12-10/2028:33> »
I always a title, like "Lord" or "Sir" don't know why. Cops never bothered me.
"You don't shoot til the can hits the ground" Snake Pliskin

Kubz

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-12-10/2344:55> »

tex should be bothered more often.  makes life interesting.  i personally like the dumb name approach for low rating fake SINs.  "You are john galt?!  Get back here rusty shackleford!!  Nice moo moo ms. johnson!"  course i havent really considered very serious names.  i am now tho...
People are like slinkys.  They are a lot of fun to watch fall down stairs.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <09-13-10/0854:02> »
Ideally, you should choose old celebrities. No one remembers people like Charlie Chaplin, Mae West or Henry Fonda, so it should be safe to use their names... ;)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #11 on: <09-13-10/1041:26> »
John Wayne, Charles Norris, and Steven McQueen are also ones I've used.

However, a word of the wise. If you are going to use a name, make sure the ethnicity matches up. Nothing peakes a law enforcement-type's interest like a caucasion with a name like "Jackie Chan".

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Tex Muldoon

• Newb
  • Just squeeezzee the trigger?
« Reply #12 on: <09-13-10/1143:41> »

tex should be bothered more often.  makes life interesting.  i personally like the dumb name approach for low rating fake SINs.  "You are john galt?!  Get back here rusty shackleford!!  Nice moo moo ms. johnson!"  course i havent really considered very serious names.  i am now tho...
In my line of work I need to blend it. Besides I dump SINs like they are going out of style. I only keep 2 on hand for emergencies.
"You don't shoot til the can hits the ground" Snake Pliskin

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #13 on: <09-13-10/1250:30> »
heh, it's usually Jack Burton for my Riggers, Ashley Campbell (Ash) or Snake Plisken for my sams, and Ed Greenwood for my mages.

But other popular choices are jack o'neil, jane cobb, Fox mulder, Micheal meyers, Kai allard-liao, Morgan Kell..... etc etc etc.
But thats just when I want to be lazy, i actually come up with names "off the cuff" that sound like real people rather easily.
I have a great blackmail picture of Ed trying to slip R.A. Salvatore the tongue at the Drzz't 20th anniverasry party. Now Which Author I could blackmail I do not know! ???

As for names well I am very fond of names that sound dirty. Like:
Dumas Fuker
Ima Hooker (character from the March trilagy)
Hu Flung Pu
Richard Black

You know fun names.
« Last Edit: <09-13-10/1254:22> by Usda Beph »
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Wayfinder

• Newb
  • fraggin fragged frag
« Reply #14 on: <09-13-10/2127:43> »
I've always named the faked SINs for my players myself. Sometimes for story reasons, sometimes to pick on players. Like giving the big bad troll a name like Poindexter.