NEWS

Neo-Tokyo FAQ Discussion

• 90 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #15 on: <03-15-18/0406:21> »
I have some questions regarding the basic police responses and SINs/Licenses
-If your fake SIN is burned do you then have to present another SIN or suffer the detention and relocation? It doesn't make a lot of sense for the cops to just fine you without actually verifying your identity. Presumably if you keep presenting fake SINs and they keep getting detected the cops will tire of that game pretty quickly.
That's the best. "Oh I'm sorry Officer, that's my fake SIN, I use to cut down on the spam you see, here's my Really, Real SIN. Don't worry about that one bro, once the cops got you on fake SIN I think your gonna get some nice new bracelets, and take nice ride to the station. Unless your contact handy and you can get this situation taken care of real quickly.

-Are Licenses checked individually or is that just all abstracted with the SIN check?
-When a SIN is burned are all licenses attached to that SIN invalidated, making the associated items unlicensed and subject to confiscation?
-Upon arrest are unlicensed items also confiscated?

A lot of these came up when contemplating a Decker. For a Decker deck confiscation is basically character death and even assuming paying the 1k everytime you end up interacting with the police it seems far too likely to happen for my comfort.
To the first IIRC they are checked individually, as they will have their own ratings.
Yes, but don't worry no more gun licenses anyways, just imagine the fortune runners are going to save on that one.
As to confiscation it's one of those things, my money would say yes, evidence and all that. But it's also one of those things, getting busted is epic failure situations. Along the lines of TPK. I can honestly say beyond a few close calls at some boarder crossings back in Denver, I don't think its ever happened in a game ether i was running or playing in, so this will be a great season to find out!!! :D
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Cormroc

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <03-15-18/0535:08> »
That's the best. "Oh I'm sorry Officer, that's my fake SIN, I use to cut down on the spam you see, here's my Really, Real SIN. Don't worry about that one bro, once the cops got you on fake SIN I think your gonna get some nice new bracelets, and take nice ride to the station. Unless your contact handy and you can get this situation taken care of real quickly.
The FAQ seems pretty explicit that you only get arrested on a fake SIN being detected if that SIN is rating 4+. Not possessing any SIN you are detained for 8 hours, getting caught with a 4+ fake you are arrested for 24, everything else looks to just be a fine.

To the first IIRC they are checked individually, as they will have their own ratings.
Yes, but don't worry no more gun licenses anyways, just imagine the fortune runners are going to save on that one.
As to confiscation it's one of those things, my money would say yes, evidence and all that. But it's also one of those things, getting busted is epic failure situations. Along the lines of TPK. I can honestly say beyond a few close calls at some boarder crossings back in Denver, I don't think its ever happened in a game ether i was running or playing in, so this will be a great season to find out!!! :D
In my skimming I did miss where the FAQ states that licenses will be checked in addition to SINs. The point of the question about licenses being burned was not one of having to buy new licenses as that was expected, but more just asking if the intended result of getting a SIN burned is all restricted gear getting confiscated. It just seems pretty steep for such a common occurrence. From the sounds of it, unless you are paying the 1k every time, SINS are going to be getting burned a lot.

The SRM FAQ says the default SIN checking system used by NTPD patrols is rating 3.  That's 6 dice to come up with 4 hits* vs a Rating 4 SIN... odds are pretty fair in your favor it'll pass.  But not so guaranteed that you can necessarily afford to risk being checked spuriously.  Purchase a Fake SIN with a rating less than 4 at your peril.  A rating 4 is only 10,000 =Y=... anyone who's not priority E on resources can even afford a couple of them.

I like that Season 9 begins to enforce that you "should" be buying Fake SINs :)

*Edit: Actually the Police need 5 hits on 6 dice to truly burn you... if it's "only" 4 hits the systems directs the user to inquire more deeply (SR5 Pg 364).  At 4 hits you get the 2nd chance to salvage the situation.  But if you drop as low as a Rating 3 Fake SIN... now it's only 3 hits out of 6 to come up with a "inquire more deeply" and potential for a social encounter with the Cops to be mishandled...  OTOH a rating 6 should be among the first post-chargen purchases for Neo-Tokyo SRM... a Rating 6 DOES pretty much let you assume you'll breeze through random police patrol SIN scans (6 dice can't get the 7 hits necessary to burn a Rating 6 SIN)

In my opinion "Odds are pretty fair in your favor" is not good enough when the failure case is the end of the character. That is really the core of my issues here, I don't like the possibility of losing a character to one moderate case of bad luck in an extremely mundane situation. In my experience losing chars usually comes as the result of some pretty epically bad judgement coupled with quite a bit of bad luck.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-15-18/1029:42> »
In my opinion "Odds are pretty fair in your favor" is not good enough when the failure case is the end of the character. That is really the core of my issues here, I don't like the possibility of losing a character to one moderate case of bad luck in an extremely mundane situation. In my experience losing chars usually comes as the result of some pretty epically bad judgement coupled with quite a bit of bad luck.

Sounds like your decker should then begin play with an implanted cyberdeck.  Presuming the laws of JIS/Neo-Tokyo at all resemble those of North America there won't be any surgical removal on the street or even if detained... that'd only come after a criminal conviction.  If it ever does.

And then buy a Rating 6 Fake SIN with your first mission's money... you'll be immune to Rating 3 checkers for every mission except your first.  Until you can get your Rating 6, a Rating 4 has an 87% chance to pass when scanned by a rating 3 checker.  If those odds aren't good enough for you, you can go right to the bribery as described in the FAQ to assure the nice patrolmen that they don't need to check your SIN afterall.
« Last Edit: <03-15-18/1033:23> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-15-18/2020:14> »
Or, carry a taser and a Katana.  I mean, if you're not trying to cart around an illegal firearm you'll never get checked in the first place.  Or, crazy thought, leave the gun in the car until you're actually going someplace where you'll need it?

The entire chain of events starts with the question "Are you caring an illegal firearm on your person?".  Say no.  Done.  Decker with a cyberarm of punching and a built in Taser?  No problem, have a nice day sir.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-15-18/2141:26> »
I got the idea he was more worried about a Decker being rendered unplayable by having his Cyberdeck confiscated in a routine police check.

To recap there's getting good enough SINs to make that unlikely/impossible.  There's the bribes to bypass using a fake SIN entirely.

Then there's the probably wise move of not waving your cyberdeck around for every police drone to see.  Even if you don't have it implanted, carrying one around inside your jacket is easy peasy lemon squeezy.  Put a point into palming if you feel necessary.. but I doubt illegal communications devices are what the cops care about when they're doing routine checks.*  Regardless, the Neo Tokyo FAQ never says anything about confiscating anything but firearms.  It'd be a violation of SRM Rule #1 for a GM to extend that rule to cover grabbing your cyberdeck just to take your cyberdeck.

*= of course you absolutely COULD be doing something illegal with your cyberdeck that might get the cops involved and on the lookout for illegal cyberdeck(s)... that's what the Wrapper program is for.  NTPD drones and security deckers are not gonna bother matrix perceptioning every legit commlink in the sprawl just to see if it's really a cyberdeck posing as a legal commlink.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Zanaks

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <03-15-18/2144:28> »
A couple of questions I had, mostly involving adepts. 
What counts as a casualty to bring HTR teams?  If I paralyze a bunch of people with nerve strike will that bring the HTR team?
Would being awakened and not having a license on the broadcasting SIN be flagged and cause a patrol to show up?
I would also like to second the questions about what happens when a SIN is burned.  If a rating 3 or less SIN is burned, what happens besides the fine?

I also have some questions about how adepts and astral signatures work.  I could not find anything in any of the books about adepts and astral signatures, and now it very well could matter if a HTR team is on the way. 
Can adepts that take the astral perception power erase astral signatures?
When do adepts leave astral signatures?  do all powers leave behind a signature?  What is the force considered?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-16-18/1042:56> »
A couple of questions I had, mostly involving adepts. 
What counts as a casualty to bring HTR teams?  If I paralyze a bunch of people with nerve strike will that bring the HTR team?
Would being awakened and not having a license on the broadcasting SIN be flagged and cause a patrol to show up?
I would also like to second the questions about what happens when a SIN is burned.  If a rating 3 or less SIN is burned, what happens besides the fine?

I also have some questions about how adepts and astral signatures work.  I could not find anything in any of the books about adepts and astral signatures, and now it very well could matter if a HTR team is on the way. 
Can adepts that take the astral perception power erase astral signatures?
When do adepts leave astral signatures?  do all powers leave behind a signature?  What is the force considered?

Any combat test should count as causing casualties really. 
Awakened and no Licence, probably not?  Licence checks only happen if you're being stopped for some other reason.  Walking while mage isn't a stop and frisk offence as far as I can tell.
Burning SINs, don't get caught and never worry about it!  : )   Seriously, just don't get caught.
Astral Signatures, Adepts, and you!  Technically they should leave a signature but RAW is kinda sketchy, most GMs go with something like Levels in the power = force when you use a power that causes drain.  Yes Adepts can take Astral Perception and clean a signature.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-16-18/1223:27> »
Walking while mage isn't a stop and frisk offence as far as I can tell.

OTOH walking while having active spells/magic on you IS a stop and frisk (check License) offense in most places.  Neo-Tokyo doesn't say otherwise, so I'd presume it's the same there as it is for most places when it comes to sustained spells/active foci being dangled about in public.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-16-18/1258:47> »
Something I kind of wonder about is the nature of Corp SINs (limited and otherwise) in Neo-Tokyo from "foreign" AAAs.  Pretty much ever since the beginning Japan has been the nearly exclusive playground of the Japanacorps.  Sounds like thematically Neo Tokyo is welcoming in foreign investment as well as metahumans starting with season 9.  Be very nice to see some attention given to how prejudices against metahumans and "gaijin" differ from more conventional settings like Seattle.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #24 on: <03-17-18/0130:07> »
I don't doubt that such prejudice will be a central theme to parts of this series.  As the old guard corps attempt buck this sort of Neo-Meiji Restoration  So brush the dust off your old Kenshin Fansubs, and go watch The Last Samurai.  I'm very interested to see what Yak's look like, and how that is handled, i suspect it one of the reasons made man was removed in this version.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <03-19-18/1713:01> »
Are the following two official errata going to be used for Season 9+?  They are not in an errata PDF nor in the current printing of the the core rulebook, but significantly improve the lives of Technomancers.

https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=24595.msg467945#msg467945

https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=24595.msg488013#msg488013
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #26 on: <03-21-18/0153:19> »
Thanks for all the comments.

I’m seeing a lot of questions about what Missions characters can play, respective to whether they are ‘Chicago’ characters or ‘Neo-Tokyo’ characters.  We will be clarifying this in the next iteration.

Suffice to say, characters from the Chicago arcs will NOT be able to play in any of the Neo-Tokyo SRMs or the CMPs released along with those SRMs.  Also, Neo-Tokyo characters will not be able to play any of the CMPs released prior to the Neo-Tokyo SRMs.

Prime Runners will not be able to play in CMPs released alongside the Neo-Tokyo SRMs.

I hope that’s a bit clearer.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat – gotcha on the quibble and adding a clarifying note.  Also, good catch on SMGs and Hand Grenades!  Bullets will probably not see availability hikes, to be honest.

Seeing concerns about Policing and Consequences and I am confident those will be handled eloquently within the modules and by GMs.  With Missions, we’re not interested in playing an ‘arrest and imprisonment’ simulator.  The idea is to determine that a violation has been made and adjudicate some (very) annoying penalties.  Your decker will not be losing their deck, you won’t be getting a criminal SIN (in most cases).  Arrests and displacements could be very troublesome on time sensitive Missions but aren’t designed to cripple the character.

Multiple casualties is GM discretion.  Honestly, if it looks like you’re tickling a bunch of people, probably not.  But if the various cameras and sensors and witnesses see you punching a bunch of people and they fall down and don’t move anymore, bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?

Official Errata is used in Missions unless the FAQ specifically says so.

Alright, looks like I’ve covered most everything.  Keep up the questions, like any playtesting, putting something before more eyes gives us a better idea of what we might have missed.  Thank you all so very much!
That's just like... your opinion, man.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-21-18/1103:36> »
Alright, looks like I’ve covered most everything.  Keep up the questions, like any playtesting, putting something before more eyes gives us a better idea of what we might have missed.  Thank you all so very much!

Just to reiterate a suggestion I already made upthread:

I'd like to see the Neo-Tokyo FAQ give a baseline for how prejudices differ from Sixth World North American norms.  Some players will have more or less experience with Japanese culture than others, and knowing what the official stance on how that culture exists in the Sixth World in general and 2079 onwards in specific would be good to have.  The goal of SRM is to have every GM on the same page afterall!

Thanks for giving us a chance to voice feedback.

evilaustintom

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <03-21-18/1423:11> »
Here's a question/concern...

The Missions FAQ draft seems to suggest that when getting hired for missions, you won't be 'negotiating' with your Mr. Johnson.  In Japanese cultures of Neo-Tokyo, it's considered 'bad form' to ask for more money - they give you what they give you (the best they can) up front.  If they feel generous after the fact, they might reward you with more later...that seem to be the gist at least.  Am I getting that right?

If so, that might be something to stress to potential face characters.  Also, the negotiation skill becomes much less important (although still useful in OTHER negotiating scenes). 

Unless I'm understanding it wrong, and there IS still a negotiation with Mr. Johnson (or rather, the Japanese equivalent)...but it's done in a completely different way - all subtle, and perhaps 'unspoken' (so you still roll to see how well you do, and your successes can adjust the pay for your job).

So...I guess my simple question is...which is it?
« Last Edit: <03-21-18/1424:44> by evilaustintom »
"Don't worry!  I'm your Candyman - we can make that happen..."

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <03-21-18/1430:43> »
Sounds to me like you still negotiate payment terms.  The FAQ is giving roleplaying tips on how negotation is actually handled in-character.  You'd come across as a crass gaijin if you just demanded mo' money rather than "reminding" Tanaka-san about your expenses and risks.