NEWS

Would you Patreon small Shadowrun PDFs?

• 19 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-28-15/1355:43> »
I'm assuming Patreon has some sort of fee for using it, much like Kickstarter takes a certain percentage of funds pledged for facilitating the pledge drive?

I'd be open to what falar mentioned for the Fate World model, in whichever system gives the least overhead (i.e. Kickstarter or Patreon doesn't matter, as long as most of the money goes to Catalyst...).

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #16 on: <12-28-15/1412:46> »
I'd be open to what falar mentioned for the Fate World model, in whichever system gives the least overhead (i.e. Kickstarter or Patreon doesn't matter, as long as most of the money goes to Catalyst...).
It's probably about the same between the two. Kickstarter is just more of a one and done model than an ongoing model.

Honestly, CGL could do it without using Patreon. Like I said, done that way, it's a glorified pre-order system. So if they had a way to do that through their own website and hand out DriveThruRPG codes, they would get more of the money that way. They would just have to invest in building and maintaining that system. I think they'd end up breaking even doing it themselves versus doing it through Patreon. Why reinvent the wheel?

One thing that Patreon usually does is that you have one pledge level that's just, "you get the stuff" and one that's more "you get the stuff and get to see it while we build it" and one that's more "you may get to help us make decisions while we make it". For me, that would break into a 5 - 10 - 20 levels. When they're looking at the list of projects they want to do, 20 dollar people could vote on the order, for instance.

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <12-28-15/1941:47> »
But it could also be an avenue for them to take back a lot of ground that they have lost.

What ground have they lost?
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-28-15/2122:34> »
CGL has used KS in the past: The Duke

I don't believe the issue is in needing funds to support development/production of new SR material (though I've argued that Sprawl Gangers would be a very interesting candidate for KS). CGL is a small company that makes extensive use in freelancers already...the challenge ( MY opinion) is that all that material ultimately has to funnel back through a finite group of people (some of whom also support BT, Valiant, board games, etc). I'm not sure crowdfunding would ever really change this...again, my opinion.

With regards to Patreon, I'm not a huge fan, but I do think that some have made excellent use of the platform to deliver great material. Now, if someone were to take on a "fanzine" project and use Patreon to source funding to pay for content, artwork, editing, etc...that would definitely pique my interest. Of course, not sure how the licensing would need to work (or if it would be needed), as that would need to b discussed by/with CGL.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <12-29-15/0130:48> »
CGL has used KS in the past: The Duke

I don't believe the issue is in needing funds to support development/production of new SR material (though I've argued that Sprawl Gangers would be a very interesting candidate for KS). CGL is a small company that makes extensive use in freelancers already...the challenge ( MY opinion) is that all that material ultimately has to funnel back through a finite group of people (some of whom also support BT, Valiant, board games, etc). I'm not sure crowdfunding would ever really change this...again, my opinion.

With regards to Patreon, I'm not a huge fan, but I do think that some have made excellent use of the platform to deliver great material. Now, if someone were to take on a "fanzine" project and use Patreon to source funding to pay for content, artwork, editing, etc...that would definitely pique my interest. Of course, not sure how the licensing would need to work (or if it would be needed), as that would need to b discussed by/with CGL.

This I wouldn't mind being involved in or paying for.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral