NEWS

Hide and Static Bomb

• 2 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« on: <10-05-19/0650:50> »
Hide (Illegal Major Action)

This action seem to be designed to hide from one specific target and seem to be opposed only by the Intuition and the Data Processing rating one specific target. That if your test is successful your entire 'network' will disappear from the matrix but for this specific target only (you vanishing like this will probably look very similar to if you just rebooted your 'network' or if you just disabled the wireless functionality of your 'network'). It seem as if it is only this specific target that need to take a matrix perception test to re-spot your now hidden 'network' (by gaining at least a tie on an Opposed Electronics + Intuition vs. your Willpower + the current Sleaze rating of your cyberdeck or living persona). Hide cannot be used against a target that already have access on your 'network'. Unclear if your 'network' need to be running silent in order to take this action or if you will simply remain hidden from the specific target until it successfully re-spot you even if you are not running silent.

Static Bomb (Technomancer Complex Form)

This complex form seem to be designed to hide from all possible targets in the entire matrix (or the entire host you are currently inside). It seem to be opposed by the Intuition and the Data Processing rating of each individual target (you roll Electronics + Resonance once to set a threshold and all targets roll against this threshold). Your entire 'network' seem to disappear from the matrix (you vanishing like this will probably look very similar to if you just rebooted your 'network' or if you just disabled the wireless functionality of your 'network') for each target that does not gain at least 1 net hit on their test and they need to perform a new Matrix Perception action against you if they want to find you again. Unclear if the intent is that it can also be used against Icons that has already gained User or Admin access on your 'network'. Unclear if your 'network' need to be running silent in order to take this complex form or if you will simply remain hidden from targets until they successfully re-spot you even if you are not running silent.

Is this how you also read it?

Hide - for reference;
When you muck about in the Matrix, you’ll probably be spotted by another icon, even if you’re running silent. You can use this action to make a target lose you. If you succeed, the target stops spotting you and needs to perform a new Matrix Perception action against you if it wants to find you again. You can’t hide from an icon that has gained User or Admin access to anything in your network.

Static Bomb - for reference;
Make an Electronics + Resonance vs. Intuition + Data Processing test against all targets that can detect you. Any target that doesn’t roll any net hits loses perception of you and must perform a Matrix Perception test to locate you once more before they may take any further action against you.

(emphasis mine)

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-05-19/1113:31> »
Ok, sonthink of Hide as a ninja smoke bomb .. it lets you disappear for a moment and then either go silent or get out of there etc without a target knowing where you went if successful. Its built to give you a chance to get out of a bad situation if you get detected and you're not setup to deal with it.

Static bomb is more like an invisibility spell type of effect.

Both cases would so no good if the opponent(s) are already in your network via user or admin access. When they are already in there is no way tou can hide your only means of escape at that point is severing your matrix connection.

Hope that makes sense.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-05-19/1402:10> »
Yes, it make sense.

The reason I posted it was mostly because I, for some reason, thought this action got changed from 5th edition (that you could take the action to hide from multiple personas at once, like both patrol IC and the spider), but now when I double check I notice that it worked identically in the previous edition as well. /me blush.

(Having said that, you can also use the fork program in order to hide from two targets with one action)