NEWS

Can I SURGE a Metavariant?

• 5 Replies

Ragmon

• Newb
« on: <04-17-15/1442:01> »
Hey all.

So a friend brought this up a few session ago.

As a metavariant can I take the SURGE quality? If yes, then how does the metavariants existing "SURGE qualities" interact with Positive Quality SURGE (do they stack, do they count as "race" specific abilities or are they already SURGE qualities, would the existing "racial SURGE qualities" count against the SURGE BP limit)?

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-17-15/2104:57> »
Runner's Companion, page 110 regarding Metagenetic Qualities:  "Only characters that have bought a metavariant metatype (pp. 70–72) or the changeling quality (p. 73) may choose qualities from this section."

So in answer to your first and second questions, no they cannot take the SURGE qualities because they automatically have access to the metagenetic qualities.  As with all qualities, unless you can take one multiple times you cannot take a metagenetic quality again (no minotaurs with added Metagenetic Improvement-Body for a 7 to 12 range).  And no, the "racial SURGE qualities" do not count against the SURGE BP limit.

Ragmon

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-18-15/0256:47> »
Runner's Companion, page 110 regarding Metagenetic Qualities:  "Only characters that have bought a metavariant metatype (pp. 70–72) or the changeling quality (p. 73) may choose qualities from this section."

So in answer to your first and second questions, no they cannot take the SURGE qualities because they automatically have access to the metagenetic qualities.  As with all qualities, unless you can take one multiple times you cannot take a metagenetic quality again (no minotaurs with added Metagenetic Improvement-Body for a 7 to 12 range).  And no, the "racial SURGE qualities" do not count against the SURGE BP limit.

Oh yea, I forgot that Metavariants can freely take Meta qualities.

One more question, do meta-qualities count separately? So, Normal Qualities (-35/+35) and separately Mate-Qualities (-35/+35)? OR Norma/Meta together (-35/+35)?

Sorry for being so daft. :)

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-18-15/2255:26> »
They count together.

Twilight

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-26-15/2325:27> »
However, page 73 has this to say under "Creating a Changeling Character":
The first step when creating a changeling character is to choose a normal metatype (human, elf, dwarf, ork, or troll), metavariant  (p. 46), or, contingent on gamemaster approval, a Non-Metahuman sapient

That says to me that metavariants can take the Surge qualities (even though they already have access to Metagenetics).  I was originally coming here to ask about Surged Sapient Critters until I stumbled across the above (GM discretion).

Dampfish

• Newb
  • Stickin' with SR4A!
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-15/1601:12> »
Except that Metavariants does NOT get to choose any Metagenetic qualities (other than those they already gain from being a Metavariant, which have already been included in the BP cost) unless they also buy the SURGE quality. Just like normal, in other words.

(Also, sorry for necroposting but this was bothering me.)
"It's not my fault if you don't understand what I'm saying."