NEWS

[SR6] Sanity check: Hacking scenarios

• 87 Replies

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #75 on: <10-16-19/1050:06> »
Next case to discusse.
Tarpit action "Data Processing rating by the same amount. If a device’s Data Processing rating is reduced to 0, the user cannot perform a Matrix action until it is 1 or more."
Commlinks
ITEM               DEVICE RATING    ATTRIBUTES (D/F)        ACTIVE PROGRAM SLOTS      AVAIL       COST
Meta Link                 1                       1/0                                   0                                 2           100¥
Sony Emperor           2                       1/1                                  1                                 2            700¥
Renraku Sensei         3                       2/0                                  1                                 2           1,000¥
Erika Elite                 4                        2/1                                 2                                 2           2,500¥
Hermes Ikon             5                        3/0                                 2                                 3           5,000¥
Transys Avalon          6                       3/1                                 3                                 3            8,000¥

In your example i can used Device Rating of commlink? Why are attributes there.
When i will follow idea of Tarpit, than:
3 commlinks has D/F x/0. I have functional and non protected commlink. In CRB i can switch attributes freely with minor action. When i switch my Hermes Ikon to D/F 0/3 (i want protect my naked photos), it became expansive fashion accessory. In my image link i see only  frozen icons and big rotatting circle.
Now i only can reboot commlink to factory settings.

-If you use the "Toolbox" Program, that gives +1 Data Processing. So you can have then - for example - 3 Firewall, 1 Data Processing with Hermes Icon Commlink.

-best protection is being in the group Hackers PAN for protection.

But if you want to have a rather secure PAN for yourself as non-Hacker this is probably the best - single commlink - possible:

Transys Avalon with Toolbox and Biofeedback Filter programs.

The Biofeedback Filter description says p.184 "Biofeedback Filter: Allow Device Rating or Body roll to soak Matrix damage."

So then your Transys Avalon rolls 3 Firewall + 2 Data Processing + 6 Device Rating = 11 Soak Dice against "Data Spike". With "Full Matrix Defense" it gets the Firewall a second time for 14 Dice.

Note that Biofeedback Filter only works for Matrix Damage not Matrix Defense in general. So against Brute Force the Defense would be Firewall + again Firewall from Full Matrix Defense + your Willpower.

---

Regarding Willpower in Matrix Defense Rolls:

Banshee wrote in a thread a while ago that Willpower is supposed to work whether or not you are actively using your Device. You can explain that in game that you use your Willpower to keep the System up to date and clean. In that reading it would make sense to ignore temporary Willpower modifiers for Matrix Defense rolls.
« Last Edit: <10-16-19/1051:44> by CigarSmoker »

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <10-16-19/1133:10> »
3 commlinks has D/F x/0. I have functional and non protected commlink. In CRB i can switch attributes freely with minor action. When i switch my Hermes Ikon to D/F 0/3 (i want protect my naked photos), it became expansive fashion accessory. In my image link i see only  frozen icons and big rotatting circle.

The most plausible answer to this problem is that the sentence "If a device’s Data Processing rating is reduced to 0, the user cannot perform a Matrix action until it is 1 or more." is not a general statement, but an effect of the Tarpit Attack. Which seems quite likely, because else, there would be a general statement that you can´t switch X/0 Commlinks into having a Firewall Attribute (or at least not without turning it into an otherwise useless soak brick).

I mean, it´s Banshee´s stuff. There´s gotta be some sense to it even after the "Editing" team flushed over the Matrix section  ::)
« Last Edit: <10-16-19/1137:04> by Finstersang »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #77 on: <10-16-19/1257:35> »

The most plausible answer to this problem is that the sentence "If a device’s Data Processing rating is reduced to 0, the user cannot perform a Matrix action until it is 1 or more." is not a general statement, but an effect of the Tarpit Attack. Which seems quite likely, because else, there would be a general statement that you can´t switch X/0 Commlinks into having a Firewall Attribute (or at least not without turning it into an otherwise useless soak brick).

I mean, it´s Banshee´s stuff. There´s gotta be some sense to it even after the "Editing" team flushed over the Matrix section  ::)

Correct, remember spe6trumps general. Tarpit should be the only place that has that reference to the effect of reducing the DP of a device. So it is only there as a measurement for the effect that Tarpit has on a device and not a general rule for devices with a DP of 0.

Also just a quick note about commlinks and potentially similar devices a preset value of 0 in DP or Firewall doesn't mean the device CAN'T perform the action, just that it sucks at it.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #78 on: <10-16-19/1345:41> »
Next. When i go in sprawl my commlink in my pocket, is only icon. It become persona when i interact with matrix by commlink.
Most people are constantly (24/7) interacting with the matrix otherwise you would not be able to see any augmented reality objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

This mean that you (or rather your matrix persona) is connected to the matrix. And it is connected to the matrix via your commlink. You can even keep it in your pocket since in SR6 almost everyone will have a wireless direct neural interface anyway.

Tarpit should be the only place that has that reference to the effect of reducing the DP of a device.
You also have Binder IC...

Other methods of reducing matrix attributes (but does not share that specific notation) include Diffusion Complex Form, Acid IC and the Hog Matrix Edge Action.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #79 on: <10-16-19/1542:28> »
Also note that, per the August Errata, if you ARE protecting a device you can not only use the Firewall of your commlink/cyberjack/RCC you can also use the better value between Device Rating and the relevant Mental attribute to defend against matrix actions.
That is not how I read it.

I read it as if the persona have mental attributes (such as your persona) then it will [always] use the pool that include mental attributes...

...while if a persona does not have mental attributes (such as an IC persona, an agent persona or a Sprite persona, for example) then it will [always] use the other pool (which instead use attributes provided from the device or the host).

Data Spike (as well as Brute Force and most other matrix actions) does not seem to have two different defense pools listed which seem to indicate that you will always defend against Data Spike by using the only listed attribute combination of Data Processing and Firewall.

Edit File list two different pools which seem to indicate that if you (that have a persona with mental attributes) would defend with Intuition + Firewall while for example if you have a Sprite actively defending (a persona without mental attributes) then it would instead defend with Firewall + Firewall.

hecker
(it is spelled hacker)

When i switch my Hermes Ikon to D/F 0/3 (i want protect my naked photos), it became expansive fashion accessory. In my image link i see only  frozen icons and big rotatting circle.
You can still take matrix actions as long as a hacker is not successfully attacking your matrix persona with tarpit or as long as a host is not successfully attacking your matrix persona with binder IC.

Having said that, everything are matrix actions... It seem as if you can't switch interface mode or exit host or reboot or even attempt to jack out as all of them are matrix actions. I wonder if this is really the intent here..... :-/

At the time of writing they were maybe focused on Data Processing actions (which is no longer really a thing in SR6), but in that case it would prevent you from taking the following actions: Change Icon, Edit File, Encrypt File, Jump into Rigged Device, Matrix Perception, Invite Mark, Matrix Search, Reboot Device, Send Message and Switch Interface Mode (but all other actions, including Enter/Exit Host, Full Matrix Defense and Jack Out, for example, would be a valid actions). Note that this is just speculation on my part.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #80 on: <10-16-19/1602:54> »
Well, I happen to know that the intent is that a Host isn't supposed to made easier to hack because it has a Spider defending it.  You're not supposed to HAVE to use the mental stat if the Host or Device has a better rating than the defender's mental stat.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

hulka

• Newb
« Reply #81 on: <10-16-19/1608:40> »
I agree with Xenon.
(Sorry EN isnot my native language)
Also note that, per the August Errata, if you ARE protecting a device you can not only use the Firewall of your commlink/cyberjack/RCC you can also use the better value between Device Rating and the relevant Mental attribute to defend against matrix actions.

Cybereyes Device rating 4 are better than most commlinks. And i can use this DR to defense. Then connect it to PAN is useless.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <10-16-19/1612:09> »
I agree with Xenon.
(Sorry EN isnot my native language)

Cybereyes Device rating 4 are better than most commlinks. And i can use this DR to defense. Then connect it to PAN is useless.

In 6we, Cybereyes never have had their Device Rating given, though.  Rating 4 does not mean Device Rating 4.  As I said earlier, my suggestion for Cyberware Device Ratings is to extend 5e's yardstick to 6we.  (DR 2 for standard grade, DR 3 for Alphaware, DR 4 for Betaware, DR 5 for Deltaware).  So, yes.  If you shell out for beta or delta-grade cybereyes, then yes they'll be hard to hack.  Kind of the point.  For what you're paying, they really should be harder to hack than a cheap commlink.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #83 on: <10-16-19/1614:58> »

The Program "Biofeedback Filter" is the only way you can include Device Rating in the defense against Matrix Damage. Since the Cybereyes have no "Active Program" Slots you cant use their Device Rating in any rolls - because you cant have Programs running on it. Their Device Rating is only to adjust their Matrix Condition Monitor which is (DeviceRating/2 +8)

But if you know where its written that DR is used in Matrix defense please point me there ^^ and btw english isnt my native language either. I understand you just fine, but thats easier usually for two non native speakers :D

hulka

• Newb
« Reply #84 on: <10-16-19/1630:30> »
To understand. I dont want use DR to defensive roll.
That is from my discusion with SSDR.
Summary, Defensive roll is described in each Matrix action. When i actively defend my devices i can use mental attributes. When my devices have better grade and better DR, i can use their DR to Defensive roll to protect this devices, not protect my commlink i supposse.
Correct?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #85 on: <10-16-19/1632:57> »
Well, I happen to know that the intent is that a Host isn't supposed to made easier to hack because it has a Spider defending it.  You're not supposed to HAVE to use the mental stat if the Host or Device has a better rating than the defender's mental stat.
Backdoor Entry does not have two defense pools listed. Only one. This mean that the Host will defend with the only defense pool there is. If there is no Spider then the Host will only defend with its own Firewall. If there is a Spider then the host will defend with the Willpower of the Spider + its own Firewall. Device Rating does not seem to be part of the equation at all.

There is even a clarifying example on p. 178

Device rating is not really used at all in this edition (beyond Matrix Condition Monitor Boxes, Opposing Crash Program and Opposing Override).

And Host rating seem to be mostly used just for IC (Host rating x 2 seem to be used for most rolls, Attack Rating and Matrix Condition Monitor Boxes).

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #86 on: <10-16-19/1644:39> »
To understand. I dont want use DR to defensive roll.
That is from my discusion with SSDR.
Summary, Defensive roll is described in each Matrix action. When i actively defend my devices i can use mental attributes. When my devices have better grade and better DR, i can use their DR to Defensive roll to protect this devices, not protect my commlink i supposse.
Correct?

Yes but this will rarely help you. Device Rating 4 is pretty high already a Commlink with lower Device Rating than 4 has only 1 Program Slot so you can only run either Toolbox or Biofeedback Filter. So no benefit there. If you really want to run your Cybereyes wireless it would be better with a Transys Avalon DR 6 and then your Cybereyes could use the superior stats to defend from Matrix Attacks. Including the higher Device Rating. [all Rules as written, not what they are intended, the Biofeedback Filter looks like it could be changed in Errata]

note:
There are no stats for Cyberware Device Ratings at the moment anyway so its totally up to the GM how high their Device Rating is.

hulka

• Newb
« Reply #87 on: <10-16-19/1646:36> »
Amen.
Exactly.