NEWS

SR6 / 6E - Attributes / Adjustment Points clarification-Which can be used where?

• 5 Replies

gargaM0NK

• Newb
« on: <09-25-19/2029:14> »
Attribute Points can obviously be spent on Physical and Mental Attributes, but beyond that I'm not quite clear.

•   Can they also be spent on Special Attributes?
    • On the one hand, the Attribute section in character creation (p63) mentions Physical, Mental, and Special Attributes.
    • However, In the example on p64 "Priority D in metatype will let him be an elf and give him a few points for Edge and Magic adjustment." in combination with the description of Adjustment Points "used to modify Magic/Resonance, purchase Edge, and enhance the special racial attributes", it seems to suggest only Adjustment Points can be applied to Special Attributes.
    • My assumption from the text would be that they cannot.
  •     Can they be spent to raise a Metatype-specific attributes above 6, or can that only be done with Adjustment points?
    • My assumption would be yes, except that Adjustment Points seem separate from Attributes, and specifically mention exceeding 1-6.
  • Does the rule "During character creation, only one attribute may be at the maximum for the selected metatype." apply to Edge and Magic / Resonance?
    • My assumption from prior editions would be yes, except perhaps for the fact that it seems odd for this to fall under Attributes if that section otherwise applies to Physical and Mental attributes only.
My apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched for 6E "Attributes" and "Adjustment Points", as well as looked at the Errata, and was unable to find a clarification.
« Last Edit: <09-25-19/2044:23> by gargaM0NK »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-25-19/2053:25> »
    You've got some valid questions about Attribute Points gained via the priority chart. Unfortunately, there's a bit of assumption baked in about the reader being familiar with prior editions. And of course, that's not ideal.  Here are the best answers I can give you:

The language on pg 63 should not have equated Physical, Mental, and Special attributes.  There are Attributes and Special Attributes, and inside the "Attributes Bucket" are Physical and Mental Attributes.  The points you get from the Priority Table for your "Attributes" pick are intended to only be spent on Physical and Mental attributes.

Of course, it gets a little more complex in the rules for your Metatype pick, as it introduces "Special Racial Attributes" which overlaps with "Attributes".  The Adjustment Points from your Metatype priority pick can be spent on Special Racial Attributes and Special Attributes.

So here's an example of running a hypothetical Ork character through the weeds:

Body: This is an Attribute, a Physical Attribute, and a Special Racial Attribute for Orks. You can freely mix and match points here from your Attributes priority pick and your Metatype pick. You don't have to put in 6 points of Attributes before spending any Adjustment Points to go to 7 or 8.  In fact, you don't have to spend any Attribute Points- you can just spend Adjustment Points to advance from 1!

Agility: This is an Attribute, a Physical Attribute, but not a Special Racial Attribute for Orks.  You may only spend Attribute points here.

Edge: This is a Special Attribute.  You may only spend Adjustment Points here.

etc.

Of course, once you reach Step Four of the chargen process, you may spend Karma without respect to Attribute Type.

• Does the rule "During character creation, only one attribute may be at the maximum for the selected metatype." apply to Edge and Magic / Resonance?
    • My assumption from prior editions would be yes, except perhaps for the fact that it seems odd for this to fall under Attributes if that section otherwise applies to Physical and Mental attributes only.
My apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched for 6E "Attributes" and "Adjustment Points", as well as looked at the Errata, and was unable to find a clarification.

The intent is only 1 "Attribute", which is the combination of Physical and Mental Attributes, may be maxxed out. Unfortunate language... Special Attributes are "attributes" but not "Attributes".
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

gargaM0NK

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-25-19/2119:16> »
Thanks for the response!

So the answers are:
  • No.
  • Yes.
  • No.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-26-19/0132:49> »
This isn't the first time I encounter someone who thinks the 6-limit applies here somehow, so let me quote the exact sections relevant.
Baseline attributes range start at 1 and can go
up to 6. That range is modified by metatype and/
or chosen qualities.
In other words, the RANGE defaults to 1-6 but can be 1-X depending on circumstances. There's no limit of 'ma 6' on attribute points.
During character creation, only one attribute
may be at the maximum for the selected metatype
Each metatype
(except for human) has two or more attributes that
can be outside the base 1–6 range. These are the
special racial attributes, and they can be increased
with adjustment points from this column.
You can raise the attributes, not just the part outside the base range.

So if you're an Elf, you can put 6 Attribute Points into Charisma to raise it from 1 to 7. Or you can use 3 Attribute Points to raise it to 4, then 4 Adjustment Points to raise it further to 8. You're not limited to attribute points until 6 and adjustment points above that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-26-19/0717:17> »
On page 63 regarding Attributes is written: [...] During charater generation, only one attribute may be at the maximum for the selected metatype"
On page 64 (see attachment) those Attributes are everything except Magic/Resonance.

I think too that it might be RAI not to be able to raise Magic/Resonance with "Attributes" Priority. But thats very vague in RAW.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <09-26-19/0733:00> »
It's definitely RAI. But you're right about the RAW being way too vague.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!