NEWS

Missions FAQ update?

• 38 Replies

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« on: <02-17-16/0902:48> »
Since Hard Targets hit the street January 20th, meaning the book goes legal for missions play on the 19th (2 days from now), will we be seeing a new FAQ or will it be pushed back and released after Rigger 5 goes legal?
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-16/1054:39> »
there is a new FAQ going up by the end of the week that covers everything except Rigger 5 ... we finished it up monday and is just going through some polishing for appearance right now
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-16/1239:16> »
Wonderful, thanks for answering.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-17-16/1334:35> »
It's up, enjoy!
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-17-16/1336:16> »
Any chance someone could put it anywhere other than dropbox.com? It'd be great if it was uploaded directly to shadowrun.com for example

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-17-16/1355:02> »
Is there a problem with it in Dropbox of which I might not be aware?
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-17-16/1404:49> »
Let's just say that their certificate handling could be better, amongst other things.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-17-16/1413:37> »
Well, I will continue to use Dropbox to post this as I haven't had any issues with Dropbox since I've been using it.

I would post it over to Shadowrun.com, but the decision was made to archive the Shadowrun Tabletop threads as we already have these forums.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-17-16/1433:14> »
Noticing a number of changes to the qualities allowed/disallowed lists.  Interesting...

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-17-16/1650:55> »
Question(s) about Unarmed Combat Specializations, or lack thereof...

Quote from: SRM Chicago FAQ ver 0.2, page 16
Specializations may not be chosen for Unarmed Combat. The Martial Arts rules from ​ Run & Gun
(pgs. 128­142) should be used instead. If you purchased a specialization for Unarmed Combat under the
original FAQ rules you get refunded 7 Karma that can be spent however you like.

Two things...
One, this comes across a little confusing because

Quote from: SRM Chicago FAQ ver 0.2, page 34
Can we use the Martial Arts as a Specialization from the sidebar on ​ Run & Gun, ​ pg. 135?

Yes, but it only applies to the skill listed in the chart. The optional rule to allow some MA’s to give
you two different specializations is not used.

Which a good portion of this chart are specializations in Unarmed Combat.  So you have one part of the FAQ saying no to UA specializations and another saying yes to UA specializations, as long as they are with the appropriate martial art.  You may want to consider rewording one or both of these to lessen potential confusion.

And two, REALLY!  I still can't take an Unarmed Combat specialization in Cyber Implant Weaponry!?  What the he... heck?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-17-16/1702:08> »
Question(s) about Unarmed Combat Specializations, or lack thereof...

Quote from: SRM Chicago FAQ ver 0.2, page 16
Specializations may not be chosen for Unarmed Combat. The Martial Arts rules from ​ Run & Gun
(pgs. 128­142) should be used instead. If you purchased a specialization for Unarmed Combat under the
original FAQ rules you get refunded 7 Karma that can be spent however you like.

Two things...
One, this comes across a little confusing because

Quote from: SRM Chicago FAQ ver 0.2, page 34
Can we use the Martial Arts as a Specialization from the sidebar on ​ Run & Gun, ​ pg. 135?

Yes, but it only applies to the skill listed in the chart. The optional rule to allow some MA’s to give
you two different specializations is not used.

Which a good portion of this chart are specializations in Unarmed Combat.  So you have one part of the FAQ saying no to UA specializations and another saying yes to UA specializations, as long as they are with the appropriate martial art.  You may want to consider rewording one or both of these to lessen potential confusion.

And two, REALLY!  I still can't take an Unarmed Combat specialization in Cyber Implant Weaponry!?  What the he... heck?

I forgot that was still in there, I agree it needs addressed, I will bring it up on our next skype call to go over but that means it will next release before anything changes.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <02-18-16/1130:26> »
One more thing has crossed my mind,

The notoriety hit to the social limit (P. 27 of FAQ 0.2) of someone using a social skill (Negotiation comes to mind) is going to suck, considering that pretty much EVERY mission I have played forces the entire party to be present when negotiating with the Johnson (You know, kinda like the example in the FAQ.)

Yes I know that according to CRB p.368 you can spend Street Cred to reduce Notoriety, it's going to have to be brought up at almost every table at every Con, as I'm sure there are quite a few players that don't know you can do this.  (And yes, I'm hoping they read it here)

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #12 on: <02-18-16/1336:39> »
One more thing has crossed my mind,

The notoriety hit to the social limit (P. 27 of FAQ 0.2) of someone using a social skill (Negotiation comes to mind) is going to suck, considering that pretty much EVERY mission I have played forces the entire party to be present when negotiating with the Johnson (You know, kinda like the example in the FAQ.)

Yes I know that according to CRB p.368 you can spend Street Cred to reduce Notoriety, it's going to have to be brought up at almost every table at every Con, as I'm sure there are quite a few players that don't know you can do this.  (And yes, I'm hoping they read it here)

It was something we discussed at length and in depth.  Reputation as a whole had little use in Mission, so we wanted to come up with a way to use it all, for good or ill.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-18-16/1450:03> »
Some nice changes in this one. Definitely a pleasant surprise to see some Code of Honor choices becoming available.

Loosing the ability to upgrade Cultured Bioware kinda sucks. I can understand why as there's no resale value, but would upgrading from Cerebral Booster 1 to Cerebral Booster 2 really be starting from scratch? Going up a grade I can fully understand being a complete replacement, but seems like increasing a rating would be adding more to the existing system?

All in all some good changes, I'm liking the way things are headed.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #14 on: <02-18-16/1818:29> »
Some nice changes in this one. Definitely a pleasant surprise to see some Code of Honor choices becoming available.

Loosing the ability to upgrade Cultured Bioware kinda sucks. I can understand why as there's no resale value, but would upgrading from Cerebral Booster 1 to Cerebral Booster 2 really be starting from scratch? Going up a grade I can fully understand being a complete replacement, but seems like increasing a rating would be adding more to the existing system?

All in all some good changes, I'm liking the way things are headed.

Thank you very much!  The SRM FAQ Committee appreciates positive feedback greatly!

As an FYI, I went back to the very first SRM FAQ and the ability to upgrade cultured bioware was already not allowed.  It's something we can discuss.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team