NEWS

Introductory Box Release Date

• 84 Replies

happybritches

• Newb
« Reply #60 on: <12-22-13/2128:55> »
Well it is good to know that this is going to be released, however I am quite disappointed that they are releasing this as two boxes AND pushing it back until April.  We were told in their post about "The Year Of Shadowrun" that this product would be out in the spring of last year. My FLGS owner is scared to sell these products due to the inaccurate release dates they keep throwing around. I was really hoping to give this product as a christmas gift.  Was all of the talk about mocking up the box and what not bullshit? Why is there so much misdirection coming from a company as small as Catalyst?

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #61 on: <12-23-13/0119:28> »
Why is there so much misdirection coming from a company as small as Catalyst?

They take their time to make everything perfect. And they deliver.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #62 on: <12-24-13/1129:23> »
Why is there so much misdirection coming from a company as small as Catalyst?

For a second, I thought this was serious.  I think the misdirection comes because the company is so organizationally fragmented that people honestly don't know what everyone else is doing.  It's not misdirection, it's just a symptom of the internal confusion about what the company is doing.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #63 on: <12-24-13/1131:37> »
Even if you don't take the post serious, it still contains the truth.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #64 on: <12-24-13/1144:56> »
For a second, I thought this was serious.  I think the misdirection comes because the company is so organizationally fragmented that people honestly don't know what everyone else is doing.  It's not misdirection, it's just a symptom of the internal confusion about what the company is doing.

This is serious. I do mean it. Haste makes waste: if CGL need time to do something, we are in no position to hurry them. They will do their best and will deliver a great gaming experience.

They do make mistakes, yes. Everybody does! But these mistakes are minor: some inconsistencies in supplements, not the best wording in rules, occasional slips in rulings. But just imagine all the titanic work they had to do with SR5, all the weight of past editions on their shoulders, all the criticism they had to hear. And yet they managed to perfectly balance innovation and traditions of one of the hardest settings in gaming history and pack the game with intuitive and understandable rules.

Truth is, they deserve all the time they need.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #65 on: <12-24-13/1201:09> »
Look at it this way: Nearly every serious problem with SR5 Core came from a rushjob.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #66 on: <12-24-13/1536:06> »
Look at it this way: Nearly every serious problem with SR5 Core came from a rushjob.

Curious as to what you mean by this?

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <12-24-13/2231:14> »

Curious as to what you mean by this?

There are a few instances that if you go and and look at SR4a, the text is copied over, instead of re-written for SR5.. so, it causes confusion, because the rules have changed, so reference to old rules throws a wrench in the works.  This may be laziness and not just a rush, but more time spent should have found these.... and no, I don't recall each exact one, but the forums are seeded will with the instances.

My biggest problem is with the printing..  The pages aren't bundled into 32 page fold bundles and glued in groups, each page is glued individually it seems to the spine, and that is why pages seem to be falling out.  Granted, this is the Printer, and not CGL, but still.  Some of the other books on the market around this size.. Pathfnder, and Star Wars Edge of the Empire.. if you look along the spine, the Glue wad is a lot thicker, and the pages are folded and connected in smaller bundles, and each bundle glued into the spine, making them a lot more durable and resistant to pages falling out.

This is probably a rush job issue as well.  If they were willing to have the books even later than they were, they probably could have had few test books shipped, examined, and found the shoddy binding job, and sent them back for a better binding job...  Just like they probably could have waited on the 2nd printing until the Errata was out, but first printing sold out before street date because demand was so high.. so, another rush job to try to get Shadowrun into as many hands as possible

I say probably, because these are my best educated guesses
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #68 on: <12-24-13/2356:53> »
There are a few instances that if you go and and look at SR4a, the text is copied over, instead of re-written for SR5.. so, it causes confusion, because the rules have changed, so reference to old rules throws a wrench in the works.  This may be laziness and not just a rush, but more time spent should have found these.... and no, I don't recall each exact one, but the forums are seeded will with the instances.

Gotcha...thanks for the clarification.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #69 on: <12-25-13/0608:16> »
There's also the points where there's multiple versions of the same rules fragmented throughout the book, due to different temporary versions not having been fully cleaned up. HotPatch fixed one, fortunately.

I still really like the book. But it's clear evidence that rushing them isn't a good idea. :)

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <12-25-13/1139:17> »
There's also the points where there's multiple versions of the same rules fragmented throughout the book, due to different temporary versions not having been fully cleaned up. HotPatch fixed one, fortunately.

I still really like the book. But it's clear evidence that rushing them isn't a good idea. :)
Like Called Shots
p 163, Call a Shot says "See Called Shots p.178..  so you go to
p 178 "Any time a character wants to make Called Shots (p.195). . . 

So, one mention sends to a page, just so you can get another mention to go to the right page, instead of sending you to the right page to begin with.
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #71 on: <12-25-13/1159:44> »
That's not that bad. :P Try playing a Rigger.

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #72 on: <12-26-13/0058:45> »
Split into two boxes? One being the base beginner's box and the other a kind-of-sort-of Runner's Toolkit?

Well now my hype has gone up and I'm slightly dreading the end result.

I mean, the initial list looked reasonable enough on what you could fit in a Beginner's Box. What the hell could they have possibly added to it? And what's supposed to be in this other box that warrants a $59.99 price tag?
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #73 on: <12-31-13/2124:44> »

Given their more then a few spelling and other errors in past products, no that's not it......

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #74 on: <01-01-14/0621:30> »
You mean the extremely-rushed Sprawl Wilds and SR5 Core? Because those are an exception to the rule.