NEWS

[SR4] Plasteel Components and Laser Weapons.

• 29 Replies

DamienHollow

« on: <10-18-13/2356:39> »
Can you modify a laser weapon with Plasteel Components by the rules or would this need to be Gm discretion?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-18-13/2359:06> »
I see nothing that would prevent it if you so desire.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <10-19-13/0115:02> »
considering we can now make plastics almost as hard as some metals, sure why not?

BUT, as always, clear it with your GM first to avoid an argument.

Also note, you can NOT make the battery clip of plastic... this needs it's metal components to conduct the electrical peak charge to the emitter for the actual beam.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-19-13/0317:19> »
Reaver that sounds like you are trying to inject reality and common sense into the game. You should know that has no place here.  :P

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-19-13/0339:56> »
some people need a little dose of reality :P Even Shadowrun has aspects of it and it is a sci-fi/fantasy game :P

After all, your characters don't float around, so there is still laws of gravity and conductivity, and what not...

sure, they throw in cool weapons like lasers, but they still also work on a (semi) scientific basis. :D

Just pointing out to the OP that even though he can replace the entire casing of the gun in plastic composites, there are still several fundamental parts that NEED to remain metal and silicone for the weapon to work. Such as the battery, the charger, and the emitter.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DamienHollow

« Reply #5 on: <10-19-13/2250:04> »
Just wanted to point out that there are Non-metal conductors... but that asides, Unless you pay out the nose there aren't any plastic bullets either.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-19-13/2301:48> »
Just wanted to point out that there are Non-metal conductors... but that asides, Unless you pay out the nose there aren't any plastic bullets either.

yep, Graphite and some organic polymers... but currently they are not used that often for a few reasons. (fragile, low retentivity, poor heat tolerance, unacceptable impedance, toxic, vastly expensive... )

true the technology of 2070 is way more advanced, but it would still be a cost VS proformance VS durability issue.... so it would be a GMs call.

DamienHollow

« Reply #7 on: <10-19-13/2307:40> »
By the way, it's 72,000 nu to go plasteel 3 on a Ares MP 3 Laser... ouch. but i guess if you want to tear into a dragon or other heavy armor.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-20-13/0230:53> »
I'd be curious as to what place you are going that has MAD scanners and heavy armour or a dragon to deal with on the other side. Lofwyr's home perhaps? Seems like a bit of an expensive, very niche sort of weapon to spec out. To each his own I guess.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-20-13/0345:38> »
no recoil, no real sound....

almost the prefect weapon for an assassin...

DamienHollow

« Reply #10 on: <10-20-13/0416:36> »
I wanted something different. Looked at the Laser Weapons and said "quite, no recoil, no bullet to match, decent damage and has the reach to work even with the power drop off... Lets go Assassin!"

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-20-13/0615:41> »
I wanted something different. Looked at the Laser Weapons and said "quite, no recoil, no bullet to match, decent damage and has the reach to work even with the power drop off... Lets go Assassin!"

course, laser weapons are still rare :P

So... you use it all the time, it becomes part of your M.O..... but that is also how assassins build a reputation... by their signature kills.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-20-13/1028:19> »
You know the poor slot who had a hole melted trough his Cyberdeck and the rest of his skull? Yup, that was me.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-20-13/1608:24> »
<sniff>

anyone smell burnt toast?

Oh, nevermind, that is just Lysanderz's frontal cortex :P

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-20-13/1731:51> »
-Merges his E-Ghost with Reaver-

Snitches get stitches