NEWS

[SR 5] Tactical Tomahawk

• 4 Replies

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« on: <10-01-13/2015:19> »
I created a tactical tomahawk for a native american soldier character I just built. Ex Algonkian-Manitou Army Ranger. I thought I would share it with the community. I based its stats off of the sword, and then made modifications from there:

Accuracy: 5
Damage: Str+3
Reach: 1
Armor Penetration: -2
Special: Can be thrown with the same range as a throwing knife/shuriken.
Nuyen: 500
Concealability Modifier: +2

Well, that is it. Hope you enjoyed!
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/2150:39> by Cyber-Dave »

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-13/2036:17> »
Quote from: SR4 Arsenal page 16
Tomahawk: This traditional Native American hand axe can
also be thrown (using the Throwing Weapons skill, the range table
of shuriken, and doing the same damage as in melee combat) or
used as general purpose tool. The blades of authentic tomahawks
are still chiseled from stone and such tomahawks have become
quite popular in the Native American Nations as symbols of their
wearers’ cultural heritage.

Reach: 1
Damage: Str/2+2
AP: -
Availability: 4
Cost: 150
Your version for SR5 looks good, damage seems appropriate for a weapon designed for throwing as well as melee use. I might even consider adding another point to its armor penetration. I would definitely increase the cost - as is, your tomahawk has all the benefits of a sword plus the ability to be thrown and is no more expensive. For comparison, the throwing knife is 25 nuyen but also only adds 1 to the damage and uses [Physical] for its accuracy limit. 700 nuyen for your tomahawk seems more like it to me.

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <10-01-13/2159:39> »
Eeeks. Its actually supposed to be damage Str+3, not +2 (which is the same as what a sword deals). The idea is that it does a little more base damage than a combat knife, and has a better reach, but it doesn't penetrate armor as well, isn't as accurate, and can't be hidden as well.

I respectfully disagree on the price suggestion. A sword has 1 more point of accuracy. basically, when comparing the tomahawk to the sword, you are giving up 1 point of accuracy in favor of a throwing range. Meanwhile, let's compare to the combat knife. You can throw a combat knife (thought at knife distance, not throwing knife/shuriken distance). It would be two steps easier to conceal then this tomahawk (-2 instead of 0 or +2). Its damage is one lower, but its AP is one higher. Its reach is one lower, but its accuracy is 1 higher. All in all, they are very close, with the tomahawk having a slight advantage. The combat knife costs 300 nuyen. The tomahawk costs 500 nuyen.   

Also, lets keep in mind, it has the range of a throwing knife. It does not, however, have the wireless property. You also cannot ready three tomahawks with a single swift action.

700 nuyen seems overpriced to me. Maybe I am wrong though. 
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/2203:41> by Cyber-Dave »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <10-01-13/2305:18> »
make of it what you will, but for SR4a, the tomahawk listed in Arsenal was:

Reach:1 Dam: (STR/2+2) AP:0 Avail: 4 Cost: $150
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-01-13/2319:08> »
make of it what you will, but for SR4a, the tomahawk listed in Arsenal was:

Reach:1 Dam: (STR/2+2) AP:0 Avail: 4 Cost: $150

Yea. I kind of figure that version is to a tactical tomahawk what a knife or survival knife is to a combat knife. But, *shrug.*