NEWS

So, how'd you find Shadowrun?

• 109 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #90 on: <01-18-12/2102:14> »
1st edition, way, way back in the day.  played mecurial, the vampire rockstar one, a few others.  Our first campaign ended when we had the metahumans riot and take over the city (!), but then, we were only 11 years old.  First characters were a... hmm.. cannot remember, its been far too long.  We also played battletech around the same time, and also MERP.  We started RPGing with MERP, tried out the old marvel superheroes and Champions .... 4th ed.  Cannot remember how we got into Shadowrun, really can't, but I do remember how exited I was when I would order source books through mail order (Military Sims for those in Australia, still going strong :) ).  Once, I  got NA Guide to North America, and even though I was at some sort of BBQ with my folk's friends, I hid myself in the back of the car and read the thing.  Aahhhh.... those were the days when each  new book was like christmas :)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #91 on: <01-18-12/2156:24> »
When I was about 12 and first getting into DnD and Mechwarrior, I saw Shadowrun figurines in the old Ral Partha catalogue. They were kinda cool, so I ordered SR2, and the same with Earthdawn. Been into SR since.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #92 on: <01-18-12/2203:30> »
I first discovered Shadowrun via the video game on the Sega Genesis. God I miss that game.
Yeah...  Too bad M$ really slotted the hellhound when it was their turn.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #93 on: <01-19-12/2056:39> »
1st edition, way, way back in the day.  played mecurial, the vampire rockstar one, a few others.  Our first campaign ended when we had the metahumans riot and take over the city (!), but then, we were only 11 years old.  First characters were a... hmm.. cannot remember, its been far too long.  We also played battletech around the same time, and also MERP.  We started RPGing with MERP, tried out the old marvel superheroes and Champions .... 4th ed.  Cannot remember how we got into Shadowrun, really can't, but I do remember how exited I was when I would order source books through mail order (Military Sims for those in Australia, still going strong :) ).  Once, I  got NA Guide to North America, and even though I was at some sort of BBQ with my folk's friends, I hid myself in the back of the car and read the thing.  Aahhhh.... those were the days when each  new book was like christmas :)

Still is like that at times.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #94 on: <01-19-12/2307:53> »
Alright, so believe it or not my Math tutor introduced it to me in 7th grade. He heard that I was interested in Magic the Gathering and brought me 2 boxes of cards. In one of them were some second edition books, I picked at them and said I loved them. So he brought me his collection in a box and said he didn't need them anymore. From there it was me devouring books as I could find them and carefully trying to figure out the rules. It was AMAZING that he was just like "Here you go... have fun."

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #95 on: <01-20-12/0114:31> »
Cool guy  ;D

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #96 on: <01-30-12/1653:16> »
A GM friend introduced me in 3rd edition.  It was OK, but after playing it and WoD, D&D was never the same.  I volunteered to play in a game for 4th edition, bought a 4A book, and after playing, haven't really looked back.  Good times.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #97 on: <02-09-12/1536:32> »
At school, there was this Half Black Otaku guy that I got along with pretty well. He mostly turned our group of friends to RPGs, including Scion, Exalted and of course Shadowrun. Our first game was done at my house, in the basement using pre-gen characters. He played an Elven Adept, another friend played a Street Samurai and I played a Dwarven Rigger, complete with awful scottish accent.

We robbed a bank. I drove the Wagon into some security guards when things started going south. Which didn't take too long.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #98 on: <03-18-12/1622:35> »
Was my first RPG back when I was in my teens.  Fell in love with it, (2nd Edition at the time), and been playing since through 2nd, 3rd, and now 4th.  And, hey, loving every game, whether I just playing or GM'ing! :D
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Furmyr

• Newb
« Reply #99 on: <04-02-12/1001:12> »
I played the SNES game many moons ago and i fell in love with it (even though I had it in Swedish). Fast forward a couple of years until I was on a summer holiday in New York. Walked into a bookstore and saw a book with the Shadowrun logo, I remembered the game and I had to try it. Don't remember which book it was. But when I got home, I wanted to check out some of the other books in the series online and discovered the PnP game.

Was another few years until I finally bought it. Finally got 3rd edition and a few weeks later 4th edition was announced (which is typical of me. HERO System, GURPS, AD&D was all bought a few weeks before a new edition was announced). And now I run 4th edition once a week :)

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #100 on: <04-02-12/1341:51> »
If no one minds, I'm just going to cut and paste my introduction from my Shadowrun 2050 post.

I am not as old as some of the members of this forum, and I'm not as young as most of them. But I was younger than most when I got my start in the roleplaying hobby, back in 1988 I was introduced to an odd little game called Dungeons & Dragons. No, not AD&D (that came latter) much like FastJack and his dinosaurs, I had an instant fascination for the hobby - these were the King Arthur stories I loved to read, the incredible tales out ofLord of the Kings my mother had read me to sleep with in kindergarten, the He-Man adventures I loved to see on TV every Saturday... but I got to be the hero.

In the late spring of 1990, I was nine years old and a seasoned veteran of D&D. I'd even built my very first few dungeons, having left my original group behind when my parents moved to a new city, I had put together a new one from the kids in my new school. So a few weeks after my ninth birthday, I rode my scooter to the comicbook shop on the other side of the subdivision with a pocket full of grandpa's birthday money. I was a kid on a mission: cherry slurpee, the newest issue of Batman, and a new book of monsters for my dungeon. I didn't get my frozen sugaar water, or the comic books, or even that new monster book. I blew every dollar I had on a $28.00 hardcover book with a feathered serpent on the back, a hardcore trio of punk rockers on the front, those immortal words about dealing with dragons on page six, and a logo that fascinates me to this day: a circuit-board imprinted scroll, an American Indiant serpent coiled around a celtic knot, a ram's skull, and a new word: Shadowrun.

To a kid in subrban Detroit, in the world of 1990, the city was as dark and shadowy as any dungeon. A corporation as mysterious and arcane as any evil wizard. Japan was an exotic realm of ninjas, robots, and Nintendo. We thought that Cyndi Lauper's new video on MTV was the epitome of punk rock... I wouldn't pick up my first William Gibson novel for another four years. My introduction to the world of cyberpunk, neo-anarchy, and transhumanism had two elves on the cover, a chapter on magic, and a map of a Seattle on the inside cover. Seattle, five years before Starbucks and Kurt Cobain put it on the map, a city as fantasic for me as Lankhmar or Minas Tirth.

Shadowrun has changed a lot over the years, as our real world has changed so has the Sixth World. New editions, new technology, a better understanding of how players interact with roleplaying games, and even a better understanding of how those games interact with us. I love Shadowrun Fourth Edition and the world of 2072... But, all these years latter, I still have that old copy of the original Shadowrun. On that eternal cover, Dodger is still cracking the Ice, Ghost's twin Uzis are still covering their escape down the alley, and Sally Tsung is still preparing to weave her spell... and I still want to join them.

Mod Edit: Fixed Formatting
« Last Edit: <04-03-12/1216:38> by FastJack »
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

mortonstromgal

• Newb
« Reply #101 on: <04-05-12/1530:53> »
The 1st edition Street Samurai Catalog at the B Dalton Book store, it looked to cool not to buy. I didn't really know anything about RPGs at the time. I had played D&D a couple times, but fantasy wasn't really my thing. I prefered sci-fi and I didn't know there were other roleplaying games. Heck I probably didn't even know the term roleplaying game.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #102 on: <04-06-12/1222:40> »
The Genesis game first introduced me. Shortly after that I was talking to the friend about it and they told me it was an pnp game and got me hooked on the real thing.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #103 on: <04-08-12/0148:27> »
Ajax, +1 to you for conveying exactly how I hope all roleplayers feel about their favorite game, in that almost surreal way

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #104 on: <04-18-12/0001:13> »
Sega Genesis game when I was 11, the Shadowrun novel "Never Deal With a Dragon" when I was 12, and that same year, I got into a table-top game of Shadowrun 2nd Edition. I played an Elven Decker, of course...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."