NEWS

Women in Front Line Combat Roles in the Australian Defence Force

• 65 Replies

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #30 on: <10-02-11/0609:28> »
That's be pretty bad considering Arc is the name of his technomancer character.

:o

May Ghost have mercy on his soul...

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <10-02-11/0616:16> »

Yeah I'm on my phone and it glitched.  If you look your quote has something added to it.  It attributed what I said to you.

My response to what you had said was, that they don't always test upon entry.  It could be up to 10 years before someone realizes something isn't right.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-02-11/0622:34> »

Yeah I'm on my phone and it glitched.  If you look your quote has something added to it.  It attributed what I said to you.

My response to what you had said was, that they don't always test upon entry.  It could be up to 10 years before someone realizes something isn't right.

Ahhhh - now I see.

Well, that's probably something that should be looked into - upon application to the ADF, after Basic, and before Deployment into a Combat Zone - assuming that the ADF doesn't screen like that or better.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #33 on: <10-02-11/0657:11> »
The only thing I hate worse than strapping down a woman in the ER or mental floor, is having to strap down an elderly person who is confused because of alzheimers or dementia.  It always makes me feel like a bully.  I hate that feeling.

Not to get too off topic, but, that's one of the reasons I left EMS service and focused on Law Enforcement. Gang-bangers, accidents, general blood and guts I could handle. But going into some of the worst nursing homes in my area took more out of me than any crime scene. It was like you could feel your soul being sucked out of you and the despair was palpable.

But back on topic....

Crazy? Last thing I would want is someone truly crazy fighting next to me. Someone who is able to go above and beyond some of the normal stuff we would do to protect their people and take some chances, which we would perhaps later CALL crazy, perhaps. I have seen true crazy with a weapon, and its the last person I would want to rely on, man or woman.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <10-02-11/0705:24> »
The only thing I hate worse than strapping down a woman in the ER or mental floor, is having to strap down an elderly person who is confused because of alzheimers or dementia.  It always makes me feel like a bully.  I hate that feeling.

Not to get too off topic, but, that's one of the reasons I left EMS service and focused on Law Enforcement. Gang-bangers, accidents, general blood and guts I could handle. But going into some of the worst nursing homes in my area took more out of me than any crime scene. It was like you could feel your soul being sucked out of you and the despair was palpable.

But back on topic....

Crazy? Last thing I would want is someone truly crazy fighting next to me. Someone who is able to go above and beyond some of the normal stuff we would do to protect their people and take some chances, which we would perhaps later CALL crazy, perhaps. I have seen true crazy with a weapon, and its the last person I would want to rely on, man or woman.

Yeah the last thing you want is to find out that your battle buddy fell asleep leaving "Harvey" in charge of watching our backs.
Living the Electronic Dream

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #35 on: <10-02-11/1100:34> »
Hey, Harvey eats a lot of carrots.  He's got good night vision!  And he's a big mother, too.  No one is going to mess with Harvey!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <10-02-11/1714:37> »
Hey, Harvey eats a lot of carrots.  He's got good night vision!  And he's a big mother, too.  No one is going to mess with Harvey!

Doesn't he have a brother named Frank, too? ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #37 on: <10-02-11/1722:33> »
Back to hot chicks with guns.

I mean women in the military.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #38 on: <10-02-11/1833:34> »

Which is longhand for hot chicks with guns. Even if they aren't hot without the guns, the guns make 'em hot XD

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #39 on: <10-02-11/1930:03> »

Which is longhand for hot chicks with guns. Even if they aren't hot without the guns, the guns make 'em hot XD
Be very careful, gents. This isn't a boys only forum (even if it smells like it at times) and I'd rather not chase away the few cool women we have around here.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <10-02-11/2103:46> »
Gents?  ...  Must be referring to Mason.  :P

But, yes, FastJack is right.  So, in the interest of keeping things even, I suggest Oiled-Up Beefcake with Guns as well!

EDIT:  And with DADT gone from the US, this helps every member of the population!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #41 on: <10-02-11/2200:35> »
*grimaces in horror at mental image.*

Whenever I hear/read the word beefcake, I always visualize Cartman from South Park. You just mentall scarred me for life!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #42 on: <10-02-11/2223:31> »
IF I SUFFER, EVERYBODY SUFFERS!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <10-03-11/0401:32> »
IF I SUFFER, EVERYBODY SUFFERS!!!

I've had worse...

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <10-03-11/1619:24> »
What I'd like to see them to do is change the PT test to something more relevant/useful -- but make it equally difficult for both. Part of the reason for the (US) disparity is that the tested items are biased toward male structure.

For a grunt, you need to able to sprint repetitively with a load. You need to be able to do an extremely long march with a load. And you need to not be a heart attack waiting to happen.

Three tests: two physical, one physiological (in three parts).
Physiological test 1a. Blood pressure.
Physical test one: with 20 pound ruck/vest load plus rifle and helmet, from prone position get up, sprint 10 meters, drop to prone. Repeat ten times within determined period of time.
Physiological test 1b. Blood pressure, timed to determine when pressure returns to 1a plus 5%.
Physical test two: With 40 pound ruck/vest load plus rifle and helmet, 5 miles within predetermined period of time.
Physiological test 1c. See test 1b.

Physiological tests: resting blood pressure cannot be above (limit to be determined). blood pressure must drop to level in acceptable time.

Fitness and basic requirements. Just my two cents.