NEWS

Missions Season 5 FAQ Update (And "Starter FAQ")

• 45 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #15 on: <07-13-13/2223:31> »

Not in the forums as much as I used to be for a variety of reasons.   :'(
:'(
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Ricochet

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <07-14-13/0919:41> »
Not in the forums as much as I used to be for a variety of reasons.   :'(

If those reasons are mostly writing us cool stuff, then we can't be too sad.

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <07-14-13/1254:32> »
Yes.  Just be careful.  Drugs are bad for you :)

Insert obligatory "Drugs are good for me!" image.
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <07-14-13/1630:56> »
Yes.  Just be careful.  Drugs are bad for you :)
Insert obligatory "Drugs are good for me!" image.
You mean this one?  ;D

Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-14-13/2300:30> »
Any idea if martial arts will be Shadowrun Missions legal this time around (once the rules for them are released, that is)?

Also, what about 'crafting' skills such as enchanting? In Season 4, if I remember correctly, such skills were not allowed.

Ricochet

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-15-13/0032:54> »
Any idea if martial arts will be Shadowrun Missions legal this time around (once the rules for them are released, that is)?

Also, what about 'crafting' skills such as enchanting? In Season 4, if I remember correctly, such skills were not allowed.

Unless they get a complete revamp this time around, they absolutely won't be.  There was no downside to them in the previous edition.

Not sure on enchanting.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #21 on: <07-15-13/0201:56> »
It will depend heavily on how Martial Arts works.  If there's not a high enough cost, or worse if they're obviously broken (both serious flaws with SR4's system), we won't use them.  SR4's were basically "Hey, free extra stuff!" and worse, there were two or three things you could take which were obviously far, far superior to all others.  It was a heavily imbalanced system,  PLus, the whole Gun Kata thing was amazing amounts of crap :)

As for Enchanting, as far as creating foci and stuff?  No.  Basically, all "ground up creation" stuff is off the table.  Basically, anything that lets you get something for cheap/free is out, simply for balance sake.  WIth the way Downtime works, it wouldn't be fair to every player (and creation skills would quickly become "must haves").

Bull

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-15-13/0202:51> »
As a note though, Preperations are ok.  So Enchanting has some use in SR5.  You just won't be able to make your own orichalcum or foci :)

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-15-13/0236:58> »
As a note though, Preperations are ok.  So Enchanting has some use in SR5.  You just won't be able to make your own orichalcum or foci :)

Preparations was what I was wondering about primarily, and thanks for the reply! What about magical lodges/circles of power? Do we need to get those for SRM characters?

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <07-15-13/0905:44> »
PLus, the whole Gun Kata thing was amazing amounts of crap :)

Christian Bale in Equilibrium would like to have words with you.

...Shit, I just added to your argument.

Please, please tell us Emotitoys are dead forever. Please? At least for Missions?
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-15-13/1338:32> »
I expect EMotitoys will be hit with the nerf bat and rebalanced, if they return at all in SR5.  Right now they're not in the game, so not an issue :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <07-19-13/1321:44> »
Question: Some of the Sample characters are somewhat incorrect when it comes to karma, availability violations (rating 5 fake sins), and nuyen, likely due to cyberware/bioware pricechanges and other rulethingies. For example, according to ZeConster the Street Samurai is valued at 672k in gear. How does playing with Sample Characters work in cases where their math is wrong?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #27 on: <07-19-13/1408:29> »
I expect EMotitoys will be hit with the nerf bat and rebalanced, if they return at all in SR5.  Right now they're not in the game, so not an issue :)
I just had a great mental image of G-Men and DemiGODs walking up to people with Emotitoys and putting a bullet through the toy's CPU.

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <07-20-13/0737:36> »
Not rules related, but how soon would a group have to start playing Season 5 to be involved in the living campaign part of it?

My group is currently plodding along quite happily at the early stages of Season 4, so we're obviously too late to affect anything with what we do on that. A couple of us are quite keen on getting in on 5,  but we also want to continue with the great fun that is 4 and get our money's worth out of SR4. We can't do both so I'd just like to have an idea of how soon we'd have to shelve Season 4 if we do want to do the live version of Season 5.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #29 on: <07-20-13/0817:18> »
Not rules related, but how soon would a group have to start playing Season 5 to be involved in the living campaign part of it?

My group is currently plodding along quite happily at the early stages of Season 4, so we're obviously too late to affect anything with what we do on that. A couple of us are quite keen on getting in on 5,  but we also want to continue with the great fun that is 4 and get our money's worth out of SR4. We can't do both so I'd just like to have an idea of how soon we'd have to shelve Season 4 if we do want to do the live version of Season 5.

You'll only see Season 5 (SR5) events at conventions and most organized play sessions, but that isn't an issue for your home table.  If you're planning to play at conventions, your Season 4 characters won't work--Season 5 requires a character reboot, so everyone starts with starting characters and only the SR5 core book.  All the Season 5 SRMs should be released for sale eventually (I imagine some of the CMPs as well).

Actually, you could just play both--you'd be using separate characters anyway.  Play Season 4 at home and Season 5 at cons.  There shouldn't be too many spoilers of the Season 4 arc in the Season 5 arc, because they're in different cities with (almost) all new NPCs.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)