NEWS

What really happened.....? (Or, the official-unofficial drek)

• 95 Replies

netviking

• Newb
« on: <09-09-10/0027:33> »
I've been a little curious as to what really happened to Captain Chaos that FastJack alluded to in SR4 Corebook?
"I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque." - Bugs Bunny

Elseabea

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-10/0030:00> »
I've been a little curious as to what really happened to Captain Chaos that FastJack alluded to in SR4 Corebook?

Emerged (I think that is right) had him trapped in the Net or killed in Crash 2.0. Killed I think.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-10/0034:09> »
In Emergence, there's a story that shows that when the Jormungand virus hit the Denver Data Haven, it wiped the encryption from the JackBNimble program that Dunkelzahn had willed to him. The program then 'saved' Cap's consciousness to the memory in his deck, but was unclear if he was still there or not.

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-10/0038:57> »
It starts when "Big D" leaves Captain Chaos an file called JackBNimble in his will saying that he isn't sure what it does, but he is sure that  Cap can crack the code.
Well he never does, and then the events from "System Failure" take place and Captain Chaos goes "down with his ship" (referring to Shadowland) and dies as many also die when the matrix gets shut down due to a massive virus called Jormungand. Fastjack has an epic picture of him facing in in his sig. Anyways the virus shredded the encryption that JackBNimble was protected with and "saved" Captain Chaos. Is he alive? A file? No official reports yet. But I'm holding out hope that he remains with us, in some form anyways.

-Dodger
"I am no paladin. I never will be. I
refuse to be twisted to serve any person's will."
-Dodger
-Choose Your Enemies Carefully-

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-10/0040:18> »
Apologies, Sir Jack, you are indeed fast.

-Dodger
-Dodger

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-10/0046:14> »
I found a short story that was written by Robert Derie, it tells the story of Captains memorial service. I can't seem to find it at the moment, but I believe it was called "The Untethered Life. I think I found it on the DS forums. I'll see if I can find the link.

-Dodger
-Dodger

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-09-10/0058:54> »
As I understand it, JackBNimble didn't save Cap to his deck, but to a storage place somewhere... along with a LOT of others. Cap was the only one conscious, though.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-09-10/0106:49> »
You are correct. JackBNimble said it had to leave as there were others to be saved. Then for Captain Chaos, there was nothing. No matrix, no grid, no cyberspace, just the empty blackness of data storage. - from System Failure

-Dodger
-Dodger

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #8 on: <09-09-10/0131:50> »
It ends with something said like the file is not fully intact and asks if it should save Y/N and nothing after that
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <09-09-10/0233:06> »
The query is "Delete file Y/N"... and yeah, they leave us in the dark if its Y or N... oh the cruelty :(
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-09-10/0503:20> »
Isn't there some reference in Runner Havens to him being some kind of Emerged bodhissatva somewhere?
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <09-09-10/0832:19> »
AH did have a un official story which I am very fond of which has the good Cap come back as Kaos with the impression of being a E Ghost or somethign of the like.

Granted its unofficial and cant be used in the books but I did like it very much
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

netviking

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-09-10/0849:19> »
Its good to see that  the Captain still has fans....  I just hope that he's still with us......

Hopefully, he is still in datastorage or an E-ghost.   Now my next question is is what is the impact of E-ghosts in the wake of the emergence of A.I.s as sapient beings?
"I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque." - Bugs Bunny

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <09-09-10/1014:37> »
There's two possibilities regarding Cap:

1) In Unwired, p 164, it's mentioned that Cap's been spotted in a DIMR (Dunkelzahn's Institute for Magical Research) Matrix node. This makes sense, since if he got out of JackBNimble's memory space, he'd head there to a) ask for help and b) help with their Matrix.

2) In Runner's Havens, p 28, The Whampoa in Kowloon City are said to be led by someone named "The Captain", who no one has ever seen in person. Now, the Whampoa is also said to have the largest number of Technomancers in Hong Kong, and if Cap is back, I'm sure his abilities are more in line with a TM than an ordinary Hacker anymore.

What's true? Whatever you want, omae. Me? I like to believe it's both. He's working with the DIMR to figure out how he came to be how he is AND he heads up a tribe of Hackers/Technomancers in Hong Kong, fighting the good fight and training the next generation.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #14 on: <09-09-10/1806:09> »
Well seeing as in theory they buried him should he come back he should be an AI AND one of at the least some power.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/