NEWS

Books to help RPG player's

• 29 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #15 on: <03-06-13/0822:46> »
This book should give you some low tech idea's on how to get a shadowrun mission done.
Low Tech Hacking: Street Smarts for Security Professionals

Criminals using hacking techniques can cost corporations, governments, and individuals millions of dollars each year. While the media focuses on the grand-scale attacks that have been planned for months and executed by teams and countries, there are thousands more that aren't broadcast. Low Tech Hacking focuses on the everyday hacks that, while simple in nature, actually add up to the most significant losses. Attackers are using common techniques like social engineering, wireless hacking, and targeting and surveillance to gain access to valuable data. This book contains detailed descriptions of potential threats and vulnerabilities, many of which the majority of the information systems world may be unaware. Author Jack Wiles spent many years as an inside penetration testing team leader, proving these threats and vulnerabilities exist and their countermeasures work. His contributing authors are among the best in the world in their respective areas of expertise.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #16 on: <03-06-13/0855:24> »
This book should give you some idea's how to role play survival rather then jut doing a roll. So you can Have that person playing a homeless character who knows how to survive out there. Might have to upgrade some of the tactics when messing with devil rats lol

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #17 on: <04-24-13/2229:55> »
Now why are the books by the real world's version of FastJack (or maybe Slamm-O!, YMMV) not listed here yet?

For a brief primer into hacking (both hardware and software):

The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders and Deceivers   by Kevin Mitnick

More from the same, this time regarding social engineering (that is, what the Face does if (s)he's any good).

The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security, also by Kevin Mitnick

I have both signed. :D

The last one describes how he spent several years on the run, dodging the FBI. Includes establishing one's identity from the scratch. Utility for Shadowrun is obvious.

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker, by the same awesome guy.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #18 on: <04-24-13/2235:03> »
Also, here's the guy's business card.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <04-24-13/2355:18> »
Also, here's the guy's business card.
I want to raid a bin of his cards, BTW.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #20 on: <04-26-13/0948:25> »
You can get them on his site.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <04-26-13/1206:03> »
You can get them on his site.
In Bulk?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #22 on: <05-30-13/1120:36> »
This is a great book to help you get an Idea of how bad things can go in a shadowrunners life

Fiasco Role Playing Game

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #23 on: <07-04-13/0943:43> »
This book should teach your players how to do cons in game. Maybe even think up a few more and not just roll dice but role play out how the con is going.

How to Cheat at Everything: A Con Man Reveals the Secrets of the Esoteric Trade of Cheating, Scams, and Hustles
From magician and reformed con-man Lovell comes this seemingly comprehensive guide to cheating with props, cards, numbers, coins, telephones, sleight of hand, dice, and more. The book is written with an impish grin (hey, we all know you wouldn't do this stuff, but here's how to do it, just hypothetically) and features dozens of hustles that anyone can perform, with a little practice. Most depend on a simple trick--when you bet that a tossed paper match will land on its edge, the trick is to bend the match in the middle first--but there are some that depend on elegance of execution, or on selling the mark a story (like "work at home" schemes or e-mails offering to enhance parts of the anatomy). For those who are willing to accept the larcenous premise, this is a thoroughly fascinating and even charming book, chock-full of fun and adventure. David Pitt

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #24 on: <11-21-13/2311:54> »
Some interesting books I believe will help players figure out better ways to avoid being watched.

Surveillance Countermeasures: A Serious Guide To Detecting, Evading, And Eluding Threats To Personal Privacy
Learn to detect and evade surveillance efforts that threaten your personal security. These time-tested tactics of observation, detection and evasion are proven effective against the most sophisticated surveillance techniques used in the world.

Countering Hostile Surveillance: Detect, Evade, and Neutralize Physical Surveillance Threats
From the author of the highly regarded training manuals Secrets of Surveillance and Surveillance Countermeasures comes the next course in identifying and evading hostile surveillance in the real world.

Every day in all parts of the world, hostile surveillance forces are stalking and exploiting unwitting prey -- be they private citizens, corporate employees or national security agents. This book demonstrates how the intended prey can detect, evade and, if necessary, turn the tables and assume the role of the predator to neutralize this threat.

This is not a book on evading garden-variety physical surveillance. Instead, this important manual provides the security professional with the tools he needs to operate at a master's level in the field of surveillance countermeasures. In step-by-step detail, it explains concepts, techniques and procedures that have been proven effective against the spectrum of surveillance capabilities ranging from the very basic to the world's most sophisticated. Security professionals who want to be on top of their game, as well as private citizens seeking to protect themselves and their families, need the street-tested information in this book.

Secrets Of Surveillance: A Professional's Guide To Tailing Subjects By Vehicle, Foot, Airplane, And Public Transportation
Pros know that the real secret of surveillance lies in the skill of the operators, not in high-tech gadgets. This book is for the true practitioners of the craft. It focuses on tactics that can only be learned from stalking the streets and standing in the shadows.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #25 on: <11-21-13/2314:04> »
Great book that will give players an idea of how to steal things.

The Gardner Heist: The True Story of the World's Largest Unsolved Art Theft
Shortly after midnight on March 18, 1990, two men broke into the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston and committed the largest art heist in history. They stole a dozen masterpieces, including one Vermeer, three Rembrandts, and five Degas. But after thousands of leads—and a $5 million reward—none of the paintings have been recovered. Worth as much as $500 million, the missing masterpieces have become one of the nation's most extraordinary unsolved mysteries.

After the death of famed art detective Harold Smith, reporter Ulrich Boser decided to take up the case. Exploring Smith's unfinished leads, Boser travels deep into the art underworld and comes across a remarkable cast of characters, including a brilliant rock 'n' roll thief, a gangster who professes his innocence in rhyming verse, and the enigmatic late Boston heiress Isabella Stewart Gardner herself. Boser becomes increasingly obsessed with the case and eventually uncovers startling new evidence about the identities of the thieves. A tale of art and greed, of obsession and loss, The Gardner Heist is as compelling as the stolen masterpieces themselves.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <04-05-16/1749:40> »
Is fiction fair game? High Aztech gives a look at Tenochtitlan in a wild Spanish/Nahuatl slang driven ride.

Nightshadow70

• Newb
  • Female Gamer and RPG Nerd
« Reply #28 on: <09-15-20/0453:49> »
Thanks for the reading lists  ;D Now I'm ready for the cold winter months :P

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <01-31-21/0926:39> »
I lost my copy of Howdunit Forensics years ago, but it was super useful. May have to grab another copy if I can find it available from a place that isn't Amazon.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.