NEWS

What would you play if you can't play Shadowrun?

• 76 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <01-24-12/2255:28> »
Hell, I'd love to PLAY Shadowrun. From junior high until now, the only people who would run a game besides me (with one or two one night exceptions) generally handed out 50+ karma per session,  mullions of nuyen, and ran their existing characters as NPCs (to keep us actual PCs on track...).

Outside of SR, I run/play Pathfinder, would love to play Earthdawn, Fading Suns, Starwars (by the way, starwars was not ment to be played with a d20 in my opinion).

I pretty much swore not to touch the WEG Star Wars system the moment I had someone who played it tell me that if your character gets a prosthetic limb, you get a Dark Side Point every time you used a Force power (which I think is complete bulldrek).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <01-25-12/0029:24> »
I pretty much swore not to touch the WEG Star Wars system the moment I had someone who played it tell me that if your character gets a prosthetic limb, you get a Dark Side Point every time you used a Force power (which I think is complete bulldrek).
Yep, it is.

When you try to use a Force Point (Which every character can get.  Jedi just can get a larger number than regular folk), for every major cybernetic system you have (Limb, major organ, etc.), it has a 1-in-6 chance of not working.  Period.  That's it.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <01-25-12/0044:12> »
Yep, it is.

When you try to use a Force Point (Which every character can get.  Jedi just can get a larger number than regular folk), for every major cybernetic system you have (Limb, major organ, etc.), it has a 1-in-6 chance of not working.  Period.  That's it.

Even that should not be the case, but I can see too much potential for abuse by poor GMs. All they'd have to do is 'arrange' for your character to lose a couple limbs and BAM you're screwed out of that resource.

FraustyTheSnowman

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <01-25-12/0046:17> »
It's far from a perfect system, and the implant/darkside point thing was an issue that was houseruled in my group, but I still like it...mostlyor the setting books.

Cthulutech, completely spaced that. I don't have the books nor have I ever played it, but I would give someone elses kidney to have the chance.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <01-25-12/0046:47> »
Yep, it is.

Even that should not be the case, but I can see too much potential for abuse by poor GMs. All they'd have to do is 'arrange' for your character to lose a couple limbs and BAM you're screwed out of that resource.
That was the official rules on it, and that was to prevent someone cybering up for the bonuses.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <01-25-12/0049:38> »
Yep, it is.

That was the official rules on it, and that was to prevent someone cybering up for the bonuses.

In the two d20 systems, there was a penalty, but it wasn't completely crippling like that is. Believe it was like a -2 to Force-based skill checks for each implant.  Enough penalty to exact a price, but not so bad that it could completely hose a character.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #36 on: <01-25-12/0056:00> »
We only had one guy in our group who ended up with a cyberleg, and it never was an issue.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #37 on: <01-25-12/0449:17> »

Well, heaven forbid that someone should use technology to compete directly against "The Force" and its mystic power. That could never happen.

Oh, wait... we do it all the time here in Shadowrun. ;D
« Last Edit: <01-25-12/0450:51> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <01-25-12/1144:55> »
Well, cybernetics wasn't supposed to be a MAJOR part of Star Wars, just as aside due to the number of Glowy Sticks Of Death that get used and thus the loss of a limb is going to happen every now and then.

So there was a rule to allow replacement ones, but at a cost.  And, thus, you don't fight Jedi with a blaster.

You fight them with many blasters.  And laser cannons.  Orbital bombardment is the best suggestion.

That said, our group was old and experienced enough that we DID defeat a Force User with a blaster once.  Thing is, it was our Jedi buddy that was slowly going insane due to a Sith artifact that was embedded in his skin.  We set for stun, and just kept him asleep for the rest of the trip.  "If he moves, shoot him again."  "OK."  "On stun, Crunch, STUN."  "That the blue one on the switch, right?"  "Yes Crunch.  The one you never use."  "OK.  I use it now.  If I can move switch, it seem stuck."  "Yeah, I get that too."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #39 on: <01-25-12/1535:11> »
You fight them with many blasters.  And laser cannons.  Orbital bombardment is the best suggestion.
Just remember, that might not work either.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <01-25-12/1736:36> »
Just remember, that might not work either.
That captain was as clumsy as he was stupid.  An Imperial-Class Star Destroyer is not designed to fly that close to a planetary surface.  They can't handle atmospheric conditions.

That's why the Empire still has Victory-Class Star Destroyers from the end of the Clone Wars, which finally replaced the Acclamator-Class Assault Ships, although those are still used in the backwater or backwater systems.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #41 on: <01-26-12/0111:52> »
My little Bimm character from the 'official' Star Wars d20 campaign technically had the skill levels in telekinesis to pull a Star Destroyer out of orbit if he really wanted to. That's if he wasn't a pacifist, of course.

It's amazing what you can accomplish if you put almost no effort into improving combat skills and instead pour all your points into TK, social abilities and illusion-casting. The character had 10 classes by 11th level and a base attack bonus of 1. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his lightsaber. He once accidentally knocked himself into unconsciousness with his own stun baton. But oh my god were his social and Force skills off the charts.

I optimize differently. :)

-k

« Last Edit: <01-26-12/0114:51> by KarmaInferno »

MisterJohnson

• Newb
  • 26 minutes from now...
« Reply #42 on: <01-26-12/0115:39> »
Not to turn this thread into a Star Wars RPG thread, but...

I played (and wrote for, play-tested and ran convention campaigns for) West End Games' Star Wars d6 game.  I really enjoyed it.  I was wondering if there is anyone here who played both the WEG and the WotC versions - and their thoughts.

Just curious...
Mr. Johnson  |  ContactMrJohnson.com
>>> [ Here's two-Nuyen of advice, chummer;  Never cross the NodeDragon ] <<<
GPA/P sr4++++ sw+++++

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #43 on: <01-26-12/0222:31> »
I've played both, preferred D6.  Some of my group preferred D20 Saga.  The D20 plain was just a dog of a game.  But I tend to have issues with Class-Based systems.

Moving this on, Airship Pirates!  Yarr!  I gotta order the book that explains just how the universe happened.

Yes, it's an RPG based off the works of a Goth/Steampunk Music Band that puts the PUNK in Steampunk.  Seriously, there's a picture of a 12' tall bird eating a baby in the main rulebook!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

MisterJohnson

• Newb
  • 26 minutes from now...
« Reply #44 on: <01-26-12/0348:55> »
I've played both, preferred D6.  Some of my group preferred D20 Saga.  The D20 plain was just a dog of a game.  But I tend to have issues with Class-Based systems.

Moving this on, Airship Pirates!  Yarr!  I gotta order the book that explains just how the universe happened.

Yes, it's an RPG based off the works of a Goth/Steampunk Music Band that puts the PUNK in Steampunk.  Seriously, there's a picture of a 12' tall bird eating a baby in the main rulebook!

Have you seen the novel by Captain Robert Brown?     http://amzn.to/x9Tu17
...and I bet there's more news about this world coming soon...  *giddy*
Mr. Johnson  |  ContactMrJohnson.com
>>> [ Here's two-Nuyen of advice, chummer;  Never cross the NodeDragon ] <<<
GPA/P sr4++++ sw+++++