NEWS

Data Trails - When it will be Missions Legal

• 19 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <05-27-15/0610:24> »
Answering this question before anyone else asks, and the answer is the same as always:  30 days from Print Street Date.

Which means it will not be legal for Origins next week. 

I don't know if CGL is planning to have any print copies at Origins for sale (I imagine they would like to, and *if* they can get any there, they will be a batch specially rush-ordered specifically for the con), but either way I cannot say whether it will be Missions Legal for Gen Con until CGL announces a Street Date.  IF there are copies at Origins and IF the announced street date for Data Trails is within a couple weeks of Gen Con, I may allow it at Gen Con, but that's a very big if, and no one is allowed to ask me about it between now and then.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-27-15/1352:03> »
...and no one is allowed to ask me about it between now and then.

When will then be now?
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-27-15/1424:38> »
...and no one is allowed to ask me about it between now and then.

When will then be now?
Soon.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <05-27-15/1628:26> »
I hate you guys so very, very much...

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <05-27-15/2023:22> »
Honestly the one thing I was really hoping data trail would do, was make Techno's playable, and nothing on the list of stuff that has been discussed even made it into the book. I'll agree it certainly helps deckers plenty, and the examples are nice and all, as are the new reality stuff, but honestly I'm just left scratching my head. Do the designers even consider feed back? 

« Last Edit: <05-28-15/0122:17> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-27-15/2029:33> »
The biggest thing there is Skinlink, an echo so overwhelmingly useful it damned near should have been made a benefit of your first Submersion. Why? because it allows TMs to finally do what Deckers have been able to from core, bypass Host firewalls.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-27-15/2054:01> »
Ona non-bitching note... three words.

Deep Run Mission.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-27-15/2302:46> »
I hate you guys so very, very much...

I know.

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-29-15/0232:30> »
I believe the biggest and most important Technomancer buff is the quality to get +2 to fading resist and skinlink.

Pollution

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-29-15/0928:53> »
I believe the biggest and most important Technomancer buff is the quality to get +2 to fading resist and skinlink.

The former Otaku one?

I actually have issue with the Otaku to Technmancer stuff.  Not because it's bad, but because there's a GLARING omission.

Otaku had DataJacks.  So, if you wanted to do an Otaku to Technomancer character (I did my first character as one), then you're missing the prereq that they need to have a DataJack.

unless you're going with "they removed it at some point and the essence hole healed" which I hate the idea of.  Better to do the DataJack, and add some other neat stuff and take the 1 point Resonance hit.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-29-15/1950:25> »

The former Otaku one?

I actually have issue with the Otaku to Technmancer stuff.  Not because it's bad, but because there's a GLARING omission.

Otaku had DataJacks.  So, if you wanted to do an Otaku to Technomancer character (I did my first character as one), then you're missing the prereq that they need to have a DataJack.

unless you're going with "they removed it at some point and the essence hole healed" which I hate the idea of.  Better to do the DataJack, and add some other neat stuff and take the 1 point Resonance hit.

Seems perfectly fair enough to me... heck in Lockdown there's a couple of Cyber Suits that cost 1 essence that come with a datajack, along with an implanted comlink thus dodging the whole "How do I comcall a technomancer's brain?" issue.

Continuing that line of thought, sacrificing 2 points of Resonance for Mental Gymnasts suit opens some interesting  options for a Technomamcer, particularly those rating 4 Skilljack and Skillwires. They do go somewhere to counter the issue of the level of skill investment TMs require
« Last Edit: <05-29-15/2009:33> by ScytheKnight »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #11 on: <07-01-15/0352:17> »
Listening to the Critical Glitch podcast and there was an announcement by Sinthalix (Ray) that Data Trails would be legal as of the first day of GenCon, July 30th 2015.

Just waiting for the official notice now!
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-01-15/0726:15> »
The SRM FAQ Committee is in the process of reviewing it and will have their proposals to me over the next couple of weeks.  Thereafter, proposals will be reviewed and once approved, it will be posted.  30 days is the first day of GenCon, but we're going to push to have it complete prior to that.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <07-26-15/0924:18> »
Now that it is the Sunday before GenCon, I have to ask...

Will we be seeing a Missions FAQ update before we arrive at the convention.

I ask as a GM that will be running character creation sessions; It would be nice to familiarize myself with the update before I'm trying to help other people figure it out.  Plus it will be nice to know what is legal from Data Trails rather than tell people "you can take what you want, but the FAQ may invalidate it once it's released"
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #14 on: <07-26-15/1330:00> »
You should only be using the core book at the Into the Shadows events.  You don't have time (and the CDT doesn't carry enough books) to use anything more for a 2-hour chargen event.

But I imagine at this point it's too late to get a new FAQ that can be enforced at Gen Con.  Too many of us have too much prep to do on other fronts to get ready for the con.  And I imagine few players will have time with this short notice to adjust characters for stuff that got changed in a new FAQ 4 days (or less) before the con.  As a GM, I probably won't have time to do much with it, let alone enforce it at Gen Con, even if it came out in the next 5 minutes.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)