NEWS

/dev/grrl What information is around about her?

• 54 Replies

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« on: <05-05-12/1537:49> »
She seems intriguing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #1 on: <05-05-12/1559:51> »
I agree, it's kinda scattered around in the books but from what I've gathered 16ish year old elf, NeoNet citizen, damn fine hacker, seems to have some kind of relationship with Pistons, and Kane has taken her under his wing.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #2 on: <05-05-12/1601:41> »
I agree, it's kinda scattered around in the books but from what I've gathered 16ish year old elf, NeoNet citizen, damn fine hacker, seems to have some kind of relationship with Pistons, and Kane has taken her under his wing.

Does she run in the shadows?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Morg

« Reply #3 on: <05-05-12/1606:18> »
Does she run in the shadows?
Kane seems to think so

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #4 on: <05-05-12/1609:10> »
On a part time basis is the impression I get. She still goes to school, however, she's helped Pistons cut cyberware out of people and she tracked down Kane in SLS. There are other examples but those are the big ones I remember.
la vida no vale nada

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-05-12/1759:10> »
Yes, she does. She's the elven hacker in the short fiction piece at the beginning of the The Matrix User chapter of Unwired (page 32).

And last I checked she's 17.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #6 on: <05-05-12/1812:27> »
If any freelancer or dev can answer this I've been curious about who came up with /dev/grrl? Was it someone's character or did she just get created for the books?
la vida no vale nada

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-05-12/1922:02> »
It's a long story.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #8 on: <05-05-12/1957:14> »
/dev/grrl's origins are lost to time (Or is due to someone who didn't fill me in on what's going on.).  She filled a role of a naive but highly skilled girl with only a corporate education who could go, "What do you mean Otaku/Dues/Whatever else" and the rest of the JackPointers could expound about the backstory of Shadowrun for the new folks coming in.

This, combined with being exceptionally girly-girl (Her Matrix avatar is a unicorn, for example) lead to her being known as "/derp/grrl" by the fan community.  Which made some freelancers want to beef her up and give her a bit of an edge.  I threatened to give her some really rough edges back before I was a Freelancer, but was told to play nice.

As they pay me now, I have to.  They don't pay me to play nice on the forums, however, which is why my signal/noise ratio sucks so badly.  Welcome to the signal part.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #9 on: <05-05-12/2122:58> »
It's a long story.

I have nothing but time. Kinda a sad thing to say but it's the truth.
la vida no vale nada

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <05-05-12/2327:18> »
I have nothing but time. Kinda a sad thing to say but it's the truth.
Yeah, try how much time I have.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #11 on: <05-06-12/0016:49> »
I will win that battle. Besides 4 hours of (if I'm lucky of) sleep I have nothing but.
la vida no vale nada

SpiderWord

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-06-12/0529:53> »
/dev/grrl reminds a char described in the short story "Ca Plus Change". I refer to the target of an extraction made by a group of Shadowrunners. She really like this target: young, matrix expert and with corp parents but the story was settled before the 70s.
"Where's the Dragon?" *Stomped*

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-07-12/0006:57> »
Not here for the longlong ago, BUT, essentially, you need somebody to be the "Huh what?" position, so that you can have exposition now an dthen for thing sthat the characters should know but the players don't. The highest-paid Urban Brawler that gets on all the advertising and is dating that supermodel Elf? Yeah, *everybody* knows who he is, but if you just say "Jefferey Biggens" in the story and don't flush it out, it falls flat. So somebody gets to say "Jeffery Biggens, who's that?" and then you drop detail.

Unfortunately, there are two problems. First, Jackpoint is supposed to be an elite bunch of people hand-picked by Fastjack to gather at his private Matrix location and exchange data, advice, and so on. Why the Hell did he invite this no-nothing 16 year old girl who knows shit about shit? The more realistic writers had to do some real tooth-gnashing over this. Lord knows the community as a whole has as well. :)

Second, and a point which underlines the first, is that she's always been asking and asking and asking, displaying ignorance, which stresses her not belonging even more. This is somewhere between Flanderization, where a character is reduced to a catchphrase and a cameo, and Worf Syndrome, where one person gets to be used as a punching bag so often that they lose all legitimacy.

There were discussions about how to flesh her out, how to show that she belongs, and so on, and a few ideas kicked around, but Bull stepped up and hit a home run for us, so, now, not an issue; lots of people are excited about her, now, and looking forward to where she winds up.

What kinds of info out there otherwise is that she's a teenaged (But has been around for a few years now, so isn't perma-16) Elf girl with red hair and a NeoNet corporate citizen with corp parents. She dabbles in Shadowrunning, has a team, but has recently stepped up her game and got under Kane's wing. She's also a DAMN good hacker and, like Slamm-o, has the older runners realizing that they have to pass the torch down, or at least pass on their collected wisdom.

I think that about covers it? But if you have more questions, fire away.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #14 on: <05-07-12/0029:06> »
Who'd win in a fist fight her or Turbo Bunny?
la vida no vale nada