NEWS

[StS IC] Cashing In

• 456 Replies

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« on: <05-11-15/0335:47> »
It’s a rainy day in Seattle, which comes as no surprise.  The light drizzle never seems to let up in May, an dreary accompaniment to the general mood of the city.  Mostly, it’s been quiet.  Work has been steady and generally easy, of late.  Enough to keep up with the rent, but no major payday for some time.

As the denizens of Seattle go about their day, five commlinks across the city chirp their announcement that there is a waiting message.  Hardly notable in a city where even the most destitute vagrant has a metalink, unless you consider that the source commcode belongs to a dead man.

@ Lady Marisart

>> Lady Marisart, I humbly request a meeting.  Stravinsky’s ‘The Nightingale’ plays its final show at the Seattle Opera.  Might I suggest using your influence to reserve a first tier box at the theater?  Party of six.  Mr. Aaron Johnson, Mr. Byron Kelsey, Mr. Chung-ho Lee, Ms. Delila Mason,  Ms. Elsa Nigel, and yourself. <<

@ Kumiha

>> Mr. Chung-ho Lee, I kindly request your presence at the Seattle Opera, tonight, your ticket will be at the will-call window. <<

@ Kachina Powaka

>> Ms. Elsa Nigel, I kindly request your presence at the Seattle Opera, tonight, your ticket will be at the will-call window. <<

@ Mother

>> Ms. Delila Mason, I kindly request your presence at the Seattle Opera, tonight, your ticket will be at the will-call window. <<

@ Requiem

>> Mr. Byron Kelsey, I kindly request your presence at the Seattle Opera, tonight, your ticket will be at the will-call window. <<

—————

A quick look at the public Seattle Opera host shows that the only show this Saturday night is The Nightingale, by Igor Stravinsky and that it starts at 7 pm… eight hours from now.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-11-15/1244:18> »
Requiem moved through the katas with a grace and poise that belied his age.  His wires were deactivated, after all what was the point in a demonstration if the students couldn’t witness it?  They stood in a hushed group around the outside of the main room in the dojo, trying to keep track of the iridescent green lasers that indicated where the two pistols were pointing.  Subtly notching up the speed Requiem triggered the AR sparring program and moved into a more aggressive pattern of blocks and strikes all the while evading the returning blows.  In a final burst of speed he accelerated the program whilst pushing himself to his limits until he suddenly froze in mid pirouette, apparently defying the natural laws of momentum, pistols in the final stance of the Firefight art…

Acknowledge the respect of his students, Requiem in turn bowed low to Jitan before clearing the mats for the changing rooms.  His AR had flashed the message across his vision in the final moments of the katas…a trip to the Opera?  He was intrigued…
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-11-15/1439:12> »
Lady Tanya Marisart is near the top of the extreme section of the free climbing wall at the gym when the message pings her internal commlink.  She completes the climb to the upper ledge before accessing the message.  Her heart skips a beat when she notes the comm code used.  *Lyle?  He was found dead several days earlier.  Someone must have found the green book he kept hidden.  Lots of nerve, too, to set this up at short notice.  Still, I am curious enough to at least go see what the man wants.*  She opens a comm with her maid.  <Monique, change of plans for tonight.  Just got a note to be at the Opera.  I am thinking the Nightshade so please get it out and ready.  I will be back after my run.>

After getting the acknowledgement from her maid she places a call to the Opera House.  <Maddy, that you?  Tanya Marisart here.  Say, I know it is short notice but I need a favor.  I will be at the box tonight for Nightingale and need tickets and refreshments for six.  Please have some will-call tickets sent to the door for Aaron Johnson, Byron Kelsey, Chung-ho Lee, Delila Mason, Elsa Nigel, and myself.  Please have some good champaign and light snacks in the box.  Thank you so much and I owe you one.>

After signing off, Tanya stands and grabs hold of the rope set into the wall before swinging out and free rappelling to the floor some fifty feet below.  She picks up her gear and walks to the attendant where she confirms her next appointment before heading off to the locker room.  She changes into running clothes and sets off on her morning run, using the miles to help her focus her thoughts.  She is definitely curious about the meet.  Why the opera of all places?  Lyle had been far more laid back than that, usually meeting at low class dives and restaurants.  The opera would be different to be sure.  She takes the time to open a call to her best friend, Petra Sprent.  <Hey girlfriend.  How is it going for the number one reporter in Seattle?  Say, change of plans for tonight.  I have been called for a possible job and it may run late.  Monique will have the night off so use your key to get in.  Don't wait up and keep the bed warm.  We're still on for brunch as far as I know.  Ta.>

She finishes her run back at the hotel gym and heads to the shower before dressing and going to her sub-floor three suite.  She uses the special passkey to open the door and walks into the spacious living room.  She spares a glance at the immense floor to ceiling window that looks directly into the water of the Sound then heads for the bedroom.  Monique has already laid out the evening wear for approval and the two talk shoes, evening bag, and shawl before Tanya slips into comfortable lounge wear and goes back to sit in the living room to observe the fish and reflect on Lyle Green.  He had been a regular fixer for her for almost two years before his untimely death.  A nice guy, a good lover, and a man with a lot of connections written down in his little green book.  And now someone else had that book.  She understood the Johnson moniker, and assumed that the other invitees for the evening were other contacts of Lyle's.  Monique interrupted once to say that one of the hotel limousines would be at her disposal for the evening and that it would be out front at five.  Maddy called to say that all was laid on and that Tanya did indeed owe her one for this.

Monique assists Tanya in dressing and gives the final stamp of approval on the color selection.  Tanya thanks her and wishes her a good time on her evening off.  She goes to the massive lobby just before five and notes that her favorite driver, Alphonse, is to be hers for the night.  They exchange greetings and Tanya asks about his family as he walks her outside and to the gleaming Rolls Silver Phaeton 62.   Stops for a moment, savoring that she can actually get inside the same sort of vehicle that figures so prominently in her nightmares.  She can still see the fireball that wiped out her family and hear her own screams a she watched her earlier life vaporize in front of her.  She sits back during the ride, letting Alphonse's skill take her smoothly to the Opera House.  Once there, she thanks Alphonse for the ride and tells him that he can go get something to eat and that she will comm him when she is ready to go back home.  Alphonse helps her from the car and she walks up the broad steps to the entrance.  She is early but she wants the time to make sure that all the preparations are in order.  As she enters the ornate Opera House lobby she sees several people she knows.  Apparently there are others out to see the final performance.  She nods at several acquaintances, stopping to chat for a few minutes with two of them.  Noticing Maddy standing near the front counter, Tanya excuses herself from the chat and moves toward her.  The events manager for the most prestigious opera house on the west coast smiles as she sees one of her favorite customers.  They exchange cheek busses and a hug and Maddy presents her with her ticket for the performance and tells her that all is ready. 

With all in preparation, Lady Tanya Marisart sweeps up the stairs to her first tier box and waits to see what develops.  The expertly tailored and custom fitted emerald gown looks exquisite on her frame, accentuating a bit of this and exposing just a bit of that in all the right ways to get people to notice her without appearing to be trashy.  The emeralds at her neck and ears had been her mother's and, to be honest, they looked far better on Tanya than they ever had on her mother.  Her vibrant copper hair was natural, as was her figure.  All in all, she looked amazing and completely innocuous, which was just fine for her.  She walked to her box and stood at the railing looking out over the gathering audience to see who was present and letting them see her in some time-honored tradition of elite society.
« Last Edit: <05-11-15/1809:35> by Mercy Merchant »
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-11-15/1736:08> »
Kachina would have discarded the message as Spam, if not for the sender: Lyle!?
She didn't believe in coincidence. Could it be that Lyle was still alive? It wouldn't be the first time someone fake his own death in the Shadows. Or someone was going into great length to get her attention. It could be a trap. What if the same person who killed Lyle was now looking at killing all his closer friends and contact. Kachina wasn't the closest friend he had for sure, but she knew they were able to call each other as such and that was rare enough in her field.

She definitely had to find out and had no much choice but to go to the opera tonight. She connected to her link and looked at her account and sight. There was noway she would go shopping on this... She opened her small wardrobe and looked what she had that would make her look presentable for tonight. The turquoise long dress was elegant and stylish but offered absolutely no protection. That all she had that fit for the event though, so she just had to come prepared.

She had to talk to someone though. Connected to the Matrix, she sent a message to Manny.
>>>>>"Hey, buddy. Need some info. Can you send me detailed info on the following runners: Mother, Requiem, Kumiha and Lady Tanya. Could they fit in my 'dream team'? Don't have much to offer as far as payment but I'm sure you'll soon as something to ask me. " <<<<<

She made her way to her lodge, and placed a few dried up but full leafs of a rare tree from which Mana was glowing. She relaxed while she let herself drift into the Astral Plane and call upon the power of the great Thunderbird.

Later in the day, she took a nap knowing the night would be long and prepared for the event. She was radiating in elegance.
She drove and parked nearby the Opera House, and waiting anxiously for the sun to set.

[spoiler]
F4 Improve Initiative Spell - Sustained with Focus
Improve Intuition: 17d6t5 4
Using 6 Reagent to break the limit on a Force 2 Increase Reflexes Spell - Sustained with Focused Concentration
Increase Reflexes: 17d6t5 7

She will wait for the sun to set in order to Summon a Spirit of Man F7 to act as her body guard and skill booster
Summon Spirit of Man F7: 15d6t5 2

Using Edge to Reroll
Summon Spirit of Man F7 Edge Reroll: 13d6t5 5
Spirit Resistance
Summon Spirit of Man F7 Spirit Resistance: 8d6t5 2

Drain
Summon Spirit of Man F7 Drain (4): 10d6t5 5

5 services for the night - no drain - one Edge used.
[/spoiler]

Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

Lighthouse

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-12-15/0042:33> »
Mother sat at her vanity glancing down at her commlink as if the message were a puzzle.

"I believe in spirits but they don't usually send messages to my commlink." said Mother.

Two of her friends looked in through the doorway.

"What?" asked Terr0r a short bearded female bodied orc decker in a synth leather armored jacket covered in anarchy symbols.

"Revere...does the opera allow firearms?" asked Mother.

"It is generally frowned upon." said Revere, a blonde blue eyed elf in a grey suit.

"Ter0r can you see if you can find out who sent me this message...do you think you could hack the opera host?"

"Can I leave grafiti in it?" asked Terr0r smiling.

"As long as you wait until I am out. I need to know who I am meeting with...what am I going to wear?" asked Mother absently looking through her closet.

"Definitely this..." said Mother laying out a purple backless armanté gown. "I'll be the belle of the ball." said Mother holding the dress up to her body and spinning.
« Last Edit: <05-12-15/0426:47> by Lighthouse »
"Fish gotta swim You know what I'm sayin." Omar

skulldixon

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <05-12-15/0125:09> »
Kumiho manipulates a new AR image decal of his own creation up along the side of  a small distributor in east Bellevue - something to make a the passerby stop and think (if they have two neurons to rub together). The fox mask he wears is slick with rain, a small constant drip, drip off the foxes nose is his only companion in this typical Seattle weather. As he manipulates the Graphic into the best position for maximum impact he receives a Message alert. He finishes his artistry he checks his message, hoping that he sees some good news from one of the know Bots he setup earlier to snag a data on the death of his friend. Instead, he is surprised to see a message from his now dead friend..

" Mr. Chung-ho Lee?", he says to no one. "what are you up to old friend?"

When he reaches home he sets up two browses on his deck, one to look for something to wear to the opera, at a reasonable price, and the other to find the most recent floor plans to the Opera house in case he needs to leave quickly. He's not a sucker for sure. After hearing about Green's death, who ever sent the message might have been tipped off to his investigation of the death and laid out a trap to remove him. Once he knows where the plans are he hacks into the server, makes a copy of the plans, and leaves. By the time he is done, he should have a new suit to pick up in the morning and some idea of how to get out of the opera if the need arises.

[spoiler]
Artisan: 7d6t5 1

Browse: Opera House Floor plans.: 9d6t5 5

Hacking on the Fly to gain access to Layout: 14d6t5 4

Edit File: Download/Copy: 12d6t5 5
[/spoiler]
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
Text and thought

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-12-15/0255:18> »
Tanya waves to several people she recognizes in other boxes then sits in one of the very comfortable chairs.  Her internal clock pings, telling her that it is quickly approaching 1900 and neither the mysterious Johnson nor any of the other guests have arrived yet.  Her reverie is interrupted by several uniformed Opera House staffers.  Three bottles of a good vintage champaign are set in ice and six elegant flutes are set on a silver tray that is put on the table in the box.  Several trays of hors d'oeuvres are put on smaller tables that are strategically placed around the box.  Tanya tips each man well according to his station, thanking them all.  The supervisor provides her with a card with his comm code on it in case she needs anything else.  She asks him to be ready to provide other liquid refreshments as she does not know the habits of her guests.

That done and the men gone, she pours herself some champaign and waits for both of the plays to begin......the one on the stage and the one in her box.
« Last Edit: <05-12-15/0944:39> by Mercy Merchant »

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-12-15/0752:54> »
So, he was going to meet a dead man at the Opera?  It seemed unlikely, but no stranger than some of the other meetings he’d had over the years.  It would be best to be prepared for a measure of conflict, even if the Opera house was too exposed to make an ambush likely.  Pulling up an AR map of Downtown he located a route to a secure parking garage near his destination.  Regretfully he would have to leave his heavier arsenal there.  Even with the correct, fake, licences it would be unwise to draw that degree of attention, and his lined coat would feel substantially lighter without the reassuring bulk of the Guardian in the built-in holster.  Of course he couldn’t ride through the Seattle weather in a suit and he could hardly turn up to the Opera in bike leathers but thankfully he had the time to drop the bike, return home and then take a taxi Downtown…not for the first time he promised to buy himself a car when the next run was through.  He had become too accustomed to getting rides from team mates…

He stepped out of the taxi and cinched the lined coat tighter around his throat.  The large black umbrella unfurled above him, serving to keep the crappy weather out of his face and his face off the various surveillance devices littering the plex.  It also served as a convenient mounting location for the three micro cameras which gave him a degree of three sixty vision.  The Light Fire was tucked into the slide on his forearm, the mechanism tested at least twice for potential snags…time to go and get some culture…
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #8 on: <05-12-15/1302:36> »
[Saturday, 207505111846L]

The Seattle Opera House is an impressive structure, with architecture that suggests solid, old stonework, while maintaining a modern touch.  It isn't the original structure that was on Mercer Street, just a few blocks down, it was moved perhaps forty or fifty years ago to it's current location.

Tonight, the Opera is busy, so many of Seattle's well-to-do are in attendance, it almost eases your paranoia of walking into a trap.

@ Kachina

As Kachina walks up the stairs towards the will call, an ARO pops up in the corner of her vision, indicating a message.  It looks like it's from Manny.  She thumbs her commlink and the message reads across the display in her contacts, providing her with its contents while she keeps moving.

>>>>>[Hey, lovely.  I looked into those names for you.  None of them are in my immediate circles, but I was able to suss out the important bits.  All of them have been steady worker bees in your line of work.  Nothing really good... or more importantly: bad... to set them apart.  But it's probably a good thing I haven't heard of em, means they've kept their heads down.  Looks like someone's putting something together, then?  Man... busy night.  Good luck, chica.]<<<<<

@ Mother

It feels nice to be out, actually, dressed to impress and standing with Seattle's elite and fitting right in.  Well, mostly fitting right in.  In a hundred years, there's been progress... and attention shifts... but bigotry will never fade away and a few stares her way indicate where it still lives.

A message from Terr0r leaves her without any more knowledge than she already had, the commlink that sent the message never popped up again.  They were able to get advance warning on the seating.  Turns out whomever had arranged this was able to pull some strings.  A first tier box, right in front, stage left.  It didn't get any better.

Standing in the front for a few moments, she shifts her gaze to the Astral.  A few awakened individuals in the crowd, and some cyberware, but nothing stands out.  If there are any magical protections here, they are well hidden.

@ Kumiha

Getting into the public host is easy, it invites a MARK and he's in.  Finding the schedules and  general layout are easy.  Looking it over, he can see that it contains everything except the backstage areas and the basement.  It doesn't take much to access the backend of the host and find those items as well.

At least if it goes sour, he knows all of the ways out.

Afterwards, he dresses up and makes his way to the theater.

@ Tanya

As she sits, the curtain behind her pulls aside as a distinguished looking gentleman steps in.  He's wearing an exquisitely fitted Mortimer Berwick, a choice that shows taste but lacks the showy extravagance of Zoe's Heritage line.  Tanya estimates that he is in his fifties or low sixties.  He has allowed his hair to gray and it is short.  A small amount of product holds it impeccably in place.  His neatly trimmed mustache and beard are also streaked with gray.  Noticing Tanya, he offers a smile that completes the picture.  He extends his right hand, his palm facing slightly upward.

"Lady Marisart?" he asks, as he takes her hand in his, covering it then with his left hand in a gesture of both warmth and familiarity.  "I appreciate your efforts in arranging our gathering this evening.  I am James, it is my genuine pleasure to meet you."

@ All

Tickets were easy.  The name granted at will-call earned you a pass into the theater's large interior.  There were no scans or checks, which indicates an expectation that credentials might not have been provided, had the attendant asked.

Inside the grand foyer, the elegant interior showed class and nuyen, lots of nuyen.

Now, it was time to find your seats.  For some, as easy as calling up the floor plan.  For others, ushers stood at every doorway, waiting to show you to your box.  Box 1B...
« Last Edit: <05-12-15/1305:11> by Jayde Moon »
That's just like... your opinion, man.

skulldixon

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <05-12-15/1456:43> »
Kumiho enters the box 1B, nodding to each person who is already seated before seating himself. He situates his shoulder bag next to him within easy reach and keeps a look out for anything that might clue him into what this is all about. He tries to main cool and confident, but occasionally he stretches his neck to the side a little to release the tension building there.

[spoiler]
Perception Check: 4d6t5 3
[/spoiler]
"speaking out loud"
Text and thought

Lighthouse

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <05-12-15/1722:34> »
Mother adjusts her electrochromatic wig which is a deep purple to match her dress.

[spoiler]Mother's affected southern drawl comes through in her text to Terr0r >>>>Terr0r how would you like to cause some mischeif on a whole lot of rich bitches?? I have in my pocket a datatap and a datachip containing the orchestral version of Thriller I need the last song in the opera edited. Can you make this happen? Mother looks around for a place to plug in her datatap Perception roll[/spoiler]

Mother smiles to herself letting an attendant take her shawl.
« Last Edit: <05-12-15/1753:52> by Lighthouse »

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <05-12-15/1942:44> »
Great spirit protector of Man, thank you to have answered my call. I need you to invigorate my soul with your might until you must depart this plane.

She felt the Mana energy of the Spirit irradiating through her. Filled with confidence, she made her way to the reserved box.  Upon entering she saw a few persons had arrived already. She recognized Lady Tanya and Mother and Kumiho thanks to the file Manny had just forwarded her. She was first surprised to see them here as they had just mentioned meeting together on the Needle.net. Coincidence, really?
She didn't recognize the older gentleman.

Well, what a pleasant company we have here. She announced to notify of her arrival. As usual she stood straight, proud, with an intimidating stance and presence, looking much taller and confident than she really was.

[spoiler]
Ask the Spirit of Man to cast and sustain Increase Charisma on Kachina
Spirit of Man: Increase Charisma Spell F6: 16d6t5 9
CHA +4 (max augmented attribute) [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <05-12-15/2344:06> by obidancer »
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

skulldixon

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <05-12-15/2002:48> »
 Noticing several of the people who has joined him in the box, Kumiho pulls his bag closer and does something inside it; keeping it hidden as well as he can he sets his deck up as a jammer.
This takes a minute to set up, but once it is completed he turns to those who he recognizes.

"I assume you all received a message from our mutual acquaintance and a ticket to this fair event?" He says with one eyebrow raised in a question.
" We can speak somewhat freely since I have jammed the airways to make it less easy for others to ease drop on what is said here."

[spoiler]
Jam Signals: 13d6t5 5

Deck Setup listed in OOC thread
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <05-12-15/2006:06> by skulldixon »
"speaking out loud"
Text and thought

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-13-15/0019:43> »
Tanya stands as the distinguished gentleman enters pushes the curtain aside and enters the box.  She holds out her hand to take his.  "Good evening, James.  And please call me Tanya unless you have a need to remain formal.  I am glad that you could make it before the curtains rise.  You are the first to arrive so far.  I will refrain from asking the questions I am burning to have answers for as I am sure that you do not wish to repeat yourself too many times."  She motions to a shelf at the railing where five pairs of opera glasses sit.  "Please take one if you do not have your own.  Would you care for some champaign?"

Tanya engages James in small talk about the evening's performance, which she has already seem twice during its run in Seattle.  She stands again when each of the others enters.  She introduces herself, welcoming each to her box and telling them that she hopes they enjoy the view.  She offers refreshments and a set of glasses to everyone as they enter the box.  Her intent is to show grace and make everyone feel welcome.  She learned long ago that there is usually something positive to emphasize about anyone and she does so tonight.  Everyone gets a genuine compliment as she works the small group.  Her cultured British accent is evident, as is a faint scent of jasmine perfume in the air.   As the clock ticks down to curtain time, she looks about and says, "We seem to be missing Mr. Kelsey.  I do hope that he makes it before the curtain as they will shut the doors and do not let anyone in after that until the intermission.  Does anyone know him to give him a call?" 

She raises an eyebrow at the mention of the jammer, but says nothing.  She pours everyone a glass of champaign and raises her glass.  "I would like to offer a toast to our friend, Lyle Green.  Lyle, you will be sorely missed for your wit, your candor, and your uncanny ability to see the essential value in everyone.  We honor your memory."  With that she raises her glass high then drinks from the flute. 

When she lowers her glass she looks to James as if expecting him to take the stage now.  "It might be best to wait for the intermission before talking too much about Lyle or anything else.  It is generally considered bad form to talk during the show.  And this really is an excellent production."

Lighthouse

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <05-13-15/0143:16> »
Enchanté. Nice to meet all y'all.

Said Mother in her faux southern drawl while taking a seat. She took an opera glass and one of champaign and said

To Lyle. He always had a kind word and he laughed at all my jokes. A dear friend...

Mother took a sip of her champaign.

Now are you misses Johnson? Mother asked Tanya.