NEWS

Modular Limbs

• 49 Replies

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-26-17/1652:16> »
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Adamo1618

« Reply #16 on: <04-26-17/1926:11> »
I think i makes more sense to make the appropriate connector simply cost the Essence of what limb would be missing anyway. If I get my arm chopped off and have a connector installed, what difference does it make what kind of cyberlimb I hook up? Why would a fancy arm give me more flesh?
Balance.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-27-17/0123:58> »
Modular penis. Just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE

Do I want to click that link with the given context?

Of course!

It's on YouTube, so it won't be awful. :D

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <04-27-17/0219:26> »
another benefit for the hands and feet are you dont really need escape artist tests if you can just take you hands and feet off and put them back on

MDMann

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <04-27-17/1107:13> »
Swap it out. Have a spider penis that can scurry around remotely.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-27-17/1322:16> »
Swap it out. Have a spider penis that can scurry around remotely.

On the one hand, my brain went to a poofy-legged samurai-type, huffing around in the shadows and peeking around corners, and it managed to be both disturbing and funny, so, that's a win.

On the othe rhand, once you add drones and surreptitiousness to the mix, you wind up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIcu100aTSA

&#24525;

« Reply #21 on: <04-27-17/1912:47> »
Ok, let's see if I've got this straight. As an example I want a fully modular, obvious cyber arm.

I start with my Modular full arm connector (.3). I attach the "full arm" to me and, before changing anything else, have 12 (limb-3) capacity.

Next I'll have a lower limb connector added, which costs 10 capacity. Neato I have my second port. In comes my Modular lower limb thus adding 8 (limb-2) capacity. I currently have 2 (upper arm 12-10) + 8 (lower limb-2) = 10 capacity.

Lastly I'll install a Modular hand connector, 5 capacity. Finally I plug in my Modular hand with 3 capacity (limb-1).

After all of this I think I've got 8 total capacity. Notably I've got three sections of 2, 3, & 3 capacity slots from top to bottom.

Is this right?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-28-17/0209:04> »
That's what I thought it was, but Wakshaani corrected it. Apparently, the modular version of a limb has the "connector" built in, which is why it has less capacity. So if you have the connector, you can just connect a fully normal limb to that port and run with it.

So, corrected numbers would be 5, 5, and 4 from upper arm to hand.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <04-28-17/1441:24> »
Modular penis. Just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE
So, are male genitalia a genuine replacement option? Say, for a pistol? So next time you get the line "Is that your gun, or are you just happy to see me?", you can confirm.

Besides, modular limbs strike me as great for changelings and nartaki.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <04-28-17/1546:38> »
If expensive but ya Cyber genitalia has a capacity of 1 so Cyberfangs and maybe One-shot dartgun are viable options, one could argue cyber finger accessories are viable too Finger pistol Finger grenade Cyberlighter Cyberlight Credstick Glass cutter Lockpick "Injector"

&#24525;

« Reply #25 on: <04-28-17/1610:51> »
That's what I thought it was, but Wakshaani corrected it. Apparently, the modular version of a limb has the "connector" built in, which is why it has less capacity. So if you have the connector, you can just connect a fully normal limb to that port and run with it.

Right but say a Modular full arm is simply one piece (with only the connector at the shoulder). If I wanted to have a connector at the elbow wouldn't that cost Capacity?

&#24525;

« Reply #26 on: <04-28-17/1730:11> »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-28-17/1810:02> »

Right but say a Modular full arm is simply one piece (with only the connector at the shoulder). If I wanted to have a connector at the elbow wouldn't that cost Capacity?

Like I said, the way you just laid it out is how I thought it was supposed to be. But according to Wakshanni, the intent was apparently for the Modular Connector to allow you to connect any normal limb to that port. Essentially, if you've bought the connector, you don't also have to purchase the limb as modular.

The first sentence of the description of the Modular Limb gear entry on page 88 of Chrome Flesh is the part that confuses me: "Any cyberlimb may be purchased with a modular connector, allowing it to be connected to another modular connector." By that statement, it seems like the gear is saying that for a limb to be able to connect to other modular connectors, you have to purchase it as a "modular limb"

I guess the intent was for the "cost" to come out of one side or the other, not both.

So, based on what Wakshaani has said, if you've bought the modular Shoulder connector, you get to connect a full arm (no loss in capacity). Then you install a Elbow connector, which allows you to connect a lower arm, with a wrist connector and a then a hand.

So your base Essence cost would be 1.3 (1 for the Arm, + 0.3 for the connector).
Your upper arm would have 5 capacity (15 - [10] for the connector)
Your lower arm would have 5 capacity (10 - [5] for the connector)
Your hand would have 4 capacity.

As I've said, Shinobu, my original reading was the same as yours. The modular connector was required to utilize a modular limb. But I guess if you have the modular connector port the cost of making a normal cyberlimb "plug in" is negligible. Buying the Modular limb version (the one that costs extra nuyen and has less capacity) is like buying a limb with the connector taking up part of that limb, rather than taking up space in the body.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <04-28-17/1913:55> »
If expensive but ya Cyber genitalia has a capacity of 1 so Cyberfangs and maybe One-shot dartgun are viable options, one could argue cyber finger accessories are viable too Finger pistol Finger grenade Cyberlighter Cyberlight Credstick Glass cutter Lockpick "Injector"
Man, you cheered me up there.
Just the image of a runner pulling out his penis and placing it on the counter for payment. Genius. You should also consider the bulk modification

Though what I meant was: If it's an actual "limb", you could install a waste storage and modular connector and then install modular gear. Like an actual pistol. It's listed under cosmetics, however.
[suspicious] Speaking of which, there could be a run where the client has had it stolen .... how did we get to this topic.[/suspicious]

Has someone already calculated which combination gives you the most capacity/essence?
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-28-17/1933:38> »
Man, you cheered me up there.
Just the image of a runner pulling out his penis and placing it on the counter for payment. Genius. You should also consider the bulk modification

Though what I meant was: If it's an actual "limb", you could install a waste storage and modular connector and then install modular gear. Like an actual pistol. It's listed under cosmetics, however.
[suspicious] Speaking of which, there could be a run where the client has had it stolen .... how did we get to this topic.[/suspicious]

Has someone already calculated which combination gives you the most capacity/essence?

Hate to break it to you, but cybergenitals don't have 1 capacity, they take up 1 capacity. You can install a replacement set into a cybertorso. Y'know, for those horribly mangled cases that still want to get down with a partner and perform horizontal cyber-tango.
They are not a limb, they can't hold additional gear, etc.