NEWS

What skill/gun would you recommend for a mage?

• 111 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #105 on: <01-07-16/0313:53> »
People obviously forget that handy little side rule that your GM may allow you to substitute similar skills at a penalty if you want to use a skill you don't have.

That definitely applies for the firearms group, at least in my group.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #106 on: <01-08-16/2222:01> »
People obviously forget that handy little side rule that your GM may allow you to substitute similar skills at a penalty if you want to use a skill you don't have.

which is another reason I prefer automatics...
Knowing machine pistols can easily substitute for pistols
Knowing assault rifles can easily substitute longarms.

But knowing just pistols...hard time selling me you can substitute it for longarms....
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #107 on: <01-10-16/0839:51> »

which is another reason I prefer automatics...
Knowing machine pistols can easily substitute for pistols

But knowing just pistols...hard time selling me you can substitute it for longarms....

Why? Bows and crossbows are in the same group and they share almost nothing in common when it comes to how you shoot one. At least with guns it's the same principles usually, just a different shaped object.

Squirrel

• Chummer
« Reply #108 on: <01-10-16/0851:13> »
That is why firearm should be divided in skills by range rather than type, but this is a different topic.
Any Character that I do not want a specific weapon for and that has only karma for one skill I'd take automatics not even close to a debate. especially if you are allowed to substitute for that one occasion you need the taser.
Please excuse my English as it is not my first language. Misunderstandings are inevitable and smell peachy enough to be forgiven. Thank you :)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #109 on: <01-10-16/0913:36> »

At least with guns it's the same principles usually, just a different shaped object.

I don't even...

Adamo1618

« Reply #110 on: <01-10-16/1001:51> »
Are you condescending on purpose or is it subconscious?

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #111 on: <01-11-16/0258:38> »

At least with guns it's the same principles usually, just a different shaped object.

I don't even...

You don't even what? Understand? Clearly you don't. As an archer who shoots regularly and someone who shoots all kinds of guns recreationally I can tell you that a crossbow operates much like a gun (they even make crossbow uppers for ar-15s). Bows do not.

A gun is a single, solid, machine. Point and click. That is an oversimplification, but not by a mile. A bow on the other hand is not solid. The power input is dependent upon the user, and thus the goal is reproducibility. It takes a lot of strength built up over time (with muscles nearly no one uses unless they are an archer) to be able to even pull a bow of sufficient poundage, let alone do it consistently.

A crossbow removes the need to physically draw and hold. You have some kind of assist (crank, pulleys, etc) and a trigger mechanism. Once it is loaded, a crossbow is effectively very similar to a gun. Point and click.