NEWS

War-Amazon

• 8 Replies

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« on: <02-28-11/1025:52> »
No this isn't a discussion of war in the amazon.  But rather will war be officially available at amazon.com.  I see a few sellers but not an official amazon purchase option.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-28-11/1441:26> »
That's a good question. I'll have to check on that one--I'll try to do that at the next production meeting.

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-28-11/1545:40> »
This comes up on the BattleTech side every now and then, the answer is in the past Amazon asked for a slice of the pie that was larger than others got for selling. The predicted volume of sales, combined with getting others (read: B&M stores) upset, was not considered worth it. That's why you rarely, if ever, saw Amazon selling BattleTech books under their own name. All the times I saw books listed they were either through an Amazon retailer, or with a lead time so far out that books were going through the general distribution channels and Amazon just ordered them like they were a regular store.

A position I agree with handily, by the way. Brick and mortar stores are how RPGs live and die. They are the last group that you want to have upset with you. But that's a topic for another day...or at the very least another thread.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <02-28-11/1928:55> »
Sorry, has to be said:  Support your FLGS.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-01-11/0528:17> »
I thought the CGL policy was not to supply direct to Amazon because doing so damages the FLGS market, which is how you recruit new gamers...
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #5 on: <03-24-11/2222:49> »
I have no problem getting my new books from BattleShop, but do they deliver in Brazil? I've gotten a few SR4E books from Amazon in the past, but most of them I get from my workplace anyway (bookstore with lots of contacts abroad).
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <03-24-11/2226:10> »
Yeah, international orders are a major issue that I've found out about.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell shipping from New York State, USA to the Province of Ontario, Canada is considered "Overseas".
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-24-11/2247:41> »
Eventually our books tend to make it to Amazon, though often through their partners, and not directly from Amazon. I can't say where they ship to.

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

Wesley Street

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-27-11/1242:28> »
Just as a side note... I've found many if not most third-party sellers using the Amazon market to sell Shadowrun products are FLGSs and comics/hobby retailers. Several local stores in my area use Amazon and other 'net retailers along with their brick-and-mortar operations to expand their reach.

So you're not necessary killing FLGSs by purchasing online.  ;)