NEWS

[S4] Simrig vs Sim Module + Trodes.

• 2 Replies

BouncingCactus

• Newb
« on: <01-10-14/2253:34> »
Hello all, the name's BouncingCactus. I'm what you would call "an aspiring theoretical 4th edition shadowrun player", which means I've never played the game but I've been trying to learn it on and of for the last two years or so. Now, one of the first things I noticed when I started to lurk around here was the number of times someone wanted help with a rigger/decker/hacker (which I completely understand. The matrix rules had me intimidated for months  ;) ). I'm yet another one, though it's just a specific question for now.

A simrig costs 1000Y, a sim module with trodes costs 150Y.  Assuming you have no interest in recording your forays into the matrix, why would a hacker/rigger get a simrig and not simply a sim module with trodes?

I feel like I'm missing something, apart from making your own BTLs - which seems kind of niche - what's the point?

Also, the rulebook state that a hot-sim'ed sim module is 250Y. Is that the cost on top of the 100Y base module for a total of 350, or does the 250 include the base price?
The reason I ask is because if it's included, what's the cost of hot-sim'in the module in a simrig?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <01-11-14/0131:52> »
The main benefit of a Simrig is that it records.  This is useful for a whole plethora of reasons.  For one, it allows you to share you senses with other members of the team.  You can have people hear anything you hear or see anything you see, even smell and touch and taste.  The usefulness of being able to livestream what you are seeing and hearing to other teammates should not be underestimated.

This however mainly comes into play when using a Tacnet, which is an amazing piece of software in Unwired that I highly suggest you look into.  It gives you some serious bonuses and is a great reason for a simrig.  It gives mechanical bonuses for almost everything from defense tests to attack rolls to stealth tests.

Also, the rulebook clearly says hotsim is "+250¥".  Meaning it's on top of the 100 base for a normal sim module.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

BouncingCactus

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-12-14/0231:10> »
Thank you very much, I'll look into it!  :)