NEWS

[SR5] Move-by-Wire System

• 62 Replies

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <07-02-15/2003:11> »
This was my favorite piece of 'ware when it first came out.  I did not really like the 4th edition version (thinking it made more sense as a cybersuite).

I have not seen the new version in Chrome Flesh, but from what I gather here, it gives level as bonus to Reaction, level x3 bonus to Initiative, level x2 Skillwires, and +1d6 Initiative.  That's significantly better than 4th edition but...

I was really hoping with fifth edition gong back to initiative dice, we'd see the old level 1-4 Move-by-Wire return.  Unless there is something else in Chrome Flesh I'm not aware of, that means magic is still the only thing that can give you +4d6 (for a total of 5d6) initiative dice.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <07-02-15/2039:49> »
I never played 3rd edition but 4th it was awesome. But yes Spells, Edge & Drugs are still the only way to reach that Mythical +4d6.

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <07-03-15/0427:06> »
The thing is, with MbW you have a massive bonus to your initative but can still add more dice (up to +3d6) with stuff like spells and drugs. Also, it says "Move-by-wire is incompatible with any other reaction-enhancing augmentation." so maybe there is an initative enhancing augmentation that it's compatible with? (edit: Nope, nothing that gives dice without also adding to REA or being incompatible by its own description).
« Last Edit: <07-03-15/0436:16> by prionic6 »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #18 on: <07-03-15/0614:11> »
In 2nd and 3rd MbW was the king of speed, especially at rating 4. Sadly you would need at least beta grade to make it usable. Back then it gave quickness (modern day agility), reaction and ini dice. It also improved stealth skills (maybe even athletics).
The constant shaking drove you made in the end though. Was awesome and always wanted a char built around it
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-03-15/1106:09> »
Oh yeah, the Move-by-WIre twitch is super-distinctive and absolutely a character hook. That's always been a great bit of fluff and no way was I leaving that out. :)

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <07-03-15/1843:36> »
From what I have read here, I think it is cool what you did with it in this edition.  I still prefer the original (and if I ever got to play/run a game, would probably houserule a version of it), but this one definitely makes you have to think about which augmentation (among the several now) you want for Initiative boosting.

Even though I did not like the 4th version, it was no question you'd take it over Wired Reflexes.  Now, seems you have to weigh options between this and a Wired Reflexes/ Reaction Enhancers combo.  Everything having a price. :)

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <07-04-15/1014:00> »
The one thing that I don't like about the Move-by-Wire is that it's forbidden. Combined with the obviousness of the twichting, I can see a lot of problems for anyone having it implanted.

Any KE patrol officer might want to conduct a quick drug/alcohol test, while maybe discreetly screening for other 'ware. Or just arrest the runner right there to have him scanned.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-04-15/1913:54> »
Too many things wrong for these to wind up in real builds.  Availability puts it out of reach of starting characters and there is no way you're ripping out 4 or 5 essence to fit these in.  They buff both Reaction and Initiative so you can't stack 'em with other ware so these will be your only boost and for the Essence they're way overpriced.

That they can be used as Skillwires is okayish.  But you still need Skilljacks and the soft ware. 

If you're trying to do a non-combat Skillwire build on a tight budget you may wind up with these, but not likely. 

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-04-15/2140:36> »
The one thing that I don't like about the Move-by-Wire is that it's forbidden. Combined with the obviousness of the twichting, I can see a lot of problems for anyone having it implanted.

Any KE patrol officer might want to conduct a quick drug/alcohol test, while maybe discreetly screening for other 'ware. Or just arrest the runner right there to have him scanned.

Any sort of +dice augmentation can make you twitchy, or at the very least they can all make it difficult to hold still (p. 365).
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-05-15/0317:27> »
It looks like it's even worse and you only get one more die period, with that only coming with a minimum rating of 2.

So yeah, it looks like one of the most interesting implants has been completely devastated.

Rating 1 move-by-wire does not offer any additional Initiative Dice, but Rating 2 and Rating 3 offer +1D6 Initiative Dice, meaning Rating 2 offers +2 Reaction, +6 Initiative, and +1D6 Initiative Dice, and Rating 3 offers +3 Reaction, +9 Initiative, and +1D6 Initiative Dice.
« Last Edit: <07-05-15/0319:45> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <07-05-15/0502:21> »
Any sort of +dice augmentation can make you twitchy, or at the very least they can all make it difficult to hold still (p. 365).

My worry is that the description of the Move-by-Wire system describes the visual twitches as very obvious. Much more so than other products.
Wired Reflexes has the benefit of being off by default. Synaptic Boosters in higher grades might give away their presence, but then it's super hard to spot bioware. All other enhancements provide only +1d6 and maybe some reaction, are incompatible with everything else, hard to detect and are on the line with a natural occuring quality (lightning reflexes).

Maybe I'm reading too much into the MvB description. But depending on how heavy your game is on the trenchcoat part, using these systems could be really hard on your fake SINs.

Personally, I don't see a reason why that piece of ware is forbidden compared to others, which are only restricted.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-05-15/1108:43> »
I will second the question on legality. If it's got such an iconic giveaway and it's forbidden, won't that just mean pretty much any security checkpoint with (or maybe even without) a cyberware scanner you go through means hefty bribes and/or immediate panicbutton?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-05-15/1144:16> »
It certainly doesn't help, no.

Think of it as modern-day Meth in a way. You see a skinny guy with picked scabs all over, that's blinky and twitchy? Odds are he's on Meth. MOST of the time, they go through life with people just sorta backinga way from them, but when they encounter police, they know they need to not be in the line of sight.

MbW, same thing. Most people just see a twitchy guy and assume "He's on something" but won't call the cops as long as you're in middle class or lower areas. If the cops *do* show up, however, or you go where they are, then you're gonna be flagged, quickly. On teh other hand, if you live in the Barrens, hang out with gangers, attend dive bars, and generally only mingle with the undesirable parts of society, you'll be fine.

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <07-05-15/2058:18> »
I disagree that it is sub-optimal.  I think how it has changed now really makes it viable for which Initiative booster to choose, and will probably depend on the type of character too.

Compare Wired Reflexes, Synaptic Booster, Move-by-Wire.  All offer up to +3 Reaction.  Synaptic and Wired offer up to +3-18 to Initiative.  Move offers up to +10-15.

Do you go with Essence friendly but costly bioware?  Do you go with cyber that can stack to give you a potential +6 Reaction (at the cost of wireless)?  Or do you go with a slightly cheaper cyber that gives a nice guaranteed Initiative range (at level 3 its like rolling a 4 and 5 every time), plus offers an integrated Skillwire package (handy for that runner who needs that one skill)?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #29 on: <07-05-15/2225:38> »
MbW used to be the quickest of all initiative enhancements (I don't know about 4th though) and I have been thinking to let it return to that place.
Would increasing the initiative bonus to +4 per level be better than increasing dice to +2d6 at lvl 3?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?