NEWS

[SR5] Street Level Ork Tank

• 7 Replies

Kelsey C

• Newb
« on: <11-26-14/0026:02> »
It's me again! Long story short my team (well basically one teammate) frakked up so bad we all need to make new characters. I wanted to try something different so this time I'm going to try a beefy tank like character. I'm sure I've made some mistakes or missed things that are vital, I usually do. So I come to you guys for some critiques on what I have so far. Keep in mind it is street level :)

Priorities
A: Attributes (24)
B: Resources (50000¥)
C: Ork
D: Skills (22 skills)
E: Magic

Attribues/Stats
Body: 8
Agility 5(6)
Reaction 5(6)
Strength 8(9)
Willpower 5
Logic 2 (+10k)
Intuition 4
Charisma 2 (+10k)

Edge 1
Ess 2.8125
Initiative 9(10)+1D6

Qualities
Distinctive Style (-5k)
Prejudiced; Outspoken (-7k)

Skills
Exotic Melee Weapon (Riot Shield) 6
Gymnastics 1
Negotiation 2 (Bargaining +2)
Perception 2
Pilot Ground Craft 1
Running 1
Sneaking 1
Unarmed Combat 6 (Cyber-Implants +2)

Augements
Dermal Plating 1 (Used) 4500¥
Hand Blade (Used) 1875¥
Muscle Replacement 1 (Used) 18750¥
Reaction Enhancers 1 (Used) 9750¥

Weapons & Armour
Riot Shield 1500¥
Armour Jacket 1000¥

Gear
Credstick, Silver 20¥
Credstick, Standard 5¥
Clothing 300¥
Contacts Rating 3 (Flare Compensation, Image Link, Vision Magnification) 1125¥
Harley-Davidson Scorpion 12000¥
Jazz 75¥
Kamikaze 100¥
Meta Link Commlink 100¥
Respirator Rating 1 50¥
x2 Stim Patch Rating 3 75¥

Contacts & Lifestyle
1 Month Street Lifestyle 0¥
Fake SIN Rating 3 7500¥
Fake Driving License Rating 3 600¥
Fake Riot Shield License 600¥

Fixer Connection 3/Loyalty 3

I spent 20 karma on attributes, 5 on nuyen and I gained 12 from qualities. So that should be all my karma used up.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-26-14/0045:34> »
Try to switch ¥¥¥ and metatype priorities and see if it works. Higher edge is always good. Get plastic bone lacing and drop muscle replacement and maybe RE. Drop Body to 7 and put that point to agility to compensate for the loss of muscle replacement. I think you should drop the exotic melee too, bashing enemies with a shield is very cool but you could really use a firearm (or a bow/thrown weapon). A datajack is recommended but not necessary.
Alternatively, you can just go adept with magic B and be a real powerhouse.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Kelsey C

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-26-14/0114:27> »
Try to switch ¥¥¥ and metatype priorities and see if it works. Higher edge is always good. Get plastic bone lacing and drop muscle replacement and maybe RE. Drop Body to 7 and put that point to agility to compensate for the loss of muscle replacement. I think you should drop the exotic melee too, bashing enemies with a shield is very cool but you could really use a firearm (or a bow/thrown weapon). A datajack is recommended but not necessary.
Alternatively, you can just go adept with magic B and be a real powerhouse.

I don't have enough nuyen to do what you suggested, I would like the extra edge though. Do I not need the Exotic Skill to use the riot shield? If I can still use it without the skill I could totally get rid of the skill. I don't really need to attack with it, I just want the armour rating.

Adept is a possibility. I just think being all cybered up is kind of cooler than just being magically tough. Guess I'm doing fashion over function in that sense.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <11-26-14/1225:30> »
If you want to be really tanky, get rid of Dermal Plating and the Hand Blade. Plastic Bone Lacing, or Aluminum if you can get it, is much better.

You can default on the Riot Shield skill, but having the skill is useful to get the most out of it. Honestly though, you need some sort of ranged combat. Even if it's just pistols. Some Nonconductivity upgrades on your Armor Jacket would be useful as well.

Kelsey C

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-26-14/1352:06> »
If you want to be really tanky, get rid of Dermal Plating and the Hand Blade. Plastic Bone Lacing, or Aluminum if you can get it, is much better.

You can default on the Riot Shield skill, but having the skill is useful to get the most out of it. Honestly though, you need some sort of ranged combat. Even if it's just pistols. Some Nonconductivity upgrades on your Armor Jacket would be useful as well.

I can only get plastic, aluminum is 12R which is 2 over the limit. It does seem the bone lacing does a lot more for me, gives me an extra body for damage resistance plus the armour and makes my unarmed attacks physical damage. I can work some skills around to get pistols, it does make sense to at least be able to fire one if I need to.

Thanks! :)

8-bit

« Reply #5 on: <11-26-14/1401:27> »
Used Aluminum Bone Lacing is 8R Availability. That would give you 4 extra soak dice, as well as extra Unarmed Damage. Seems like a positive tradeoff for the Dermal Plating and Hand Blade. For Street Level, that's a really expensive bike and Fake SIN. Not that it's necessarily bad, but seems a little expensive to me.

I would move one point from Body to Charisma or Logic, that will free up 10 Karma for some contacts or skills.

Kelsey C

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <11-26-14/1451:01> »
Used Aluminum Bone Lacing is 8R Availability. That would give you 4 extra soak dice, as well as extra Unarmed Damage. Seems like a positive tradeoff for the Dermal Plating and Hand Blade. For Street Level, that's a really expensive bike and Fake SIN. Not that it's necessarily bad, but seems a little expensive to me.

I would move one point from Body to Charisma or Logic, that will free up 10 Karma for some contacts or skills.

I didn't realize used was lower availability! Awesome!

The bike is sort of a background thing but I could maybe get rid of it to be more effective combat wise. On the character before this one I had a rating 2 fake SIN and the GM kind of hosed me on it so I went rating 3 this time. I will totally use the attribute advice, it makes sense.

I could swap my attribute and resource priority, afford to keep the bike, get the aluminum bone lacing and keep the dermal plating/handblade. The trade off is losing 3 willpower. I've read it's important for a tanky like character to have some decent willpower because you resist spells with it and it's much easier to get through willpower than it is 30 armour dice.

I really appreciate all the tips, thanks!
« Last Edit: <11-26-14/1500:24> by Kelsey C »

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #7 on: <11-27-14/0714:24> »
i'd be half tempted to build as an adept to be honest. resources B for 50k is pretty much a bummer, between combat sense, mystic armour and such, you could probably get to a point where you'd have a stack of dodge dice and a pretty healthy soak pool as well, especially if you're taking a shield
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor