NEWS

Genetech vs. Cyber/Biolimb a few questions

• 13 Replies

Seras

• Chummer
« on: <01-10-19/1831:24> »
Hi guys :),

A question about the average joe wageslave in shadowrun

On page 158 of Chromeflesh ( the page with Leonisation) it says, that there is a genetherapy which will completly restore your body within a week.
Availability 10 cost; 35,000 Nuyen. With cyber or bioware it is more expensive, but still

A full cyberlimb or a full biolimb is 15.000 or 20.000 respectivly.

In case of severe injury, does this not make the genetech more attractive than getting the ware ?

Not for runners obiously, with all their augmentattions, but the average person with no ware, this seems pretty tempting.

What about mages ?

Discuss
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-10-19/2016:01> »
It doesn't make any sense when you read everything :P

You are referring to "Augmented healing" which is listed under "REJUVENATION TREATMENT" which has this to say:  (bold by me)

Augmented healing is a wholebody
therapy that restores the body to its full genetic
health template. The patient’s Condition Monitors are
healed of all damage regardless of the source, but that’s
just a side effect. The real benefit is the complete regrowth
of injured organs, crushed bones, severed limbs,
and damaged nerves.
The treatment doesn’t repair
damaged cybernetics or nanoware—in fact, when these
systems are present, the treatment costs an additional
twenty-five percent for the nanite treatment to keep the
healing body from rejecting the machines. Augmented
healing can also be used to repair bioware systems, increasing
the cost by twenty-five percent.

So you can regrow a Goddamned ARM for $35,000 in a SINGLE week?!?!?

But, to fix an optical pigmentation issue, its 1 month, and $90,000...... Screw you Color blind people! And your little dog too!! :P

No, Me thinks the errata team should have a once over on this one before you get your hopes up....

Just on cellular mass and complexity, the arm wins over the eye every time....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-10-19/2048:45> »
As a gut feeling/WAG, I'm betting there's a missing zero on the printed price of the Augmented Healing.  It makes no economic sense that you can buy a new body for less than it costs to get a nice car.
« Last Edit: <01-10-19/2126:56> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-10-19/2232:38> »
As a gut feeling/WAG, I'm betting there's a missing zero on the printed price of the Augmented Healing.  It makes no economic sense that you can buy a new body for less than it costs to get a nice car.

$350,000 Is around the right price range, I agree. But there is still the time thing. i did some back of the envelope numbers and you'll see what I am talking about..

A leg is about 20% of the mass of the human body. So for a 200 lbs man, that's about 40lbs.

It takes a week for the procedure, which is 168 hours.

So, a 200 lbs man is re-growing his leg at a rate of around 0.25 lbs per hour! 

which makes the cost: $208.33 an hour... per quarter pound.

(You see where I am going with this??? Yes I am THAT evil capitalist :P)

So why Bother with a PERSON! THIS tech right here is a license to print money!!!!

Just add a cow.

At 2000lbs, and 20% body weight a limb... That's 1600lbs of meat!

the cow regrows those 4 limbs in 168 hours, or 9.5 POUNDS of meat an hour..

or $208.3 per 9.5 lbs.... or $5.4 per quarter pound....

(Less then what you pay for a Quarter Pounder from Mickey D's....)

Or, on a more chilling thought, this tech could help "solve" the "Ghoul problem".... in a very ghoulish way.
« Last Edit: <01-10-19/2302:28> by Reaver »

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <01-11-19/0921:19> »
Reaver: Brilliant!  I wonder how much ghouls would pay per pound?

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-11-19/1115:41> »
The price might be off, sure, but the real deterrent here is the fact it takes a week. Who has a week to just lounge around in a regenerative vat all day and night?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-11-19/1343:59> »
Reaver: Brilliant!  I wonder how much ghouls would pay per pound?

Your typical street ghoul? Probably not enough to make it worth while.

BUT, take the ghoul nation of Azamondo, where they have a nation's resources, and a nation of ghouls to feed...

This tech, combined with some "creative" legal language, and you have a recipe for a nation of true Horror...

Judge: "Mr. Smith, I find you guilty of the act of Corporate Espionage, and sentence you to a term of 5 years as 'Chattel' at the state food Processing Plant.
            For the duration of your sentence, your arms and legs shall be harvested and regrown for the good of feeding the nation. The very Nation you committed your crimes
            against."

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-11-19/1446:45> »

BUT, take the ghoul nation of Azamondo, where they have a nation's resources, and a nation of ghouls to feed...

This tech, combined with some "creative" legal language, and you have a recipe for a nation of true Horror...

Judge: "Mr. Smith, I find you guilty of the act of Corporate Espionage, and sentence you to a term of 5 years as 'Chattel' at the state food Processing Plant.
            For the duration of your sentence, your arms and legs shall be harvested and regrown for the good of feeding the nation. The very Nation you committed your crimes
            against."

It is already beeing done  ;). If you have access to the book dark terrors look up "project garden" in the ghoul queen and her people.

It is mentiond however that even that is not enough....
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-11-19/1453:54> »

against."

It is already beeing done  ;). If you have access to the book dark terrors look up "project garden" in the ghoul queen and her people.

It is mentiond however that even that is not enough....

I haven't read it fully through yet.
Maybe its time I did :P

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <01-11-19/1454:07> »
Back on topic, one reason I can see this as beeing very cheap is the fact that it might have limited use.

With most people beeing augmented some way or another ( even if it is just some beauty surgery) it just not  attractive to be returned to your original genetic state....near siegtedness, diabities, allergies..and such. Basically it is a weker form of the critter power regeneration....no bodyware unless it's delta grade ( good luck with that )

In a worst case scenario....you spend 35.000 on regeneration....and all your expensive upgrades go down the drain, you can start from scratch again !!!

...unless it was other geneware of course.

Speaking of which, may we show you are newest products ? .........^^

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #10 on: <01-11-19/1459:49> »
I'd read project garden as killing the humans (like farmers do with pigs -- try to get maximum growth out of them for minimum resource investment, cull most for food at that point, keep some for ongoing breeding until they are reaching the limits of their use for that then kill them too). 

I'll have to re-read, maybe they are taking a higher-tech approach than I'd realized!

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-11-19/2117:37> »
What, no one's going to challenge me on "who has a week to do this"? Come on guys, I know this Project Garden is more interesting, but I've mentally prepared a counter-counterargument and everything.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-11-19/2130:49> »
What, no one's going to challenge me on "who has a week to do this"? Come on guys, I know this Project Garden is more interesting, but I've mentally prepared a counter-counterargument and everything.

It was an Obvious trap..

<Insert pic of male in a dress and a beard here>

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #13 on: <01-12-19/0102:44> »
Well that was all just creepy. What did we learn today Kids?
Beefy Cyberarms are for shadowrunners, and anything else is best forgotten. If your mage losses a limb two things, one they should stop screwing around that damn mono-whip, and two blood crystal is fun for the whole family.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking