NEWS

Trigger Talk

• 428 Replies

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #180 on: <01-19-11/1023:51> »
That's why we jarheads have always done more with less - ever try to get a squid to sign off on gear for Marines? ;)
"Improvise,Adapt,Overcome" is our mantra for a reason ;)

semper fi brother. :)

Semper Fi  ;D
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Outsider

• Newb
« Reply #181 on: <01-20-11/1824:39> »
OK here something I think is cool and possibly usable in the game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_AAC_Blackout_(7.62x35mm)

Basicly in the game you could use the Colt M23(?) with the damage code of the AK 97. They should be different but I don't know because I don't have the books near by.
There are two things cheap in life. A plane ticket and piano wire.

V zhizne tolko dve veshi bivayut deshoviye: bilet na samolet i struna dla pianino.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #182 on: <01-20-11/1927:03> »
Basicly in the game you could use the Colt M23(?) with the damage code of the AK 97. They should be different but I don't know because I don't have the books near by.
Those have the same damage code in the 4th edition atleast, as the damage scale doesn't really have enought room to show damage difference between different AR calibers.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #183 on: <01-20-11/2014:03> »
Well, since War introduced the distinction between Assault Rifles and Battle Rifles, there is a difference, but it's not a huge one.

War also introduced High Power Chambering, so I'd either just go ahead and use those rules to simulate this product, or maybe just make it a simple +1 DV.

-k

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #184 on: <01-21-11/0432:13> »
Well, since War introduced the distinction between Assault Rifles and Battle Rifles, there is a difference, but it's not a huge one.

War also introduced High Power Chambering, so I'd either just go ahead and use those rules to simulate this product, or maybe just make it a simple +1 DV.

-k
Battle rifles shoot battle rifle caliber bullets, so no there really isn't room in the damage levels to show difference between AR calibers(after all battle rifles do +1 damage compared to AR:s)

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #185 on: <01-21-11/1005:12> »
The whole point of the linked weapon modification is to put a battle rifle caliber round into assault rifles. More or less.

-k

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #186 on: <01-21-11/1239:08> »
The whole point of the linked weapon modification is to put a battle rifle caliber round into assault rifles. More or less.
7,62x35mm is definedly not battle rifle caliber ammo, heck it's smaller then what AK-47 shoots(7,62x39mm)

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #187 on: <01-21-11/1309:13> »
Well, yeah, they went with that because they have the requirement of the round being able to fit in existing magazines.

But the idea is putting a bigger higher powered bullet in a weapon normally firing a smaller round.

So giving it battle rifle damage (+1 DV) isn't a bad compromise.

Or just use the High Powered Chambering rules.

-k

Outsider

• Newb
« Reply #188 on: <01-28-11/1309:11> »
There are two things cheap in life. A plane ticket and piano wire.

V zhizne tolko dve veshi bivayut deshoviye: bilet na samolet i struna dla pianino.

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #189 on: <01-28-11/1648:45> »

I have been toying with the idea of getting an Auto-Assault 16 shotgun and modifying it for HV, extending the drum magazine, adding a smartlink and skinlink, and adding a sling/foregrip to that weapon as well.  Shock Lock rounds seem the sensible choice here, also.  Keeping a couple of drums of flechette seems prudent.  Since it already uses a drum, increasing the capacity with a standard extension seems reasonable.

Arsenal page 26, sidebar "Only submachine guns and assault rifles  can be constructed as high-velocity weapons".  How about an AA 16 with armor-piercing flechette rounds from War! ?

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #190 on: <01-28-11/1719:12> »
Battle Rifles are a term for the old school weapons; FN FAL, HK G3, M14-which chamber 7.62x51mm Nato.  A firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle: 1) It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock); 2) It must be capable of selective fire; 3) It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a battle rifle; 4) Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine; 5) And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters.

If you are looking for a distinction between, say 5.56mm and 7.62x51mm, I would use the rules in War! But, seriously, why?  There is a reason weapons have evolved FROM battle rifles TOO assault rifles.  Assualt rifles weigh less, the ammo weighes less and is smaller so you can carry more, and the average range of a military encounter is within 300m (less so for urban, i.e. shadowrun-like).

This seems more about damage and meta gaming, IMHO.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #191 on: <01-29-11/1150:59> »

I have been toying with the idea of getting an Auto-Assault 16 shotgun and modifying it for HV, extending the drum magazine, adding a smartlink and skinlink, and adding a sling/foregrip to that weapon as well.  Shock Lock rounds seem the sensible choice here, also.  Keeping a couple of drums of flechette seems prudent.  Since it already uses a drum, increasing the capacity with a standard extension seems reasonable.

Arsenal page 26, sidebar "Only submachine guns and assault rifles  can be constructed as high-velocity weapons".  How about an AA 16 with armor-piercing flechette rounds from War! ?
The key text is highlighted by myself.  Constructed typically means "by the manufacturer."  Modified, OTOH, is entirely a different ball of wax.  The sidebar is sitting next to, and referring to, the HV weapons listed nearby.  The actual rules for modifying a weapon into an HV version of itself only states that FA weapons only.  It does refer to the sidebar on pg. 26, but, again that is for construction.  I would say modification is different, as it takes up modification "space" and costs a lot extra.

Also, it makes little sense that only SMG's and assault rifles are the only ones capable of being HV.  Why not regular old machine guns, are they not special enough?  MG's can be made with a higher ROF than an assault rifle, but SR simplifies this by using FA for everything capable for full auto-fire.  Not a problem there (it simplifies bookkeeping), but it feels silly to limit the modification to just SMG's and AR's.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #192 on: <01-30-11/0250:48> »
My personal favorite gun right now belongs to an eccentric Dwarf Rigger who goes by the name Hambone. Hambone may be married to his drones, but his mistress is his beloved Bessie, a customized Ruger Super Warhawk.

You start with the Warhawk, then you fill up all six slots with Large Mod Firing Selection Change (to add Full Auto) and High Power Chambering from War (+2 DV, -1 AP). After that, you overmod it to give it a Custom Look, engraving the name 'Bessie' on the side of the barrel.

You now have an 8P, -3AP Revolver that can fire a Long Burst, emptying the cylinder in a single shot and jumping the damage to 13P before net hits. Of course, Hambone applies both his Foot Anchors (+2 recoil comp) and his Cyberarm Gyromount (+3) whenever he fires it, nicely negating the -5 recoil mod from full auto. It's a bitch to reload, but its worth it seeing the look on a ganger's face when you pull this massive mother of gun out of your cyber holster and splatter his chrome troll buddy all over the payment in a single shot.
« Last Edit: <01-30-11/0253:29> by Ryo »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #193 on: <01-30-11/0952:06> »
Worth every nuyen.  ;D
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #194 on: <01-30-11/1546:45> »
If you are looking for a distinction between, say 5.56mm and 7.62x51mm, I would use the rules in War! But, seriously, why?  There is a reason weapons have evolved FROM battle rifles TOO assault rifles.  Assualt rifles weigh less, the ammo weighes less and is smaller so you can carry more, and the average range of a military encounter is within 300m (less so for urban, i.e. shadowrun-like).

This seems more about damage and meta gaming, IMHO.
You don't think that the appearance of Trolls, Heavy combat armor, cyber armor and magical armor might make lots of people to re-think that move form battle rifles to assault rifles.
Because i sure as hell do, actually that's more or less already happening in real life and our body armors aren't anywhere near what you can get in SR.